Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Ted Thompson might be the most reviled man in Wisconsin.

Barely a day goes by that this newspaper doesn't receive a letter, e-mail or fax demanding the firing of the Packers' general manager.

Pro football is a tough business, and when you're in charge of a 5-9 team, it's only a matter of time before the vultures begin to circle.

Still, it would have been hard to imagine Thompson's approval rating tumbling to George W. Bush levels in such short order. Exactly 11 months ago today, Thompson was at the pinnacle of success, with the Packers hosting the NFC championship game in just his third year at the helm. Times were good, life was a breeze and victories flowed freely.

The Packers' fortunes have taken a stock market-like nose dive since, and it didn't take long for critics to put Thompson squarely in the crosshairs.

Two seismic events this year contributed to Thompson's steep drop-off in popularity. Trading Brett Favre was guaranteed to incite an angry mob, but when that controversial move was followed by a historic decline in the victory column, the floodgates of dissent opened wide.

Thompson can do nothing right in the eyes of his critics, and every misstep is magnified.

One recent e-mailer wanted to know why no one in the local media has called for Thompson's ouster, considering the Packers have produced just one winning season during his watch.

The answer isn't that complicated. Thompson should keep his job, for the time being, because you don't fire the general manager one season after his team came within an overtime of a Super Bowl berth. Thompson was charged with cleaning up after Mike Sherman, and the Packers were making steady progress until this season. One step backward isn't enough reason to clean house.

It's necessary to take the emotion out of the issue, as well as the immediate frustration of a season gone awry, and look at the big picture. A team doesn't post a 13-3 regular-season record, as the Packers did last year, with smoke and mirrors. There had to be some substance there, and it went beyond the presence of Favre.

If Thompson gets no credit for the 2007 season, then why must he absorb all the blame for 2008? You can't have it both ways.

That doesn't mean Thompson receives a free pass for this year's disappointing record. He's made his share of mistakes.

His inability to infuse the defense with enough talent has resulted in a major breakdown this season, and his attempts to improve the offensive line have come up short. The question marks in the trenches are a major concern, and the Packers' future depends on how that pans out. Thompson's reluctance to make bold moves, such as trading for high-end talent, also has stifled the Packers' progress.

However, Thompson has upgraded the receiving corps, turned the secondary from a weakness to strength and put the long-term future of the quarterback position in good hands.

I'm less convinced now than a year ago that Thompson will guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title, but it's too soon to send him packing. Thompson's team remains a work in progress, and next season will provide a better gauge of which direction the franchise is headed.

UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
haven't read the article yet. just the title. my thoughts: no shit.
UserPostedImage
Packerchick
15 years ago
None of us can really judge the man right away. It maybe rough going for a little while though. We have to be realistic. Am I right?
I am a woman and I love football.
Stevetarded
15 years ago
OMG BRETT FAVRE!!!11!!1!!!!1
blank
brnt247
15 years ago
This guy pretty much feels the same way I do.
blank
Stevetarded
15 years ago
You know now that I'm thinking about it. It would have been a terrible idea to break the bank in free agency last year to take a shot at the superbowl. Nobody knew if Rodgers was gonna be any good. We could have easily ended up with this spectacular team but with JT O'Sullivan back there throwin picks and getting sacked every play.

I am supporting Ted Thompson for the moment till next season. We have a team that has been good enough to get to the NFCC game and we now know that our QB can play. Which makes now the time to get it done. There is absolutely no excuse to have a bad season next year.
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago
I feel exactly the same as the author of the article. I expect results next season, although I won't go so far as to demand a certain amount of victories or a certain amount of success in the playoffs. We'll see how things unfold.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I like Thompson's approach so far. Cleaned up cap, brought in a couple FA to start the team, drafted and built depth. Now it is time for him to finish the job. We appear to have a QB that is more than capable of getting the job done and the best top to bottom WR group. Plus two serviceable RB. A strong secondary.

The team is to the point where Ted Thompson has to get back to FA to finish the team. At this point, IMO all the draft is going to do is replace young players with other young players, and the time for development is not going to keep up with those that are going to be lost with age.

This is the year Ted Thompson needs to show what he is willing to do. If he makes good FA moves I expect the team to quickly be back to the top of the North and a legitimate contender to make the SB.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dhazer
15 years ago

I like Thompson's approach so far. Cleaned up cap, brought in a couple FA to start the team, drafted and built depth. Now it is time for him to finish the job. We appear to have a QB that is more than capable of getting the job done and the best top to bottom WR group. Plus two serviceable RB. A strong secondary.

The team is to the point where Ted Thompson has to get back to FA to finish the team. At this point, IMO all the draft is going to do is replace young players with other young players, and the time for development is not going to keep up with those that are going to be lost with age.

This is the year Ted Thompson needs to show what he is willing to do. If he makes good FA moves I expect the team to quickly be back to the top of the North and a legitimate contender to make the SB.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Just a few things we DO NOT have a top wr group you forgetting the likes of the Cards, Saints, Colts to name a few. And Ted Thompson will not do anything in FA again, also i keep seeing this and i need someone to please explain this to me. People saying we might have been stuck with another qb where the hell was rodgers going his contract was going thru 2009 so please explain to me where the hell was he going to go?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

Just a few things we DO NOT have a top wr group you forgetting the likes of the Cards, Saints, Colts to name a few. And Ted Thompson will not do anything in FA again, also i keep seeing this and i need someone to please explain this to me. People saying we might have been stuck with another qb where the hell was rodgers going his contract was going thru 2009 so please explain to me where the hell was he going to go?

"dhazer" wrote:

1-5 I don't know of a team that matches up with WR. 1-3 sure, not 5 IMO.

The assumption that Ted Thompson will not do anything if FA is baseless. He has signed FA, Woodson and Pickett not to mention internal FA's. With the cap, teams really have 2-3 years where FA can be utilized. I believe his strategy is to get the team to the stage where there are good players, a solid base and then use FA to finish the team. He left Seattle at that point and now has GB to that place. It is up to him now to prove those that say he doesn't believe in FA wrong. He only believe in it when the time is right.

As far as Rodgers, I believe if Brett had decided to come back in the beginning that Rodgers would have been traded. I don't think it would have been a smart move to keep both Brett and Aaron for another year.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.