wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

No one is being deceived as to what Packer stock is, so why do people refer to it as a scam? People don’t seem to know what a “scam” is. Take this article, which also doesn’t know what “stock” is , and refers to purchasers as “suckers.” These are pretty common  whenever the Green Bay Packers  decide to raise funds through a stock sale, as everyone leaps to point out that you can’t sell your share for profit, and it’s not normal stock, and it’s a ripoff:

Except, as all of these articles are also quick to point out, none of this is a secret, or news, or a scam in the slightest. The Packers explicity tell you exactly what you get and what you don’t get, and you don’t get “nothing at all,” as the article is completely wrong about that as well.
You see, when someone is trying to scam you, they generally don’t announce that fact in big, bold letters on the web page where the scam is allegedly taking place. Scams attempt to take money from people through some sort of subterfuge, and there is no subterfuge here. The actual qualities of Packer stock are reported on ad nauseum by people both hostile  and friendly  to it. No one is taken advantage of, and everything is on the up-and-up.
Reporters also like to belittle what you get in return, and it’s worth noting that with ownership, you get quite a bit more than a “worthless piece of paper.” You do get that actual stock certificate, of course, which is a nice piece of art or memorabilia in its own right, and you do get the right to what is ultimately a fairly meaningless vote, but you also get an invite to the shareholders meeting. It is an interesting event which, when we aren’t in a pandemic, takes place in person inside of Lambeau Field. It may not be for everyone, but getting to attend a special even inside of Lambeau is certainly worth something. Finally, you do have special access to the shareholder merchandise portion  of the pro shop, which contains merchandise that the normal fans can’t buy.
Some may argue that all of this could be accomplished through a “fan club” or something like that, but I suspect that is not the case. Ownership conveys additional meaning to your relationship with a business, and there is a level of participation built into this program that you simply cannot fake. The ideal of having your Packer stock framed above the fireplace is talked about wistfully among Packer fans everywhere, and a simple fan club would lack the cache.
The articles quoted and linked to above are generally annoying, but in they’re also objectively evil. The NFL hates the ownership structure of the Green Bay Packers, which requires the team to disclose financial reporting that the league would prefer to keep secret. (Also, fan clubs do not come with mandatory financial disclosure requirements, and this has some value to shareholders as well.) The league has a vested interest in portraying these sales as wastes of money from folksy Northwoods rubes, because the last thing they want is for such a model to gain popularity among the masses. Darren Rovell calls Packer stock “the biggest racket in sports":

Thousands of Packers fans will pay $300 a share to become “shareholders” today. The fine print: The Packers reserve the right to potentially buy back your shares at a cost of TWO AND A HALF CENTS Inside the biggest racket in sports https://t.co/zSyE5xNKEa — Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) November 16, 2021 
This is despite the fact that other franchises routinely seek and receive taxpayer financing for similar investments. (And yes, the Packers have gone to this well before too, but a stock sale is obviously better!) To portray this as a racket when compared to the routine blackmail of states and municipalities for taxpayer dollars is asinine. I’m quite sure the citizens of Oakland would have enjoyed the opportunity to take the Raiders from Mark Davis and set up a decentralized corporate structure with limits to inidividual stock ownership, no dividends, and limited voting rights. The entirety of the rest of the NFL is a racket, with the Packers as the lone exceptions.
The fact of the matter is that the Packer model should be the envy of fans everywhere. It keeps the team local, it reduces the tax burden inherent in having a major sports franchise present, and it brings transparency to a business that prefers to be steeped in secrecy.

A quick thread on stock, property, and ownership. The way that you think of stock, as a tradable security, is only one, narrow way to set up a company. While the profit motive may be what drives American capitalism, it's actually not a requirement...— BadgerNoonan (@BadgerNoonan) November 16, 2021 
Don’t let any writer talk down to you about your stock purchase.

It is 100% real stock, and more sophisticated finance people, including those within the NFL itself, understand this, hate this, and fear this. Packer ownership comes with perks and physical goods worth more than this,

And it supports the unique structure of America’s greatest sports franchise. It is decentralized, and forever tied to the community in which it was founded specifically because it is not “normal” common stock. If your desire for the Packers is to have them in Green Bay, and never to have a traditional Jerry Jones-style owner, you should buy some stock. If you are looking for a growth investment, why not check out NFTs? Those totally aren’t a huge scam.
Continue Reading @ PaulNoonan 

PaulNoonan wrote:

I passed on the last two chances to buy stock. But to give them to my grandkids, why not?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
It is a scam. They took my $300 and another $35 for some "handling" fee and it is still "awaiting acceptance". What a scam.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
Funny how people (Florio) who screamed at the Wilfs for blackmailing the fans are now mocking the Packer fans.
The bares are probably pulling out of Chicago and heading for the Burbs.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
OMG! FLORIO BOUGHT A SHARE TOO!!! 

Football fans are self-admitted suckers. I’m one of them. But for that bizarre threat of a fine of up to $500,000 for criticizing the NFL or anyone connected to it, my $335 would be among the money the Packers made yesterday. It still may happen, bizarre threat of a half-million-dollar fine for daring to criticize anything about the NFL be damned.

I am laughing at him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (17h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.