Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2022-04-18T12:47:13Z
Kay Adams think Panthers should trade for Jordan Love and think he has most value right now.

UserPostedImage
beast
2022-04-18T13:25:48Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Kay Adams think Panthers should trade for Jordan Love and think he has most value right now.

That's a nice way of her saying he's a bust... because if he developed more, he'd have more value and be worth a second contract.

And the Panthers already tried this when they traded for the Jets QB in Sam Darnold. So they should keep doing what failed them, because this one is Aaron Rodgers backup?

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-04-18T13:36:05Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

That's a nice way of her saying he's a bust... because if he developed more, he'd have more value and be worth a second contract.

And the Panthers already tried this when they traded for the Jets QB in Sam Darnold. So they should keep doing what failed them, because this one is Aaron Rodgers backup?

Impossible to intelligently say he's a bust. He's not even completed a third year in the NFL, and obviously hasn't played nearly enough to go one way or another.

Why would Panthers trade for Jordan Love? The discussion was under the belief he can be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick. So, take a guy who has two more years under contract, plus 5th year option and won't break your bank.

Sam Darnold is interesting. I remember lot of pundits heralding him as the next great thing his rookie season and now he's a punching bag.

That all being said. I don't think Panthers need Jordan Love. They are a mess of structure. HC might be let go after this season. They fired their OC after one-plus season and now have Ben McAdo? They need more.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2022-04-18T14:12:07Z
Anything less than a 1st round pick is a no. But that only gets you back to zero on the value the Packers expended so even that is not worth it. If a team wants a QB who they feel will be a franchise QB (Otherwise why bother trading for him? They can pick up any schmoe off the street.) I expect the Packers to want 2 first round picks as a minimum.

"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
olds70supreme
2022-04-18T16:17:14Z
I don't think initial investment means much to the shot-callers in most NFL front offices. What matters is what the GM believes the player is worth is to the team at that moment in time. At one point, Brian G valued Love as a 1rst round draft pick based on his potential and the uncertainty w/ Rodgers contract. I doubt his ceiling has risen, and the uncertainty w/ Rodgers contract, while on the face resolved, is not.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying that Love's trade worth is what Brian G values him at, which could vary wildly.

That said, I can't see any team trading two 1rsts for him.
blank
PHGuest
2022-04-18T17:22:33Z
Kay Adams is attractive, but isn't all that clued in on the Green Bay Packers.

The Packers have zero interest in, and will not even entertain thoughts of trading J-Love. Right now he is a very valuable backup that is still developing. Today is the first day he and Tom Clements will meet in person. That relationship I feel will help J-Love greatly. Some are harping on Aaron for skipping the April and May offseason stuff. Aaron not being there early helps J-Love as well. All the focus is on him. If someone thinks Aaron, Tom, Gute and LaFleur didn't plan this schedule of Aaron not coming in until the mandatory mini-camp in June, in part, to help J-Love and his development, then I don't know what those people are missing. Newsflash! Aaron cares about Jordan and will do things to help him become a better QB.

Yeah, J-Love is going no where. Gute values him highly, as he should. Like he said at the combine about trading Love: "I wouldn't even take those type of calls."
User Deleted Their Account
nerdmann
2022-04-18T19:58:28Z

PHGuest
2022-04-18T20:59:30Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I hope you're right altho Clements' major qualification is being Aaron's yesman.

Honestly the way Mark Murphy was talking in that recent interview, it almost sounds like Aaron will step aside when Love is ready. Dunno.

Tom Clements has never been a "yesman" to anyone. Tom was/is one of the best QB coaches the Packers ever had. Tom knows how to develop QBs. That is why Arizona hired him to work with Kyler Murray. Tom has a pretty prickly personality if you rub him the wrong way. Aaron credits Tom with a lot of his development as a young player. Aaron isn't looking for yes-man. Aaron likes to be coached. He missed having someone like Tom Clements pushing him. Tom will indeed also be very good for J-Love to further develop under.

Aaron wants another Lombardi Trophy. He may retire after getting that done. Will that be after this season? Stay tuned.
nerdmann
2022-04-18T21:42:17Z

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2022-04-18T21:47:11Z
Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

I don't think initial investment means much to the shot-callers in most NFL front offices. What matters is what the GM believes the player is worth is to the team at that moment in time. At one point, Brian G valued Love as a 1rst round draft pick based on his potential and the uncertainty w/ Rodgers contract. I doubt his ceiling has risen, and the uncertainty w/ Rodgers contract, while on the face resolved, is not.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying that Love's trade worth is what Brian G values him at, which could vary wildly.

That said, I can't see any team trading two 1rsts for him.

The initial investment was just a starting point for my conversation. It was a way to point out why GB will not accept a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick in return. There is no reason for them to do so.

Looking at what the GMs value Love,

Gute needs a QB2. Love is it. He is affordable. He has learned over the past couple of seasons. He will learn even more this off season. He is better than anyone else on the roster (Rodgers excluded) He has more upside than any free agent QBs that the Packers would have to get in order to replace him. And at a much much lower price. Long story short, Gute doesn't NEED to trade Love. Therefore he holds on to him unless he gets a wow offer. A 2nd, 3rd or 4th is not it. If another GM wants to build a franchise around Love he will have to pay for him.

