all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Perhaps by the end of the week, coach Mike McCarthy will decide whether to dump Bob Sanders or give him another shot to coordinate the Green Bay Packers defense next season.

But on Sunday, two members of the starting defense made public pleas, not for or against Sanders, but rather for General Manager Ted Thompson to use free agency to bolster a defense that will finish in the bottom third of the NFL and had as much to do with the Packers 6-10 record as anything else.

Sure, the defense made critical fourth-quarter stops to help secure Sundays 31-21 victory over the winless Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field.

But anything that happened on the field other than the victory itself can be discounted as virtually meaningless because it happened against a Lions outfit that became the first NFL team to lose all 16 regular-season games.

In my opinion, we have to get some veteran guys on the team, some guys that have weathered some storms in their careers and know what its all about, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. I dont know what will be done, but I know there will be some things done.

I think we need a couple of more (veterans on defense). A couple more and I think well be OK.

Fellow starting cornerback Al Harris agreed.

We are a young team, but thats no excuse, Harris said. Theres going to be some guys out there that may (be able to) help us.

Making a large splash in free agency isnt Thompsons mantra. He long has preferred to build through the draft, but he has gone the free-agent route in the past. After the Packers 4-12 season of 2005, Thompson signed Woodson, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and safety Marquand Manuel to lucrative free-agent contracts. Woodson and Pickett worked out; Manuel did not.

For his part, Woodson said while hes at the Pro Bowl in February, he would lobby any potential free agents to consider the Packers.

Though the Packers starting cornerbacks were vocal about their desire to see Thompson add veteran players to the roster, neither was willing to say much about Sanders, whose job security appears shaky after a season in which the defense failed to hold multiple fourth-quarter leads.

Asked whether he would bring Sanders back, Woodson said: I wont answer that.

Harris, when asked the same question, said: However it works out, it works out.

Several other defensive players, including linebacker A.J. Hawk and Pickett, defended Sanders, saying the problems on defense were more about execution and injuries to key players like Nick Barnett, Atari Bigby and Cullen Jenkins than about the scheme.

The schemes been working for us the last couple of years, Pickett said. It wasnt the scheme.

Sanders refused to address his future on Sunday, saying his sole focus was on beating the Lions. His defense gave up 316 yards and three touchdowns but came up with two turnovers.

Our guys played hard, for the most part, Sanders said. I think the effort was good, and the mental aspect of what we were trying to get done was good. The efforts been good. Our guys come to play. Mike does a great job with that as far as getting our guys ready to go and getting the team mentally in position to fight every week. When we evaluate (the season), thatll be one thing well see is that the guys fought hard every week, and thats a credit to Mike and his leadership.

McCarthy didnt address any potential staff changes in his postgame news conference other than to say he planned to spend today and Tuesday conducting exit interviews with the players, and then from there, Ill move on to the coaches, he said.

McCarthy is scheduled to conduct his season-ending media conference at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Interesting. I fount it odd that Woodson chose not to comment on bringing Sanders back.

[humor] Well Ted, C-Murder (Woodson) has spoken. Woodson is the new Jennings, so unless you want your head "blowed" up, best do as he says. Sign some big name UFAs this year, seriously! :shaking2:
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
slaket
15 years ago
No kidding. Our defense is lacking depth of any kind. We need some quality players and we need them ASAP
It is was it is
blueleopard
15 years ago
Well that puts the Packers in a weird spot.

Charles Woodson and Al Harris are THE leaders of the defense. And they both have plainly said in black and white that they want more veterans on the team.

Brett Favre was THE leader of the team, and he plainly said in black and white that he wanted Randy Moss.

