Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I thought I'd create a thread for the analytical-minded among us, a place for use to "statisticalate" to our hearts' content. I'd like to see statistical analyses of every conceivable hypothesis, preferably updated as the season progresses.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
For my first post, I want to test my hypothesis that rushing touchdowns correlate with rushing yards. The reason why this interests me is that despite being in the top 10 in passing touchdowns, the Packers this season have a much worse record than a number of teams that rank higher in rushing touchdowns.

To my great surprise, it turns out that the correlation between rushing touchdowns and rushing yards is not at all compelling. While a correlation of 0.614 indicates some slight relationship, my analytical chemistry professor would give me an F if I tried to calculate an unknown concentration using such an abysmal correlation coefficient!

A quick glance at the plot reveals a crapload of noise. The Carolina Panthers, #5 for yards, are by far and away #1 for TDs at 29, leading the Titans by 5. On the other hand, the Raiders, #11 for yards, only have 7 rushing TDs (tied for 30th). On the other end of the spectrum are the Cardinals, who are ranked dead last for rushing yards, but are somewhere near the top 10 in rushing TDs.

So clearly this analysis is leaving out an important factor, which I would hypothesize is passing yards. I'll get to that later.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Another of my genius hypotheses was that winning percentage would be correlated with rushing TDs. Turns out the correlation here (0.726) isn't much better than the correlation between rushing yards and rushing TDs. This is turning out to be an eye-opening experience.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
What a great idea. But this should be moved to the NFL forum if you want to stick with NFL statistics.

I will attempt to investigate the correlation between the number of TDs a QB throws and the number of wins for the team, over an entire season. I would expect that there is a rather strong correlation. I'd do shorter periods but I don't really have the time to update every game. Maybe I'll work on that during my holidays.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
And so, because I am a stubborn cuss who is convinced a good rushing attack must contribute to team success, I decided to check the correlation between rushing yards and winning percentage. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the correlation: a paltry 0.501!

In other words, there is virtually no substantive relation between a good running game and a winning record this season! Maybe all the experts who blather on endlessly how "good teams commit to the run" are flat-out wrong.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago
Check the stats for rushing attempts. I heard a stat a few years back, that in playoff games anyway, the team who had more rushing attempts won 85 percent of the time.
TheEngineer
15 years ago

And so, because I am a stubborn cuss who is convinced a good rushing attack must contribute to team success, I decided to check the correlation between rushing yards and winning percentage. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the correlation: a paltry 0.501!

In other words, there is virtually no substantive relation between a good running game and a winning record this season! Maybe all the experts who blather on endlessly how "good teams commit to the run" are flat-out wrong.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Are we talking about a correlation coefficient of 0.501? That is moderately strong. Remember that the correlation coefficient has a range [-1,1]. Two random variables (e.g. # of rushing yards and wins) are independent when the correlation is 0. Hence, 0.5 is moderately strong correlation.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
Since this thread has been started in the non-nfl section of the forum, I am going to assume that a statistical analysis of a non-football related issue is authorized. I would like to take this opportunity to put out for bid an in-depth statistical analysis of the probablily that the gas man will not be calling me until 11:59 AM this morning, or more likely, will not call at all, and that when I go to call them, they will have some lame excuse for why I never received the call.

The parameters:

Apt building with no heat
Ambient temp 19 degrees f
8 miles from my residence
An 8 am to noon promise to call
A 100% HISTORY OF "fail" ON THIS ISSUE

What time do I get the call, and why, statistically speaking?

UPDATE 8:48 AM EST-- Naturally, as soon as I hit "post", I got the call. :thumbleft:

New variables:

Property is being sold at 5:00 PM today (settlement)
Keys to property in a lockbox
Moron/Lazy realtor changed lockbox without my knowledge
No access to property for gas man
Moron/Lazy realtor office has a duplicate set, but not with key to where gas meters are
Toxic waste residuals from Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant accident must be factored into all stupidity issues when calculating the idiocy of any central Pennsylvanian

I'm thinking chaos theory will need to be employed to figure this one out.
vegOmatic
15 years ago
Upon further review, the Bears still suck.

UserPostedImage
blank
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

When it comes to rushing and winning, I think you'll find a stronger correlation by simply looking at yards per attempt.

Rushing attempts would probably have a strong correlation, but you run into the problem of correlation not always equaling causation. Teams don't win because they have a high number of rushing attempts. Rather, teams have a high number of rushing attempts because they're winning. If you're up by 14 in the 4th quarter, you're likely to just pound the ball, thus inflating your number of attempts.

NOTE: Great thread idea. I think we should add a disclaimer that if you're not into statistical analysis, please just ignore this thread and let us have our nerd fun. I don't want this to become a thread debating the merits of statistical analysis.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (7h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (11h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
41m / Random Babble / Novalee

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.