Every single other GM-
1. Teams with franchise QBs don't need or want him. Why should they? All Love would be is the back up just like he is now. I doubt they are willing to offer anything. They already have a back up. None of them are going to put Love on the PS. He would be snatched up by a team with a QB need. Most are not going to put their current back up on the PS for the same reason. They won't offer a 3rd for him.

2. Teams without a franchise QB would be willing to consider him under certain circumstances. There are a limited number of QBs available this year. Do they want to try and get one of the QBs in the draft? Probably most of them. They will get 5 years instead of 3. Are the QBs in the draft class better or have more upside than Love? Maybe maybe not. You will get different answers I am sure. What's Love worth to them? Depends on the GM. How desperate are they? How secure are they in their job? GMs that just got their job have several years and can wait until next year or the year after that for their QB of the future. GMs that have been around for 3-4 years and done nothing are going to need to do something sooner. There are other factors at plays as well. The more desperate a GM the more he should be willing to pay for Love.

Point is there is no one answer that fits every scenario.

At this point no one is going to be willing to pay 2 firsts for Love. Not unless he sees something fantastic in Love. Atlanta used a 2nd to select Brett. I was ticked that Wolf spent a 1st for a guy who didn't do anything his first season. I'll bet Atlanta would have accepted a 2nd. I can't speak for their GM but Jerry Glanville would have probably taken a 4th. Turns out Favre was worth 3 firsts so Wolf got a bargain.

If a GM truly thinks Love is their QB of the future. He is worth 2 firsts to get him. Not many GMs, if any, are going to do that today. First they will see if they can get a QB in the draft. Thus long reply is Love is not going to be traded. I never expected any GM to accept that offer. Likewise, I doubt Gute will accept anything less.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
beast
2022-04-19T00:42:05Z

PHGuest
2022-04-19T13:19:11Z

Was that Murphy saying that, or Nerdman saying that? Because that sounds exactly like Nerdman... except Nerdman had suggested Love is already better than Rodgers...

Yeah, Rodgers personality would be the type to hate yes men... he likes to be challenged and if he's not challenging then he's bored. Even see that in some of his relationship like Rodgers and TE Tom Crabtree arguing whom has the better music taste.

As for prickly personality, sounds like you might know him somehow? Or heard from people that know him?

What I know is that Tom Clements is more than qualified to be QB coach in Green Bay. I know "Nerdmann" was merely looking for attention by saying his only qualification is being Aaron's yes-man.

Tom is a great guy. I wouldn't classify us as friends, but I have spoken to him on a few occasions.

If we were good friends, I would call him and ask him how day one with Jordan Love went, I am curious. Just meetings and workouts, but their first time meeting in person. Would be interesting to hear his thoughts.
nerdmann
2022-04-20T12:49:18Z

nerdmann
2022-04-20T12:51:34Z
Since this is a slow time of year, let's take a poll. Who would take Jordan Love's play against KC and Detroit over Aaron's performance in our "one and done" playoff experience this year?

Which do you think was better?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2022-04-20T13:02:34Z

Since this is a slow time of year, let's take a poll. Who would take Jordan Love's play against KC and Detroit over Aaron's performance in our "one and done" playoff experience this year?

If it is straight up Jordan Love vs Aaron Rodgers, Aaron is going to win out every single time. Jordan wouldn't have been able to compensate for the OL getting abused in that 49ers game and would probably had a turnover or two.

Now if you say two 2022 1st round picks, a 2023 1st round pick, top 25 WR under 25 years old AND Jordan Love OR Aaron Rodgers, then we'll have some talking terms. lol
UserPostedImage
PHGuest
2022-04-20T13:24:29Z
Let's wait and evaluate J-Love after Tom Clements has had his hands on him for a few months. This years preseason games will be very interesting.

I am telling you with confidence that Luke Getsy and Nathaniel Hackett hampered J-Love's development. Those two had/have zero clue how to develop a young QB.

LaFleur had too much on his plate to spend a lot of time on Jordan. Tom Clements will bring out the best in him. One problem is that Jordan tries to listen to Aaron and do what Aaron does. Worst thing he can do is try to emulate Aaron in this offense. Tom will teach him that.
beast
2022-04-20T14:14:52Z

Hopefully Jordan loves to carry Aaron's jock strap...

Apples to apples, Rodgers is clearly better.
UserPostedImage
PHGuest
2022-04-20T14:34:34Z

Hopefully Jordan loves to carry Aaron's jock strap...

Apples to apples, Rodgers is clearly better.

I realize you are directing that directly at "nerdmann", who obviously has no clue about a lot of things. Not cutting on him, just stating the obvious after reading his comments. I do not know, but I am assuming he is quite young. I will forgive him for some of the ignorance.

But getting back to you saying Rodgers is clearly better. Yes, everyone with a clue knows that. There may not be another QB in the league better than Aaron. The only thing Mahomes and Allen have on Aaron is that they are younger. Aaron being great doesn't mean Jordan can't ever be a elite QB in the league. I actually think he can, and will be.
If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year and Aaron rides off into the sunset with Shailene, contrary to popular belief, the Packers are going to be just fine.
beast
2022-04-20T18:51:25Z

nerdmann
2022-04-20T19:34:08Z

PHGuest
2022-04-20T19:58:40Z

This is why people call him "best thrower of the football" instead of GOAT.

No, Aaron is a much more gifted and talented QB than Tom Brady is. It's not close. The reason they don't call Aaron the "GOAT" is because Tom has 7 Super Bowl rings. That makes him the GOAT.

The end.