We'll see what happens.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
RainX
15 years ago
Thompson doesn't have to break the bank on several pricey Free Agents. If he can land a Haynesworth caliber player and maybe another cheaper guy or two for depth and have a solid draft, I'd consider that a solid off-season.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
We have now a fine QB to lead our offense, We found a few standouts on D with Nick Collins, and Tramon Williams. A great punt returner in Will Blackmon. And I will be very excited to see Jordy Nelson eventually develop into our dirty work WR and ultimately become Driver's replacement. I really think this team needs a much better TE. Donald Lee has done good things, we could have a much better receiver. Maybe this can be addressed in the offseason. Maybe Tony G will come play for us who knows.

Now as far as the attacking the FA market(everyone seems to want Peppers and Haynesworth) I like the idea, I just don't know that I want it to happen. What I mean is, will Ted Thompson pursue the right guy for the team? Or the best player available? Is the best player available the best for the team?
blueleopard
15 years ago

We have now a fine QB to lead our offense, We found a few standouts on D with Nick Collins, and Tramon Williams. A great punt returner in Will Blackmon. And I will be very excited to see Jordy Nelson eventually develop into our dirty work WR and ultimately become Driver's replacement. I really think this team needs a much better TE. Donald Lee has done good things, we could have a much better receiver. Maybe this can be addressed in the offseason. Maybe Tony G will come play for us who knows.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I was actually gonna make a thread about the TE, but I don't know.

The thing with Donald Lee was that Rodgers didn't take too many looks at the middle this season. When he started to grow in the offense, he then took more looks in the middle--which led to a strong increase in the production of both Donald Lee and Donald Driver--who is always making the dangerous, underneath receptions.

That being said, the TE position is solid, and can only get better, but there's no harm in continuing to address it either.

How do we go about it?

Look back to Week 6. Ted Thompson offered a 3rd rounder for the services of one Tony Gonzalez. Kansas City's General Manager, Carl Peterson, refused--asking for a 2nd. Thompson isn't that stupid, but Peterson is. Now that Peterson is fired, maybe Thompson can go that route one more time? Especially now that he has an extra third round pick from the Favre trade.

But either way you look at it. One player stood out in today's game. That was Jermichael Finley. If he can make the same two receptions at a consistent rate, Tight End wouldn't even be a need for the Packers.

Finley is going to be someone.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

How do we go about it?

Look back to Week 6. Ted Thompson offered a 3rd rounder for the services of one Tony Gonzalez. Kansas City's General Manager, Carl Peterson, refused--asking for a 2nd. Thompson isn't that stupid, but Peterson is. Now that Peterson is fired, maybe Thompson can go that route one more time? Especially now that he has an extra third round pick from the Favre trade.

But either way you look at it. One player stood out in today's game. That was Jermichael Finley. If he can make the same two receptions at a consistent rate, Tight End wouldn't even be a need for the Packers.

"blueleopard" wrote:

Kill two birds with one stone: get a great TE to help the development of Finley (I agree, he's got tremendous potential) while also getting a veteran leader that Woodson and Harris talked about.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
longtimefan
15 years ago
this is really interesting..

many people believe that Ted refused to go get free agents just to piss Brett off and make him retire sooner..

Now what if Ted doesnt listen to Woodson or Harris and stays away once again..

Does the theory end that not getting free agents was to run Brett out of town?
slaket
15 years ago

this is really interesting..

many people believe that Ted refused to go get free agents just to piss Brett off and make him retire sooner..

Now what if Ted doesnt listen to Woodson or Harris and stays away once again..

Does the theory end that not getting free agents was to run Brett out of town?

"longtimefan" wrote:

I think Ted just hates signing FA's that's all. It's much cheaper to have a bunch of draft picks on the team instead.
It is was it is
TengoJuego
15 years ago

"blueleopard" wrote:

I'm still not sold on Finley. He played well today. But has performed poorly in similar plays earlier in the season. Having a hard working, sure-handed, veteran TE in Tony G would be great. I don't think we should cough up a large amount of money for him, or give up anything more than our extra 3rd round pick. But man I really think, if still wanting out or KC wiling to deal, we should pursue him.

Is Tony a FA this offseason?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

16h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.