nerdmann
2 years ago

After 1st Preseason Game, Beasts 53 man mock roster

Note: Bakhtiari is on the PUP list and Sternberger is on the suspended list.

Offense
QB (2): Rodgers, Love (2)
RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill (5)
WR (6): Adams, Lazard, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers (11)
TE (4): Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney (15)
OT (3): Turner, Kelly, Newman (18)
IOL (5): Jenkins, Myers, Patrick, Runyan, Braden (23)

Offensive Notes:
[list]

• Only 23 offense players, which is certainly less than I normally prefer, with going light at 9th OL and 3rd QB spots. Of course, Bakhtiari and Sternberger could be back this season, which could get it back up to 24 or 25.
  • Potential Trades: I could see Gute shopping for offers for WR Funchess and OG Patrick. Not saying he pulls the trigger, but at least takes offers. Those positions have so much depth and because that explains why they're using Funchess in preseason so much, also Packers have shown they want depth guys to play STs and normally Funchess doesn't. Also the Packers are trying to work Runyan and a couple of others as a back-up Center so much despite Jenkins and Patrick able to play that role already, team that's three deep at Center is normally not seemingly trying hard to get a lot more guys for that role, so Jenkins might be taken by OT spot and my theory is Patrick could potentially be trade bait, which is why they're working on getting Runyan snapping to be better, so he can be the long term back-up Center as well.
  • Top 5 to just miss the list: QB Benkert, RB Taylor, WR Taylor, OT Nijman, OG Van Lanen
  • UDFA to watch: RB Taylor (technically he's not a rookie, but he wasn't healthy last year... and he has a potential shot of making the roster).
  • I'm thinking the Packers want WR Taylor to make it for STs again... but right not is currently being out played by Funchess and will probably go with Funchess unless they can get a trade offer for him they like.
  • I don't like going light on OL with only 8... but Bakhtiari is on the PUP and I don't necessarily think he'll take an OL out when he joins the roster. Also my next up guy up is Nijman, which he's what 3rd or 4th OT and so far looks too underdeveloped for this being his 3rd year. And I'm hoping they can sneak the rest of the OL depth that they want to the PS.

• Defense
    DT (6): Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster, Heflin (29)
    OLB (5): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Galeai (34)
    ILB (5): Barnes, Campbell, Burks, Summers, Martin (39)
    CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Ento (45)
    S (5): Amos, Savage, Redmond, Black, Scott (50)

Defense Notes:
    [list]
  • 27 defenders made it, which is a bit heavy, especially with the 6 DL and 10 LBers, that's probably a bit too much, but I just couldn't give up on the potential of DL Heflin and LB Martin yet as they seem to be the bottom of their positions, but have upside potential to be more. I certainly would like to go with only 4 ILBers, but the team seem to like Burks and Summers for STs... so I'm thinking the next release would come between DL Lancaster, DL Heflin, OLB Galeai, ILB Summers and ILB Martin.
  • Top 5 to just miss the list: CB Jackson, CB Hollman, LB McDuffie, S Gaines, S Uphoff
  • UDFA to watch: DL Heflin, S Gaines, S Uphoff... Heflin is holding his own more than most interior rookies. Gaines and Uphoff show good instincts. Whomever is scouting these Safeties is doing a great job! Which we could scout CBs better!
  • CB Ento won one of the final roster spot over other CBs due to better usage in STs... where Jackson and Hollman struggled last year.

• Special Teams
    ST (3): K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradly (53)

Originally Posted by: beast 

I still like EQ over Funchess, but looks good overall. Possibly Malik for ST value.

Agree with going heavy on those defensive players.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    2 years ago
    Beast I have been looking at my version of the 53 roster for a week. I keep changing my mind on the last 3-4 guys.

Working off your latest version as my template:

Offense
    QB (2): Rodgers, Love
    RB (4): Jones, Dillon, Hill, Taylor
    WR (7): Adams, Lazard, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers, Winfree
    TE (4): Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney
    OT (3): Turner, Kelly, Newman
    IOL (5): Jenkins, Myers, Patrick, Runyan, Braden

I opted to keep the full 25 on both sides of the ball. I added Winfree at WR and P. Taylor at RB. Both will contribute on ST. I'm not sure that Winfree will beat out M Taylor but people seem to like him. Then again every single year we hear about great things about the WR6,7 or 8 and they don't make the team. I am keeping him solely based on ST.

