beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
The NFL is draft is what, less than 10 days away?

What are you hoping for?

What's maybe your top 3 positions you're hoping for?

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
My main focus would be CBs and WRs as the Packers have so many guys in contract years that they can't keep them all. And CB isn't that good as is... so CB would be my top focus.

After those would be linemen... while we could use an upgrade on DL, my focus would be OL.... as we were the top offensive last year because the OL held up so we'll and a small few stars (Rodgers, Adams, Jones) and tough role players doing their job.

But if that OL declines, everything declines, as no one else can do nearly as well, as they're basically the glue and even time of possession, helps the defense so so much... as defenses wear down and need to remain fresh, and the best way is long drives on offense.

So my top three (if players values are about equal)... is
1) CB
2) WR
3) OL

(4 would of been DL)

My X-factor is LB, because if they want to play a good bit Tampa 2, we need a coverage LB or physical SS.... but LB seemed to be the last thing on our defensive coordinator mind when giving his first speech (though that could be misdirection or Gute has different thoughts than him, but he mentioned pass rush and DB coverage and seemed to be very key about the slot CB role)... which the Rams (the team he's from) had one large stud CB and a bunch of slot CBs. But they also had athletic LB which could be used well in coverage, which the Packers basically don't have.

Also, Gute has mentioned he strongly believes Savage could play the slot role... so there is a possibility of drafting a Safety and using one in the nickel (slot) or dime (SS/coverage LB) roles.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
3 years ago
1: Corner
2: Defensive Line
3: Inside Linebacker
4: Wide Receiver
5: rinse and repeat not necessarily in the same order.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
Out of curiosity I looked at 10 websites to see what others (I can't even call them experts.) think Green Bay needs.
WR, CB, OL, LB, DL and one person said they need help at safety. 🤭

Going threw the list:
WR- It would be nice to have another badazz WR opposite Adams. I think we would all go nuts. It's a luxury. With the system they have in place receivers are schemed open. MVS, Lazard and even Funchess are technically #2 receivers. MVS was #50 in yards for a WR. The 64th WR is still a WR2. Lazard if he played a full season would have been #47. (I know other receivers would have had better numbers but missed games. I am simply saying the potential is already on the team.) Funchess, has shown in the past he is capable as well. Like I said a new shiny WR for Aaron Rodgers would be nice but it's not the #1 need for the team in 2021.

CB- Now here is a need. My first priority. Outside of Alexander there's not a whole lot there. CB2 King graded out as one of the worst CBs last year. GB doesn't need to take someone in the 1st round (After all, they did get the NFC championship game with King so it's possible to do it again but...) but they need someone in the first 3 rounds.

OL- This is a real interesting group by the online groups. Some said OT. A couple said RT. OL, RG and OC round it out. Technically GB doesn't need a LT except Bak will start the season on the injured list. One of the nice things about the Packer OL was they have some flexibility. Jenkins can play anywhere. Turner moved around some as well. GB drafted the 3 kids in the 6th round last year. I am not sure who will be ready to start this year. Runyon played a little last year but PFF wasn't exactly impressed with him. Then again almost all rookies, even 1st round picks are pretty bad their first season so, there's a little hope. Nevertheless I consider getting someone for the OL to be a top priority. Once again I want someone in the first 3 rounds.

LB- was next on the internet board. Not for me. Once again it's nice to have a big named guy but this is the 21st Century and MLB isn't the same need as it was in the 1960s. It funny to read that experts say it will help with the run game but MLB are asked to drop into coverage more than defend the line. Most MLB are not very good at both so teams want coverage guys. I pass on this as a need for a year. Let Barnes and Martin have a full year to prove what they can do.

DL/DT- I feel it is a need. GB doesn't run a strict 3-4 or 4-3 and the Smiths and Gary take care of the outside but if we can get someone to push Lowry it would be good.

Safety- naw. Take a flier on a kid in the 6th or 7th.

Focus on CB, OL and DL in the early rounds.

UserPostedImage
civic
3 years ago
I’d like a rookie who can start from day one.
blank
Cheesey
3 years ago

I’d like a rookie who can start from day one.

Originally Posted by: civic 

I think we ALL would like that.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen very often. And even if they do start, usually it takes most of a season to try to get up to NFL speed.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

1: Corner
2: Defensive Line
3: Inside Linebacker
4: Wide Receiver
5: rinse and repeat not necessarily in the same order.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

That’s pretty much the same as I was thinking.
After all, great minds think alike!😜
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

The NFL is draft is what, less than 10 days away?

