dfosterf
15 years ago
PHP -- Stands for "Packers Home Project" This is an off-season experiment, begun January 2, 2009.

This is a thread dedicated and "stickied" for those that volunteer to post an in-depth analysis on various subjects that should be of interest to fellow posters. Readers are of course welcome to comment and/or discuss the various posts. If you would like to volunteer, take a moment to read what jobs have been "taken", and simply post here in this thread that you would like to contribute. Newcomers to the site are especially welcome!

If you have any questions about the project, don't hesitate to post it here, or if you prefer, PM myself or any of the other contributors.
dfosterf
15 years ago

So we got:

Pack93z : Linebackers-- Current, FA, and draft guys that would fit

DFosterf : Management/Personnel/Training Including Ted Thompson and Murphy

Since 69: Punters , kickers, and special teams

Warhawk: Defensive Ends

Dhazer: Running Backs and Quarterbacks

Gotarace: Defensive Tackles

djcubez: Defensive Secondary (including cornerbacks)

all_about_da_packers Will be contributing to cornerbacks after draft + more extensively beginning mid May

Nonstopdrivel Capologist

PackFanWithTwins Offensive Line

We need more volunteers:

We Need someone for:

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Coaches and Coaching

Big Board Draft tracker-- with input from fellow posters, you keep track (and post) the rise and fall of players. With the help of those that have found various websites, you take note of changes as they occur, and could conceivably give commentary along these lines. This job would be for one who considers himself/herself a bit of a draft guru, or wants to become one.

This is current as of New Year's Day

Starts tomorrow.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Good post. j/k

Bump
dfosterf
15 years ago
My area of responsibility. I intend to give the reader information on these personnel, at least as is germane to the discussion. Biographies, areas of responsibility, perceived strengths and weaknesses, etc. I will be keeping abreast of any changes that occur. I will be rendering opinions on some of the personnel, as applicable.

Staff Administration

Mark Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer

Betsy Mitchell, Vice President of Organizational/Staff Development

Vicki Vannieuwenhoven, Vice President of Finance

Melanie Marohl, Salary Cap Analyst (Article posted- 1-8-09 PHP Salary cap analyst)

Bob Harlan, Chairman Emeritus

Who they are. What they do. How it affects the Packers.

Football Operations

Ted Thompson, Executive V.P., General Manager & Director of Football Operations

Russ Ball, Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance

Mike Eayrs, Director of Research and Development

Rob Davis, Director of Player Development

Matt Klein, Football Administration Coordinator

Scott McCurley, Coaching Administrator

Player Personnel

Reggie McKenzie, Director - Football Operations

John Schneider, Director - Football Operations

John Dorsey, Director of College Scouting

Shaun Herock, Assistant Director of College Scouting (Midwest)

Lee Gissendaner, Scout (East Coast)

Brian Gutekunst, Scout (Southeast)

Alonzo Highsmith, Scout (Southwest)

Lenny McGill, Scout (Central Plains)

Sam Seale, Scout (West Coast)

Jon-Eric Sullivan, Scout (Mid-South)

Richmond Williams, Scout (National Football Scouting)

Tim Terry, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Eliot Wolf, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Danny Mock, College Scouting Coordinator

Video

Bob Eckberg, Video Director (article posted 1-2-09 PHP A Pack of couch potato pros)

Equipment

Gordon 'Red' Batty, Equipment Manager (article posted 1-6-09 PHP Gordon "Red" Batty)

Tom Bakken, Assistant Equipment Manager (Article posted 1-3-09 PHP NFL Job seekers plan?)

Bryan Nehring, Assistant Equipment Manager (Article posted 1-3-09 PHP Packers fashion guru)

Tim Odea, Equipment Assistant see Red Batty

Kevin Nelson, Equipment Assistant see Red Batty

Medical

Pepper Burruss, Head Athletic Trainer

Dr. Patrick McKenzie, Team Physician (Article posted; 1-17-09 PHP Dr. Patrick McKenzie)

Dr. John Gray, Associate Team Physician

Bryan Engel, Assistant Athletic Trainer

Kurt Fielding, Assistant Athletic Trainer

Nate Weir, Assistant Athletic Trainer

Matt Frantz, Intern Athletic Trainer

David Rule, Intern Athletic Trainer
dfosterf
15 years ago
PHP- A PACK OF COUCH POTATO PROS

The Green Bay Packers deploy twenty-five 42 plasma displays in coaches offices, conference rooms, and meeting rooms in the Lambeau facility. 15 of the screens are assigned to the coaches for reviewing game and practice analysis video. According to Bob Eckberg, Video Director, they originally purchased 3 of the displays, but Ted took one look at the picture and instructed me to replace all of our existing rear projection with the plasmas.