The PUP list is a concern. I thought a player on PUP had to wait 6 weeks before they could rejoin the team. If that is the case then Bak will probably be on the final 53, then moved to IL where I think he only has to stay a few weeks. I didn't look it up so i will pretend it doesn't matter.

I can see GB trading Patrick for a 6th. If so plug in Hansen or Van Lanen. Either way, when Bak comes back Braden will probably he the one on the outside looking in. Because so many players can play multiple positions it is a lot easier for them to get by with 8 and stick a few on the PS. At one time I had Nijman as a possibility on my roster. This last weekend probably killed that.

Defense
    DT (5): Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster
    OLB (4): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin
    ILB (5): Barnes, Campbell, Burks, Summers, Martin
    CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Ento
    S (5): Amos, Savage, Redmond, Black, Scott

When they only line up with 2 or 3 down linemen they can get by with only 5. Gary and Z Smith can line up with a hand in the dirt from time to time.
    I have only 4 OLB because Campbell may wonder out there a little. Likewise they may thin the ILB a bit if they are going to fill in with Safeties. Burks was my guy who wasn't going to make the team but he looked pretty good on Saturday. It's only preseason but he does that more more games and they will have to keep him. Perhaps Joe's new defense will do him good. I was looking for McDuffie to take his place.
    I don't like having 11 DBs but they may fill in some at LB as well.
    I am not sure about Ento. He and Hollman are fighting for a spot. From what I remember he was decent on ST last year. After this past game they need to do something to shore it up. I can't make up my mind on Redmond. I am keeping him for now.
    Jackson is gone. I am surprised they haven't already released him. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play all all the next two fake games.

Special Teams
    ST (3): K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradly

It looks like P Taylor, Winfree, M Taylor, Braden, Hansen, Van Lanen, Heflin, Galeai, Hollman, Ento and Black are the bubble players fighting for the last 3 or 4 places.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    2 years ago
    I made a few tweaks to my roster. I have to include Bak or he's out or too long or all season. Put Nijman back on. I think Kelly has been injured too. I took P Taylor off the roster. They don't need 4 RB even though he would contribute on ST. M Taylor takes the Funchess, and Winfree spot as I cut from 7 to 6.

Offense
    QB (2): Rodgers, Love
    RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill
    WR (6): Adams, Lazard, MVS, Cobb, Rodgers, M. Taylor
    TE (4): Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney
    OT (5): Bak, Turner, Kelly, Newman, Nijman
    IOL (5): Jenkins, Myers, Patrick, Runyan, Braden

Added Helfin to the DL. Martin is gone. Gaines takes Redmond's place.
    Defense
    DT (6): Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster, Helfin
    OLB (4): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin
    ILB (4): Barnes, Campbell, Burks, Summers
    CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Ento
    S (5): Amos, Savage, Black, Scott, Gaines

Special Teams
    ST (3): K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradley

UserPostedImage
    beast
    • beast
    • Select Member Topic Starter
    2 years ago
    Updating mine, I didn't see the last preseason game.

Suspended List: Sternberger (The suspension list gets them past question if he makes the 53 man roster or not. As they keep him to see if anyone gets injured when his suspension is up, if nothing else)

Haven't heard an update on Bakhtiari, so I'm going the conservative route and keeping him on the PUP. Should he make the roster one of the OT will be dropped.

Offense
    QB (2): Rodgers, Love (2)
    RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill (5)
    WR (6): Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Taylor (11)
    HB (2): Deguara, Dafney (HB = H-back TE/FB) (13)
    TE (2): Tonyan, Lewis, (15)
    OT (4): Turner, Jenkins, Nijman, Kelly (19)
    IOL (5): Myers, Patrick, Runyan, Braden, Newman (24)

