MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

Death.

Taxes.

And the Green Bay Packers winning home playoff games.

Those were all certainties for 80 years, as the Packers went 13-0 in home playoff games between 1921-2001.

Since then, though, Green Bay is just 7-6 at Lambeau Field.

Michael Vick and the visiting Atlanta Falcons ended the Packers’ aura of home invincibility with a 27-7 rout of Green Bay in the 2002 wild card round. Since then, the Packers have lost five more home playoff games.

Green Bay is crossing its fingers that 2021 can be different.

The Packers routed Minnesota, 37-10, Sunday and wrapped up the NFC’s No. 1 seed. That means the road to Super Bowl in the NFC runs through Lambeau Field for a second straight year.

A generation ago, that was a good thing.

Today, the Packers are optimistic a pair of home games will lead to their first Super Bowl appearance in 11 years. But first, they have to bury the recent ghosts of Tom Brady, Eli Manning, and of course, Vick.

“It definitely feels amazing,” Green Bay running back A.J. Dillon said of capturing homefield. “It’s something that we’ve been continuously working toward or striving towards to get that. We know how important it is to have teams have to come through Lambeau.

“I say it all the time. We’ve got the best fans in football. We also have the elements, as you saw (Sunday). So, combine those two with all the talent and the team and the staff that we’ve got, and it’s going to be tough sledding for anybody. So definitely great to have the NFC side of the playoffs come through Lambeau.”

In theory, Dillon is exactly right.

Playing at Lambeau should be something that sends shivers down opponent’s spines.

The average low temperature in Green Bay in January is 9 degrees. And considering most playoff games are in the late afternoon or at night, it’s often colder than that.

Lambeau Field is the third-largest stadium in the league with a capacity of 81,441. And the Packers went 8-0 at home this year, making them the only team in the league with a perfect home record.

“It’s great always to get that first-round bye and to rest our bodies and get ready for the next opponent coming into Lambeau,” outside linebacker Preston Smith said. “It’s also great to have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. That’s what guys pride themselves on and that’s what guys try to work hard to get.

“And guys have been working hard, they’re working their tails off this season, and we’re happy to have it and we’re happy to have earned it, and we’re happy for all of the chips to fall in our favor. And we’re just happy to go out there and keep on working hard and striving towards our goal.”

For that to happen, the Packers will have to play much better at home than recent Green Bay teams have.

Mike Sherman was the first Green Bay coach to ever lose a home playoff game, and he did it twice (2002 and 2004). Mike McCarthy lost three playoff games at Lambeau (2007, 2011 and 2013), while Matt LaFleur has lost one (2019).

Brett Favre was the quarterback for Green Bay’s first three home losses, while Aaron Rodgers was the quarterback for the last three.

Here’s a look at the six playoff games Green Bay has lost at home:

2002 — Michael Vick and the Atlanta Falcons routed the Packers in a wild card game, 27-7. Green Bay even had the benefit of a snowstorm, but couldn’t garner any momentum.

2004 — Minnesota toppled Green Bay, 31-17, in a wild card game. Vikings quarterback Duante Culpepper threw four touchdown passes, two to Randy Moss.

2007 — The New York Giants defeated the Packers, 23-20, in overtime in the NFC Championship Game. That marked Brett Favre’s final game as a Packer.

2011 — The No. 1 seeded Packers lost to the Giants, 37-20, in the divisional playoffs. Giants quarterback Eli Manning threw for 330 yards and three touchdowns, while Rodgers had his lowest passer rating (78.5) in 15 months.

2013 — San Francisco toppled the Packers in the wild card round, 23-20. Phil Dawson made three field goals, including the game-winner as time expired.

2020 — Tom Brady and Tampa Bay downed top-seeded Green Bay, 31-26, in the NFC Championship Game. Brady threw three early touchdowns to stake the Buccaneers to a 28-10 lead, then Tampa Bay held off a late Green Bay charge.

There was a time when the Packers were unbeatable at Lambeau Field in the postseason. Green Bay hopes to re-establish that playoff dominance in the next month and reverse an ugly trend of home playoff losses.

