wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

The Packers need to start filling the void created by the trade of Davante Adams, and the draft could be a good place to start.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

I literally laughed when I read the headline. Rob is being so bold. Packers may or may not draft either two or perhaps three WR. Rob you are a wild man.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Well..... everyone has an opinion!
What the Packers actually do will be interesting, for sure.
Everything is just a guess at this point.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I almost hope the Packers do not draft any WR, just to watch fans and national clowns completely lose their shit.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

I almost hope the Packers do not draft any WR, just to watch fans and national clowns completely lose their shit.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes. Yes they would. 🤣
Perhaps just wait until Day Three? They do need some bodies in the WR room.
Then watch Lazard go on to have a 1500 yard 15 td season. That would be awesome. And hysterical.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Yes. Yes they would. 🤣
Perhaps just wait until Day Three? They do need some bodies in the WR room.
Then watch Lazard go on to have a 1500 yard 15 td season. That would be awesome. And hysterical.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Headline: Packers draft three WR's in 2022 draft.
Content: Packers select WR's with 228th overall, 249th overall and 258th overall selections.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I literally laughed when I read the headline. Rob is being so bold. Packers may or may not draft either tow or perhaps WR. Rob you are a wild man.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes, I chuckled as well, like if they don't draft two or three, then they better have signed some FAs, or drafted four lol

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah I've been thinking about this, what if the Packers don't draft a WR nor TE in the first? EVERYONE will be freaking out that night lol

But there are other clear holes they got to fill as well, the #3 Safety gets in the field more than most realize and both starting Safeties are in contract years and Packers like drafting guys a year early to get that rookie experience under them.

Part of the reason the Packers offense struggled so much more is because of the OL got worse with losing Bakhtiari and Linsley for the year, Jenkins for part of the year, and even Bulaga the year before. They really could still use even more OL upgrades.

But yes the OL held the Packers offense back last year, but fans didn't seem to realize because Rodgers got the ball out of his hands faster than ever and Adams was amazing at getting open quickly, Dillon was among league leaders in yards after contact and Aaron Jones is extremely slippery, plus MVS' deep speed kept the Safeties deep and why I think LaFleur is saying they need some deep speed now.

But losing Turner, Patrick and currently Kelly, plus even Adams and MVS will absolutely hurt and put more direct pressure on the OL which barely was holding up and surviving last year, so will absolutely need growth from Runyan, Myers, Newman and Nijman just to stay even with where we were last year as the rookies will probably take some time to grow.

Plus the Packers experienced lack of depth at edge rusher last year and it was absolutely no fun, lucky Preston and Gary stayed fairly healthy, but I absolutely expect Gute to draft a #3 edge rusher and the last time he did that he used the #12 overall pick.

The Packers pass rush is extremely important especially when Joe Berry showed he doesn't blitz much, even when the edge rushers are injured and going against a rookie or young running QB, he still doesn't bring the heat (which I think is a mistake) but to compensate you need to make darn sure your defensive front can get it done by themselves as the play caller isn't giving them extra help up front as he wants all the help in coverage.

Also DT to, as I believe Lowry and newly signed FA Reed are both in contract years and Clark could seriously use a stud DT to share some the attention with him. Add a stud DT with Clark, Gary and Preston Williams, you got to give one or two guys one on ones, they're gonna beat you somewhere.

Point being, the Packers have a lot of potential holes that could use talent help other than WR, which I could see the Packers using a first rounder on other than just WR, depending how the draft drops.

Though I fully expect them to draft a WR in the top 48 picks (first round and a half).

My biggest concern is Gute is going to get nervous and trade up happy early on, when this draft has some good top depth... I think this year's 2nd round is going to be better than a lot of years 2nd rounds.

But here are Gute's trade ups in the top 3 rounds

2018: CB Alexander* (technically he traded down, and then up for this pick, so I'm not sure it counts)
2018: ILB Burks
2019: S Savage
2020: QB Love
2021: WR Rodgers

I'm not counting Alexander (it was a trade down then up, which basically cost us a 3rd rounder but we got a 1st which was used with other picks for Savage)...

But basically, SO FAR, these players haven't lived up to either their potentials or their draft slot...

Though, I should note, that I believe the Packers might be accidentally holding Savage back, as I believe Savage would be best in man coverage, but they run a heavy zone scheme. Also Savage might be best in the slot/dime, but they don't have another S to take his spot deep to test that theory, and Gute often has brought Savage up as a potential slot guy.

But it seems like Gute does better when he lets the draft come to him, instead of trading up.
2018: CB Jackson (horrible example)
2019: OL Jenkins, TE Sternberger
2020: RB Dillon, TE Dugara
2021: CB Stokes, C Myers

I still have to think Sternberger and Dugara we're reaches based on trying to get TEs that fit the scheme as they didn't have the right personnel to run no huddle in this scheme as Rodgers put it in 2018, he also said they didn't have the experience, but you need some versatile TEs that can play anything from WR to FB to run no huddle in this scheme.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
Good post Beast.
I would love to grab a OT with the 22nd pick. Perhaps Trevor Penning. I have some reservations with him. As a general rule I don't like redshirt seniors. I don't like small school players in the 1st round. But I also realize the organization knows how to vet prospects. If not Penning them perhaps Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson with the 28th pick. I also want to see if one of the OT studs (Evan Neal, Ikem Ekwonu or Charles Cross) falls because of teams taking QBs, CBs and other players the Packers don't need.
Other non WR guys at 22 would include David Ojabo, Nakobe Dean, Devonte Wyatt or Jordan Davis. Of course Travon Walker can line up on my defense anytime. (Well not when he's 35.)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (10h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (12h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.