Offensive Notes:
    [list]
  • Light at QB, barely slightly heavy at WR, but pretty well balanced.
  • Most interesting battle: The starting OG spots. Patrick, Runyan, Braden and Newman were battling for them, and last I heard they said three guys and now battling for two spots. Not sure who's out but those OGs spots are literally up for grabs.
  • Wouldn't be surprised: Wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers shop OG Patrick and see what offers he might get in trade or QB Benkert making the 53 man roster.
  • Should Bakhtiari come off the PUP list, then I'm thinking OT Kelly is off the 53, both because he might be the worst pass blocking OT on the roster but also because as a vet he's salary is 100% locked in once he's on the roster week 1. Plus they might be able to make a deal to bring him back week 2 if no one picks them up and they have a need for OT.
  • Top 4 to just miss the list: QB Benkert, RB Taylor, OL Van Lanen, WR Funchess
  • QB Benkert probably deserves to make the team, but I'm biased against 3rd QB in this era as they usually don't do much but take up roster space, as there isn't enough practice time to develop them anymore. And you can normally put them on the PS.
  • RB Taylor... Taylor seems like he has good potential, but the roster is just pretty loaded at WR, TE and OL right now. I believe someone quoted LaFleur want talking about Taylor's notebook and said it was clear he's smart as his notebook was up there with some of the QBs in how detailed and good it is.
  • Van Lanen, one of the Packers draft picks and top OL not to make it, plus the OTs in front of him Nijman and Kelly are more experienced but based on their pass blocking, aren't exactly 100% locks either, should the Packers decide to go with more youth. And Packers have surprised and kept 10 OL at times when they drafted 3 OL and all made the 53 man roster.
  • Funchess was one of the top 53, but there wasn't enough WR spots... and they want the last one to go to STs. I really feel like they were playing him to shop/trade him. Also this might be a conspiracy, but if the Packers are planning to let Rodgers have some say in the teams final moves (as far as I know they're not, but if they are), then they wanted to clear Funchess out of the way, so Rodgers couldn't say keep Funchess (the better WR) over WR Taylor (the better ST) for the #6 WR spot.
  • [/list]

Defense
    DT (6): Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, Slaton Heflin (30)
    OLB (5): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Galeai (35)
    ILB (4): Campbell, Barnes, Burks, Summers (39)
    CB (4): Alexander, King, Stokes, Yiadom (43)
    Slot (2): Sullivan, Jean-Charles (45)
    S (5): Amos, Savage, Scott, Black, Gaines (50)

Defense Notes:
    [list]
  • Heavier than they usually go at DL, but the Rams have gone heavier and we got depth there.
  • Most interesting battles: Lots of them... Lancaster vs. Heflin, Galeai vs Scott, Summers vs STs, Yiadom vs. Ento, Gaines vs Uphoff.... I feel least certain about Yiadom and Ento.
  • Wouldn't be surprised: Wouldn't surprise me if they selected an athlete with ST potential over Summers... or surprised and went heavy at DB (though the Rams defense usually went light)
  • Top 4 to just miss the list: CB Ento, S Uphoff, ILB McDuffie, OLB Scott
  • CB Ento has shown good zone skills and I think I could argue for him over Yiadom, but I assume they traded for Yiadom thinking he'll make the roster with his ST work and experience. Which is why I'm leaning that why and feeling a bit bad for Ento.
  • Uphoff has clear development potential, it's just that he's not quite there but he has shown well in STs to have a change with potential.
  • McDuffie is a draft pick with straight line speed that could be helpful on STs
  • Scott... honestly I'm biased towards Scott as he was clearly playing out of position in a 3-4 DE interior DL role in college where he was totally out of place, he's clearly an edge rusher and I think going to take multiple years to develop, but the kid has length and athletic skills, if he can get the strength (which he can develop), he has the toughness (which I'm can't tell) and develops new technique he could be a late bloomer in the NFL out of no where. I think Galeai beats him out for now, especially since Galeai will be a lot more useful on STs with his quickness than Scott with his length.

• Special Teams
    ST (3): K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradly (53)
    Notes:
    [list]
  • Wouldn't be surprised: I don't think they're making any changes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make sure to look at the LS released and compare them to what they currently got.[/list]

• UserPostedImage
    beast
    • beast
    • Select Member Topic Starter
    2 years ago
    As I said, I missed the last preseason game but it sounds like Bills played their starters against our backups and Yiadom was often beaten bad by a more talented/higher string player.

After hearing that, I'm very tempted to switch Yiadom vs. Ento, as sounds like Ento had a better looking preseason, of course you also have to factor in whom they were going against as well. But I'm going say, I think I could be mistaken on that one already.

Also, I don't know how they feel about WR St. Brown, he's one of the few backups that I feel like shows better I'm season than preseason... I just can't think of much he's ever done in preseason.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (2h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (2h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (2h) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (3h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (15h) : damn those vikings
    beast (15h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (22h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (23h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (23h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.