Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I love it when people remember things and aren't afraid to bring it back up. Thank you, Dov!

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Let's also not pretend like drafting a QB was a major shock. Brian Gutekunst spoke about it before the 2020 Draft.

From 2020-Feb-21 by Ryan Wood.

GREEN BAY - Brian Gutekunst finds himself in an enviable position as he enters his third offseason in charge of the Green Bay Packers' roster, and he appears willing to maximize whatever leverage he can.

There is not yet a large sample size of past experience to predict the Packers general manager’s intent and motives. Gutekunst, like any young GM, can still benefit from a sleight of hand. Should a remark be taken at face value? Only time will tell.

With that uncertainty, perhaps it’s worth remaining skeptical this spring when Gutekunst shares his approach to quarterback prospects. But the Packers GM made clear his conviction Friday that drafting a quarterback in the first round would be a worthwhile pick — if the right one is available.

“Everything I’ve been taught,” Gutekunst said, “that’s where you start. You start with the quarterback. So you evaluate them every year, and I think it’s always on the table. It’s a good crop this year. It’s a good group of quarterbacks. I think it’s a little deeper than it has been in the past. It will be interesting.”

Even if it remains unlikely, the possibility of the Packers using their 30th overall pick in the first round to draft a quarterback certainly is interesting.

Aaron Rodgers, now 36 years old, is the same age as Brett Favre was when the Packers initiated their changing of the guard in the 2005 draft. Gutekunst was in the war room when predecessor Ted Thompson made the controversial but franchise-altering decision to draft Rodgers, who sat three years behind Favre. Gutekunst was a Southeast scout, removed from much of the Rodgers decision, but he referenced the experience Friday as a lesson on how to be bold when the moment calls.

It would be nothing short of bold for Gutekunst to draft a first-round quarterback this spring. Rodgers still plays at a winning level — hello, 13-3 — and has four years left on his contract. But by the quarterback’s own admission, Rodgers lost a step with his mobility last season. At this stage, Rodgers isn’t getting that step back.

Gutekunst said Rodgers “played at a really high level” in his first season under new coach Matt LaFleur, and he’s excited to see what Year 2 could yield from the pairing. But Rodgers has an extensive injury history, including broken left and right collarbones, a knee scope in 2015 and multiple soft-tissue injuries with his legs. Those injuries could only become exacerbated with age.

So it’s fair to wonder how much longer Rodgers can continue playing at his high level, especially coming off a season in which he posted a 95.4 passer rating, his lowest since 2015 and third lowest ever as a starter.

“The guy’s really unique,” Gutekunst said, “in the way he takes care of his body and the way he works at it and the way he goes at it. so I don’t really think — Drew Brees is coming back. I don’t think you can put a lot of limits on it. I certainly wouldn’t want to. He’s such a unique player. I know how he prepares himself.

“I think he’s got a lot left.”

If Rodgers indeed has a lot left, why draft a quarterback? A backup QB isn’t pushing the Packers to the Super Bowl in 2020. Considering their surprising 13-3 record and trip to the NFC championship game last season, a more practical first-round pick might be a receiver, or tight end, or linebacker, or even a defensive lineman.

Gutekunst perceives drafting a talented quarterback as a win-win: Either the prospect becomes a player on which to build the franchise’s future, or he remains a valuable trade asset. He referenced his experience as a young scout under former Packers general manager Ron Wolf. Gutekunst worked for the team when Wolf drafted Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

“Ron traded a first-round pick for a quarterback that nobody wanted,” Gutekunst said, referring to Brett Favre. “Ted (Thompson) drafted a quarterback when he had a hall-of-fame guy sitting there who was going to play at least three more years. That’s kind of how I’ve seen it. My first 10 years in the league, it was Hasselbeck and Brooks and all those guys. Ron was able to turn those guys into picks down the line.

“I just think the quarterback position is so important that you can never not address it if you think you have an opportunity to take a player that can play in the league.”

Gutekunst’s conviction that drafting a quarterback in the first round would be worthwhile doesn’t mean he’ll eventually make that call. With a surprising amount of roster needs for a team coming off a 13-win season, the Packers could benefit from as many draft picks as possible. In that sense, broadcasting a willingness to draft a quarterback with the 30th overall pick could be beneficial.

The Packers sit in prime position for a quarterback-starved team to trade back into the first round. Gutekunst might as well be declaring himself open for business.

It’s wise to keep options open, whether that’s drafting a quarterback or trading out of the first round. One thing is clear: Gutekunst won’t let his current quarterback’s opinion dictate which option he eventually chooses.

“Aaron wants to win,” Gutekunst said. “I think that’s the most important thing to him. He knows we’re trying to make the best decision for the football team moving forward, so I’m not worried about that. With all players, you can’t control that. Players get happy and sad about all kinds of things. I’m not too concerned with that.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/02/21/green-bay-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-opens-door-drafting-qb-first-round/4820313002/ 

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
All revisionist history.
Gute should have been making the picks from Aaron's basement. Sitting in Aaron's chair when he got up to take a leak or get another shot of whiskey like Billachet's dog did.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

All revisionist history.
Gute should have been making the picks from Aaron's basement. Sitting in Aaron's chair when he got up to take a leak or get another shot of whiskey like Billachet's dog did.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

How DARE they make a move without first consulting with “His Highness, the all knowing and powerful RODGERS!”🤪😂
UserPostedImage
warhawk
2 years ago
Aaron is pissed because after a couple of "ok" seasons and then the Love pick he felt the Packers were hedging their bet on the future. Thus the comment about retiring a Packer "may not be a reality." Then he has the MVP season and the comment comes out how that "threw a wrench in their plans." So NOW he decides he can tell the organization to stick it up their ass. It all makes sense. Otherwise why did he play last year and nothing in his demeanor or actions reflected his displeasure? Another way to look at it is if he had another ok or good but not great year would he have played the same hand?
Very doubtful.
The truth of the matter is the relationship between Rodgers and the organization was never going to end well in reality. Rodgers is not likely to play great for x number of years and then just retire. The dream scenario of winning the SB and then calling it quits is not one that happens often. Shy of that it probably doesn't end well.
In the mean time I keep asking where is the crime? Philosophical differences? C'mon man. A vague cop out doesn't cut it. Strap it up and play. Gute's comments about not worrying about players getting upset with who he drafts was taking into consideration he was dealing with grown men.

"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
2 years ago
Like I have said before, why did it take the Packers picking Love to get Rodgers to play up to his wage?
In 2019, he didn’t take the check down, and always seemed to look for the big pass. Fighting against what MLF seemed to want him to do. How many times did we fans make comments here on how Rodgers would have a guy wide open short, and he would ignore them.
Then 2020 he starts taking what the defenses would give, and he throws for 48 TDs, and has his MVP season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (35m) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (37m) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (1h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.