go.pack.go.
2 years ago
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/packers-wr-devin-funchess-anti-asian-slur-apology-forever-sorry 

Apparently he told reporters that he could tell they were smiling, despite wearing masks because their eyes looked “chinky”.

Come on man, you know better than that, especially in today’s world.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
wow. The brain was not engaged while the mouth was flapping.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I heard it. Didn't think it merited the outlash I saw on tweeter, but it's also something I wouldn't say. He apologized shortly after. Hopefully that's the end of it. Definitely gotta be wiser even when speaking in jest. Probably better to not even try joking at all if you can't do so without that kind of comment.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Don't kill the messenger here... But I honestly didn't know that was a racial word for the longest time.. probably because it's not in my vocabulary and I didn't hear it that often, but I did hear it from time to time, usually from old folks.

Of course that's been true in my life for other words too...

I had a black roommate do a weird move (which did look very much like someone doing charades of a monkey), and his white friend stated that out loud and my roommate got semi-offended. Up to that point, I honestly didn't realize monkey was used as a racial slur. I just hadn't heard it used in that context.

My point being, I honestly haven't known what is or isn't a racial slur until some situation brings it up.

Don't get me wrong, he should of run into that one by now and certainly known better.

But to a certain degree, it's almost becoming a job in itself just to keep up with all the different things people will take offense too. And different people react different ways...

One situation I've always found interesting, if musicians put racial slurs music, then can fans of all races sing those lyrics? Or do other races have to skip that lyric? I've seen it both ways... I just avoid it to stay clear of that potential situation.

But I did find it funny when a black rapper brought white fan on stage with him to sing his song, and when the white person sang the racial lyric correctly, the rapper got upset. In which I think the rapper is wrong...as your fans are going to sing your lyrics... if there is certain words you don't want them to say, then don't have them as lyrics.

But this has always been a tough subject that is always treated differently in different situations, and I think that's tough on us as people to choose which direction... and I assume Funchess just couldn't quickly think of another easy way to describe it, how he could see people where smiling in their eyes, and explained it in a poor way.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I had no clue Redskin was bad. If it wasn't for the outlash, I'd have been blissfully ignorant.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I had no clue Redskin was bad. If it wasn't for the outlash, I'd have been blissfully ignorant.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Absolutely great example! I absolutely had no clue... and my understanding from someone who's Native American was there was basically two different context for the phrase.

But the one offensive context, of basically being the "n word" for Native Americans is the ones that's most often used around the Native American reservations...and since most Native American live around the reservations, that's the one they hear the most, and absolutely cut very deep with certain people.

Sounded like he thought most Native Americans realized the context was different... and they didn't really care or get upset about Washington team name... they did thing it should be changed in the future. Because of how it was mostly being used around them.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Don't kill the messenger here... But I honestly didn't know that was a racial word for the longest time.. probably because it's not in my vocabulary and I didn't hear it that often, but I did hear it from time to time, usually from old folks.

Of course that's been true in my life for other words too...

I had a black roommate do a weird move (which did look very much like someone doing charades of a monkey), and his white friend stated that out loud and my roommate got semi-offended. Up to that point, I honestly didn't realize monkey was used as a racial slur. I just hadn't heard it used in that context.

My point being, I honestly haven't known what is or isn't a racial slur until some situation brings it up.

Don't get me wrong, he should of run into that one by now and certainly known better.

But to a certain degree, it's almost becoming a job in itself just to keep up with all the different things people will take offense too. And different people react different ways...

One situation I've always found interesting, if musicians put racial slurs music, then can fans of all races sing those lyrics? Or do other races have to skip that lyric? I've seen it both ways... I just avoid it to stay clear of that potential situation.

But I did find it funny when a black rapper brought white fan on stage with him to sing his song, and when the white person sang the racial lyric correctly, the rapper got upset. In which I think the rapper is wrong...as your fans are going to sing your lyrics... if there is certain words you don't want them to say, then don't have them as lyrics.

But this has always been a tough subject that is always treated differently in different situations, and I think that's tough on us as people to choose which direction... and I assume Funchess just couldn't quickly think of another easy way to describe it, how he could see people where smiling in their eyes, and explained it in a poor way.

Originally Posted by: beast 

GREAT post Beast!
I think intent should play in how upset anyone should get.
Funchess did not mean to say something that was a racial slur. And he apologized. So that SHOULD be the end of it.
He goofed, and didn’t mean anything bad. An unfortunate use of words.
And you made so many great points! Rappers constantly use racial slurs, and say how you should just “bust a cap” into someone that dares to “diss” you. And to kill cops. Yet these people can spew that garbage, and no one gets offended? Huh??? Can we say “hypocrite”?
I think people need to get thicker skin and not let any little thing said “offend” them.
I got called “a dumb pollock” more then once. And you know what? I didn’t let it get to me.
In fact I usually turned it around, used it to make fun of myself, and the people laughed with me and stopped saying it.
Of course that’s just me. I don’t sweat the small stuff. Life is too short to let that kind of stuff rule you.
JMO of course.

UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago
This just in: a bunch of white guys from Wisconsin didn't realize racial slurs are offensive to non-white people. Having recently learned that racial slurs are in fact offensive, said white people are in turn offended that people take offense to racial slurs. These words weren't offensive to them or their exclusively white friends when they grew up in the (insert decade prior to 80's) so they don't understand why anyone would be offended by them now.

I swear to god, sometimes this forum is like an Onion article.
blank
Cheesey
2 years ago

This just in: a bunch of white guys from Wisconsin didn't realize racial slurs are offensive to non-white people. Having recently learned that racial slurs are in fact offensive, said white people are in turn offended that people take offense to racial slurs. These words weren't offensive to them or their exclusively white friends when they grew up in the (insert decade prior to 80's) so they don't understand why anyone would be offended by them now.

I swear to god, sometimes this forum is like an Onion article.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

We get it.
You like feeling like you are better then us “white guys”. You like to play the victim.
By the way....what race are you?
You are one of the constantly offended politically correct judges.
Did anyone here say racially inconsiderate statements are okay? Nope. Just that Funchess realized what he said was wrong and apologized for it. What’s wrong with that?
I swear, you just live to correct people, and think you are soooo much better then everyone.
Be careful....that pedestal you put yourself on has a big fall.
If you are going to judge, be specific on who said anything so bad that you, the “high and mighty” feel we’re so horrible.
Or do you just like to be the judge, jury and executioner?
(I know the answer)

UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago

We get it.
You like feeling like you are better then us “white guys”. You like to play the victim.
By the way....what race are you?
You are one of the constantly offended politically correct judges.
Did anyone here say racially inconsiderate statements are okay? Nope. Just that Funchess realized what he said was wrong and apologized for it. What’s wrong with that?
I swear, you just live to correct people, and think you are soooo much better then everyone.
Be careful....that pedestal you put yourself on has a big fall.
If you are going to judge, be specific on who said anything so bad that you, the “high and mighty” feel we’re so horrible.
Or do you just like to be the judge, jury and executioner?
(I know the answer)

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Ah Cheesey, I can always count on you for a good old fashioned crazy uncle rant. It's like having thanksgiving all year long, except without the cranberry sauce.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.