“It feels good to be the No. 1 seed, but we also know that it does not guarantee anything in the future,” Packers coach Matt LaFleur said. “We’re going to continue to take it one day at a time, one game at a time, but hopefully this is something to build off of.

“I don’t think anybody in that locker room is going to take a deep breath like ‘hey, we’ve arrived.’ Every game basically from here on out is do or die and you have to prepare throughout the week to be your best, and certainly we know that going into each and every game.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2022/01/03/homefield-disadvantage-the-green-bay-packers-have-struggled-at-lambeau-field-in-the-playoffs/ 

Rob Reischel wrote:

😬
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
2 years ago
Tbf, the game last year vs TB wasnt even as cold as the game last night vs MIN...i think we win if the temps stay as cold as u can tell the Vikings players did not want to be there...plus we have AJ Dillon on a tear right now which is bad news for defenders in frigid temps.
beast
2 years ago
Would of beat the Falcons if KGB could of tackled Vick, he couldn't even when he got two arms wrapped around him as he just fell off....

Vikings were the better team, and we couldn't cover Moss.

Giants had great DLs that took them to Super Bowl victories.

49ers OL dominated our defensive front.

Buccaneers QB kept throwing it up for INTs and Packers kept not catching them... and Packers S Redmond dropped the INT and then for some rest he decided helping Amos and Sullivan triple team a WR that they had squeezed was more important than helping King one on one with a speed WR....also their DL dominated our OL and their OL held up in good pass protection.

Basically, Packers usually win unless the other teams linemen absolutely dominant the Packers.

Which is why I'm worried about the Buccaneers vs the Packers group of backup OL. Also if they wear out Clark, Gary and P. Smith we're also in trouble.

A HUGE question is who's going to win the 49ers @ Rams game... as that can total change up the seeding in the NFC (other than Packers (#1) and Cowboys (#4)).

In theory the Rams should win easily as they're 12-4 and 49ers are 9-8 and have struggled a bit recently (struggled with the Texans until the 4th Quarter, with their starting QB possible out for the year) but the Rams (division rivals) haven't beaten the 49ers since 2018 with a 5 game losing streak to them.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
I think it'll be
8 bye at 1 Packers
7 Saints at 2 Rams
6 Eagles at 3 Buccaneers
5 Cardinals at 4 Cowboys

Saints are on what QB now? Rams win unless Saints defense can absolutely dominant, which seems unlikely.

Early this year Eagles lost to the Buccaneers by 6 in Philadelphia, while they've gotten hotter lately it's been against bad teams, if Buccaneers are healthy I think they win again, this time in Tampa.

In a rematch of this week, where Cardinals won by 3 points after the Cowboy had a WR get an ACL injury and Refs missed a Cardinals fumble that the Cowboys recovered. I think Cowboys stay hot in what was a 15-3 4th quarter for them and their anger has them start fast for what is a very unlikely all four home teams winning.

4 Cowboys at 1 Packers
3 Buccaneers at 2 Rams

McCarthy comes back to Green Bay, and the Cowboys do give the Packers a lot of trouble, but the Packers win it, with a come fr behind, inception and getting enough first downs to run out the clock and Packers get the win.

Buccaneers vs Rams
This one is tough one as the Rams beat them by 10 earlier this year, but Tom Brady just seems to win the playoffs. And Stafford threw 4 TDs with 343 yards, with Desean Jackson getting 120 yards but they then released him which they won't have, plus Buccaneers have strengthen their DBs with Richard Sherman since. Also I need a road team winning at some point. So Buccaneers win.

3 Buccaneers at 1 Packers

If Brady comes back to GB, that's a major storyline, if Rams would have won, still its the Super Bowl host coming back to GB to try to host a Superbowl they're playing in also a huge story, either way kinda sucks IMO.

Hopefully we'll have Bakhtiari, Turner, Cobb and Alexander back by this time... and Packers win with a lot of quick passes, hard running and defense.

1 Packers vs 4 Bills in Los Angeles
Filled with major plays including both long touchdowns and lots turnovers the Packers walk out with a 9 point victory.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (15h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.