The Packers soon discovered that watching football plays in 16:9  is an absolute perfect application for a plasma screen. (Author interjectionBob! Tell my wife!)

In the past, all video was being viewed on the aforementioned rear projection TVs. The problem was, most coaches offices were 12x16, and they couldnt get far enough back to see properly. The images were much larger than they needed, and too diffused. One of the most noticeable benefits of the plasmas is that scouts and coaches are looking for whos in the play, and they are now able to see a players number, which wasnt always the case when the video was projected on a ten foot screen in a small room.

The plasmas are all integrated into a system that not only allows a feed from video and other decks, but from everyones computer.

Hell of a lot of potential for some serious video gaming, Id imagine.

UserPostedImage
Good work if you can find it. UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage Now in his ninth off- season as Green Bay's video director, Bob Eckberg is enjoying his 28th year with the Packers overall.

In 2001, Eckberg became only the second full-time video director in franchise history.

Having served as Green Bay's assistant video director since 1982, he had taken over for the retired Al Treml, who since 1967 had headed up the club's filming/taping operations.

In his position, Eckberg oversees the production and editing of all game and practice tapes for the coaching and personnel staffs, as well as the regular exchange of video with other teams. In addition, he is in charge of the purchase and maintenance of the team's vast array of video equipment.

The 58-year-old Eckberg also directs the video department's taping of all workouts on prospective players and maintains a video library of all games for the previous three years. Additionally, the video staff compiles college player profile tapes for use during NFL Draft preparation. Eckberg also attends and shoots video of prospective players at the National College Scouting Combine, held every February in Indianapolis.

Eckberg began his career with the Packers in the early 1970s while working in the photo department of WBAY-TV in Green Bay. While employed at the station, Eckberg helped process all of the Packers' game film, then in 1976 started shooting end zone angle coaching film for home games played in Green Bay and Milwaukee. In the early 1980s, videotape technology became standard in the television industry, and in 1982 the Packers purchased the film lab setup from WBAY and hired Eckberg as assistant video director.

In addition to more than two decades of NFL games, Eckberg also has shot numerous postseason games, including the 1987 Hula Bowl, the 1982, 1987 and 2001 Senior Bowls, the 2005 Cactus Bowl, the 2008 Pro Bowl, as well as Super Bowls XXXI and XXXII. In addition, he served the NFL video directors during the 2000 season as a member of the quality control committee.

Born in Green Bay, Eckberg is a 1969 graduate of the city's Premontre High School. He and his wife, Terri, also a Green Bay native, have three sons: Joe, Justin and Zac; the couple also has one granddaughter, Madilyn.

In his spare time, Eckberg enjoys reading, cooking, fishing, woodworking and spending time with his family at its log cabin.

He has a staff of 3:

Chris Kirby, Assistant Video Director
Andy Muckerheide, Video Assistant
Mike Halbach, Video Assistant

Conclusion and analysis:

While I reckon some might disagree with his decision to go plasma over say, LCD, I am not going to advocate his termination over the decision. Also, while some are firmly convinced that Ted Thompson is stupid, the move to instantly replace all of the rear projection TV's was a good one, imo, so therefore do not feel like this would be ammunition for those keen thinkers that have Ted all figured out.

I say Bob stays. :thumbleft:
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Plasma is clearly the preferred technology over LCD for sports viewing application. It leaves no remnants, or "streaking", and if watching in a light-controlled environment, glare is not an issue... not to mention that with a plasma, you can achieve "true black"; very important for watching Falcons, Raiders, and Jaguars games.
UserPostedImage
Packnic
15 years ago

Plasma is clearly the preferred technology over LCD for sports viewing application. It leaves no remnants, or "streaking", and if watching in a light-controlled environment, glare is not an issue... not to mention that with a plasma, you can achieve "true black"; very important for watching Falcons, Raiders, and Jaguars games.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

does anyone else get aroused when talking about tv tech?
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Noooooooo....
UserPostedImage
bigfog
15 years ago
Twenty five plasmas? Man, no wonder the pro shop is expensive, they gotta pay that power bill some how.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
dfosterf
15 years ago
...Speaking of video, we see it, take it for granted nowadays, but have you ever wondered about how the hell they do it?

Link:

"The Yellow Line" 

While looking at the website, check out the link to "sportsvision"...

Now you know how they do the stuff in all the sports.

Pretty cool, imo *said the guy still fascinated by the hand held calculator*

:computer:
djcubez
15 years ago
Wow. Not to sound excited over something really not that important but this could really help the team. The fact that they can load film so easily and see plays better not only makes it accessible but very efficient. I'm surprised a move like this was not done sooner.
Fan Shout
beast (9h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (10h) : damn those vikings
beast (10h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (17h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (18h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.