What are you hoping for?

What's maybe your top 3 positions you're hoping for?

Originally Posted by: beast 

When reading comments on the draft and such, I feel I'm the biggest party pooper.

I am hoping the Packers draft the best available player based on their scouting. If two players fall with similar grading, I would then say I hope if one is a QB, they take the other. Even hoping this could be a mistake. What if someone is ready to ship a Tier 2 player, maybe a starter plus 1st round next year for the QB? Do you see how I've already over thought this in less than 100 words in?

And this is where I'm a party pooper. I do not hope for positions because I feel that is a reachers mentality, and thus, a loser mentality. I'm not saying those who are asking are losers. We are just freaking fans, we have no say in the matter. It's also safe to surmise that fans have three positions they want the best player available to fall into. Meaning, let's say fans feel CB is the biggest need. They would probably hope the best player on the Packers board when their pick comes up is a CB. None of us want the Packers to draft a CB for CB-sake.

This is a good topic to discuss and I'll give it a go while under the assumption that the best player available happens to be one of these positions.

The most pressing needs for the Packers I think are Tackle, WR and DL. However, this changes if they move Jenkins to Tackle. If they do, I would then add CB in place of OL as I think a free agent Guard or one on the roster already could grow into the position. Otherwise a Center would be up there in battle for CB.

Ultimately, I am hoping the Packers get at least two starters from this draft. I know, I know, but Kevin you just said you draft for the future!!! This is me being optimistic and hopeful.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I know what you are saying Kevin. The thing is, we are so close to being able to reach a super bowl. If they pick the “BPA”, and it’s not a position we desperately need, then to me at least it’s a wasted pick. Yes, you also draft for the future, but the future is such an unknown at this point. Will our next QB also be a HOF QB? The odds would say no.
So the positions of need should be addressed now, while we still have a realistic shot.
JMO of course. Like you said, we are just fans and have no real say in it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I know what you are saying Kevin. The thing is, we are so close to being able to reach a super bowl. If they pick the “BPA”, and it’s not a position we desperately need, then to me at least it’s a wasted pick. Yes, you also draft for the future, but the future is such an unknown at this point. Will our next QB also be a HOF QB? The odds would say no.
So the positions of need should be addressed now, while we still have a realistic shot.
JMO of course. Like you said, we are just fans and have no real say in it.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I'm not sure drafting the best player available is ever a waste. The Packers have also reached the NFC Championship back-to-back years so I am not sure we are in desperation mode at any position. Some could make the argument that since we basically have no WR under contract for 2022 that would indicate desperation. I wouldn't dispute it.

I think winning a Super Bowl is what puts a QB into the Hall of Fame, more than the other way around. I think having a dominate OL and DL with playmakers elsewhere gets you into the dance and if you get a little luck, you win the whole thing.

The Buccaneers were lucky/fortunate last season. They barely beat the Redskins who were on their third or fourth QB and the Saints TE fumbling twice really helped the Buccaneers. The first fumble at the goal-line was rough and took 3 or 7 points away. The second fumble while they were driving to make it a two score game is what blew things away. Instead of going up 13-23 or 13-27 they went 20-20. Momentum was lost at that moment it was game over. Facing the Packers without David Bakhtiari was very lucky for them. Then they face a hobbling Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl with their dominating defense. Things fell their way and they took great advantage of it. That's how the game goes. When teams present opportunity, you have to smash it. Make no mistake, the Buccaneers have a punishing defense, it is the reason Tom Brady joined them. But, you give me David B and those three interceptions Brady throws turn into points, if not a helluva lot more time taken off the clock.

Injuries are part of the game. It's why winning it all is so sweet and glorious. This isn't meant to diminish what the Buccaneers did. The point I'm making is sometimes you need things to bounce your way (e.g. Desean Jackson 2010).

I'm not convinced the Packers are in desperation mode. If Jordan Love is half the QB I've read he is, I think the Packers are going to remain successful post Aaron Rodgers. The Packers need to build a strong OL and suffocating defense. It doesn't look sexy, it doesn't make you go 16 - 0 (err 17 - 0) in the regular season, but it's the best consistent approach to winning that championship.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.