wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
I did a sleep study last night. I failed. Then again, I knew I would. I have snored for years. Decades. When I spoke to the doctor a couple of weeks ago he had a list of questions. I said yes to almost all of them.

Questions like:
Do I want to take a nap after lunch? (Really who doesn't?)
Do I fall asleep watching tv? (I said it depends on the show.)
Do I get sleepy while driving on long trips? (Every time. Scared the heck out of my wife. I was trying to be the man and take on the burden of driving. She has never been impressed about it.)
Do I fall asleep when I am a passenger on a trip over an hour? (I really try not to but I nod off a few times. My wife complained that she and her sister went to Tennessee for their grandmother's funeral. Her sister slept the whole trip and my wife had to do the driving. I try not to do the same thing.)
Do I want to sleep during a meeting or at the movies? (I said that is two different things. Meetings, of course. A good engaging movie, no. She didn't ask but I have been known to sleep during baseball games too.)

20 years ago I had a sleep over for my son's scouting camping trip. Two years in a row I got second lace for the loudest snorer. I was actually louder but not as regular. My son loved it but even then I knew it was not a good thing. Over Christmas I was at my son's place. When I got up in the middle of the night I heard my daughter in law's cousin snoring in the next bed room. It was so loud I was sure the wall was falling when I first heard him. I decided if I am anything like that, I have a real problem.

This morning I had to complete a survey. How many times did I think I woke up? How long did I think I slept? Did I get a better night's sleep? Things like that. At the bottom there was a place to add any comments. I wrote that it would be nice if they recommended that men shave their chest hair. It was the worst part of the whole experience. I felt like I was Robin Williams. It hurt so much that I removed the 4 from my chest but forgot to get the two off my side. SOUVENIRS!

The reason for this post is to tell you, if anyone has expressed concern over your snoring, get it checked out. Speak to your primary physician. In a simplified explanation, you are swallowing your tongue and the body is trying to wake you up. Over time you get used to the nudges the body sends you and it is harder and harder to wake up and open your air way.

I am sure Nonstopdrivel has a better explanation and I yield to him.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I have the same problem. But I figure I wake up 10 to 15 times a night to pee anyway.🤪 So I'm awake anyway.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
Thanks goodness you got tested wpr. My first job after University was working at a sleep disorder clinic and saw many sleep apnea patients. Depending how bad you have it, it can be quite frightening. I once had a patient stop breathing for almost two minutes. His blood oxygen level went down to levels where alarms were going off and then his heart would just race as he jerked back awake.

I have a few buddies with CPAP machines to treat their sleep apnea and it will really help you once you get used to it. Your energy levels and sleep quality will get better. Many lose weight as well as they have more energy to do things.

Good luck
yooperfan
2 years ago
I have been dealing with sleep apnea for almost 30 years.
I'm on my third cpap machine.
It's difficult getting used to the air being forced down your throat every night but I do sleep better with the machine.
Cleaning it was always a pain but now I have a SoClean machine that cleans it daily for me.
beast
2 years ago
I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, less than a year ago, as I kept getting so tired after lunch, I felt like I was brain dead, and couldn't seriously concentrate for more than 10 minutes.

I agree that they did a down right horrible job of letting you know what to expect before the sleep study. I wasn't expecting so many wires

At first the machine was down right horrible, but that was due to two issues.

1) I tried to go with the nose pillows... and those absolutely don't work for me. And I was waking up needing to air burp and wasn't getting any sleep, I needed a full mask as I guess I'm a mouth breather when sleeping and when coming in via the nose it would go down the stomach pipe instead of the lungs pipe.

2) Because with untreated sleep apnea it's worse when you sleep on your back (gravity puts more pressure on your pipes while sleeping), I got used to sleeping on my side/stomach and side of my face in the pillow. Well, with the full mask, it's harder to keep it sealed when your face is up against something, so I've had to slowly learn to sleep on my back which was so unnatural since that position is so hard to sleep without the machine.

Though I still need to make other life habit changes and it's a life struggle.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
It's interesting to see everyone's experiences. When I was young I slept on my back. After years of my wife rolling me over (or at least trying to.) I started sleeping my my side.
With apnea I always felt like I was going to choke if I was on my back. I felt as if the muscles around my trachea were relaxing causing it to collapse.
I suspect I will move off my side to my back again. I won't mind it because both hips hurt by morning. I think it's bursitis but it is not diagnosed. I suppose I could spend thousands of dollars on a fancy mattress but one thing at a time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

18h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

18h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.