brnt247
15 years ago

It's often said the quarterback gets too much credit when a football team performs well, and too much blame when things go awry. In the case of Aaron Rodgers, no matter how Green Bay Packers fans feel, fantasy football owners shouldn't have a disparaging word. Comparing the also-ran Packers to Brett Favre's contending New York Jets isn't really fair, but from our standpoint, the big winner was clearly Rodgers -- and those who trusted him as their starting quarterback.

Rodgers not only helped fantasy football owners to their playoffs, he's going to lead teams to championships with his consistent and occasionally terrific play, which we clearly expect to continue Monday night against the Chicago Bears. Rodgers might even end up the best player in fantasy for the season, literally, an incomprehensible thought considering the Favre soap opera from the summer and how Rodgers was viewed in it, and considering the Packers need to win out to avoid losing double-digit games this season. Entering Week 16, only New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees had more fantasy points, regardless of position, in all of fantasy, and Rodgers has been better the past month.

Let this be yet another lesson for fantasy owners, that an actual team's record rarely has influence over statistical output. Great job Eli Manning, Jake Delhomme, Kerry Collins and Ben Roethlisberger -- you've likely earned your strong defensive teams bye weeks in the playoffs; but these guys aren't winning fantasy titles. Brees and Rodgers are the top quarterbacks in fantasy this season; they're winning titles. Of course, we feel compelled to point out Brees was the No. 3 quarterback in ESPN average live drafts, while Rodgers came in at No. 20, behind, among many others, Vince Young. Favre was No. 12, and he entered Sunday's games with fewer fantasy points than Tyler Thigpen.

My guess is some Rodgers owners aren't even aware just how prolific their late-round draft choice has been, since he has seldom been one of the top activated signal callers. Even this week, with his season ranking second to only one and against a Bears team that can be thrown on -- only eight teams allow more fantasy points to wide receivers -- Rodgers is active in fewer than 60 percent of leagues. That figure does rank him eighth at quarterback, ahead of Favre. At least Rodgers has that going for him!

If there's anything a fantasy owner takes from Rodgers' exceptional fantasy season, other than the fact some of the best statistics do come during losing seasons, it's to always check your roster and see if someone with a lesser name on your bench is outperforming one of your starters; whether a simple change of whom you activate could help your team.

Rodgers clearly wasn't popular on draft day -- more a curiosity pick than anything else, it seems -- but those who have relied on him in fantasy this season have reaped the benefits. Maybe in 2009, as Rodgers becomes a top-5 quarterback on draft day -- other than Brees, Peyton Manning and maybe Tony Romo, who else is a sure-fire top-5 quarterback? -- the Packers can reverse their record and help get their quarterback to the grandest stage of all: the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3782351 

I found this to be a pretty interesting discussion. Fantasy Football doesn't have anything to do with team success, but I think it's pretty cool that in his first season Rodgers is putting up the type of numbers he is.

This season in a two QB league I drafted Tom Brady and Peyton Manning with my first two picks and Rodgers later on(I forget which pick). I did this to have the flexibility to move one of Brady/Manning for a stud half back and let Rodgers step in. Brady's injury really put a damper on my season and my plans but it forced me to start Rodgers every week. He has been my best player and his rushing yards and TD's are what set him apart from most other QB's around the league.
blank
kobe16
15 years ago
yes a-rod is having a great season. he could have at least been a backup for the nfc pro bowl team. 296/466 3,470 yds 23 td's good season so far.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
I firmly believe he is part of the long term solution for this franchise.. he has work to do, but he played overall very well.

Now, we as a team need to find the balance with the running game and become a complete team of sorts on offense. Mike McCarthy owns that.

I hope he puts the time in this offseason to become even better.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
15 years ago

yes a-rod is having a great season. he could have at least been a backup for the nfc pro bowl team. 296/466 3,470 yds 23 td's good season so far.

"kobe16" wrote:

Plus 4 rushing TD's.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
15 years ago
The part that impressed me the most from Aaron Rodgers is his durability. He played almost all the snaps, played his best even injured he was playing good. Congrats to him for having a great season, it's a shame we aren't in playoff picture tho. 😞
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I'll be shocked if we aren't next year. 😃
UserPostedImage
greenrod85
15 years ago
It really is a shame that Rodgers isn't being recognized for his brilliant season. Well, as brilliant a 5-10 record can be. If you're a packer fan, and you're still screaming about letting go of Brett, you're an idiot. Was Rodgers that right solution this year? Absolutely, why wait for him to get a year older without a start under his belt? Next year (yeah, cliche) Rodgers will have a better understanding of the playbook and timing and all of that, all those games that we lost by 4 points or less are gonna swing in our favor. 12-4 next year.
FIRE MCCARTHY!!!
Fred
15 years ago
Yeah? What were Brett's stats last year, and how many wins did he have?

I hope that Aaron Rodgers doesn't become a "numbers hanger", which people are starting to accuse Tony Romo of being.

There's a difference between being a winning QB and a QB with gaudy statistical numbers that don't mean anything.

Just ask Jeff George.

Only Time will tell.
blank
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

I hope that Aaron Rodgers doesn't become a "numbers hanger", which people are starting to accuse Tony Romo of being.

There's a difference between being a winning QB and a QB with gaudy statistical numbers that don't mean anything.

Just ask Jeff George.

Only Time will tell.

"Fred" wrote:

You need to STFU and get on the A-Rod bandwagon. Brett Favre is not in Green Bay and you need to get used to it. Brett Favre isn't having near as good a season as Aaron Rodgers is having. The defense has won him most of his games...
UserPostedImage
Since69
15 years ago

Just ask Jeff George.

Only Time will tell.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

You need to STFU and get on the A-Rod bandwagon. Brett Favre is not in Green Bay and you need to get used to it. Brett Favre isn't having near as good a season as Aaron Rodgers is having. The defense has won him most of his games...

"Fred" wrote:

Fred has a point, though. The only meaningful stat is wins and losses.

But I'm not about to bash Rodgers - he's had a very good season under tremendous pressure.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Mucky Tundra

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

40m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.