Discussion Board
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2020-12-18T14:50:45Z

In 2010, the NFL modified its sudden-death overtime rules so that a team couldn’t win the game by merely receiving the kickoff and kicking a field goal on the first possession. Thursday night’s Chargers-Raiders game was only the fourth time in 11 seasons that rule came into play.

So it's changed 4 games in 11 seasons, to make things "more fair"...

Has those 4 games been worth getting rid of the excitement of "sudden death" overtime?

Also sudden death was self explanatory, where now if you're watching with a casual fan, you have to explain more rules as they ask repeated questions... I don't like that...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-12-18T15:39:34Z
Yeah it's fine. It doesn't happen all that often. I would rather they added the missing 5 minutes back to OT in order to avoid tie games.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
Zero2Cool
2020-12-18T15:40:24Z
Originally Posted by: Beast 

So it's changed 4 games in 11 seasons, to make things "more fair"...

Has those 4 games been worth getting rid of the excitement of "sudden death" overtime?

Also sudden death was self explanatory, where now if you're watching with a casual fan, you have to explain more rules as they ask repeated questions... I don't like that...

No.

Tie should never ever happen in any sport, ever.

This overtime stuff is not at all complicated and there's such an easy solution it's painful it has not been adopted.

If tied after 4 quarters, you go to overtime.
Overtime consists of 10 minutes or 15 minutes, whichever.
Whoever is winning at the end of that overtime period wins.
If the game is tied at the end of the overtime period, you have a FG shootout.
Each team trots out a kicker to kick a 37 yard field goal.
Both kickers attempt the FG.
Both make it, you back it up five yards and repeat until one makes it and the other misses it, game over.

Simple solution and everyone is happy. And most importantly, no more mother trucking ties!

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2020-12-18T16:01:21Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah it's fine. It doesn't happen all that often. I would rather they added the missing 5 minutes back to OT in order to avoid tie games.

I must rather just have sudden death... yeah it's not completely fair, but life isn't completely fair, neither is sports, nor football...

A coin flip is actually more fair than a lot of those things. And if you couldn't get it done in the first 60 mins of fair play, then why does the overtime have to be super duper fair, when a coin flip is fair.

If you want fair, go to the college overtime rules. Which I can support more than these odd NFL rules.

Sudden death or college football rules is where I'm at with overtime.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-12-18T18:27:41Z
The college system is simply better, fairer, and more exciting. But Goodell and others in the NFL has too much pride to adopt it.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-12-18T19:22:56Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

I must rather just have sudden death... yeah it's not completely fair, but life isn't completely fair, neither is sports, nor football...

A coin flip is actually more fair than a lot of those things. And if you couldn't get it done in the first 60 mins of fair play, then why does the overtime have to be super duper fair, when a coin flip is fair.

If you want fair, go to the college overtime rules. Which I can support more than these odd NFL rules.

Sudden death or college football rules is where I'm at with overtime.

A way to tweak the college OT rule is to begin at the 40 instead of the 25. Most teams will need to get 5 yards to have a shot at a FG.

There have been 5 NCAA games that went 7 OTs. Now that would be exciting.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-12-18T19:44:03Z

A way to tweak the college OT rule is to begin at the 40 instead of the 25. Most teams will need to get 5 yards to have a shot at a FG.

Excellent suggestion/enhancement

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
  • beast
2020-12-18T19:57:50Z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

The college system is simply better, fairer, and more exciting. But Goodell and others in the NFL has too much pride to adopt it.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's pride or stupidity but the NFL seem to be completely against any change unless it's clearly putting more money in their pockets.

But usually against changing rules until something happens where they have to, they were anti-changes in their media until the original XFL came along and showed how there are different tools out there, such as sky camera.

They seem to be stuck on putting famous names as headliners for TV announcers (and Romo is damn good at it) but generally speaking the radio guys are 10 times better it seems, and the TV announcers seem to be bad in comparison, despite getting more glory and attention and pay, paying for a name more than a quality well done job.

And after no fans and offense going extremely going up, and defenses sucking in general this year... they need to consider some rules that will help defenses going forward, especially if they're not going to have as many fans. Maybe let defenses bring some NFL agreed in tune to crank up or something.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2020-12-21T14:52:08Z
The fix laid out in the third post in this topic is most ideal. It should be the winner.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-12-21T14:56:47Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The fix laid out in the third post in this topic is most ideal. It should be the winner.

That's too much like soccer to work in the US of A. 🤣
beast
  • beast
2020-12-22T00:54:23Z

That's too much like soccer to work in the US of A. 🤣

Yeah, not gonna lie, I thought that one was the worst.... first off, why do a complete another quarter? That almost guarantees the TVs with move to the next game, so those watching it won't get to finish that game... and strengths the potential they could tie again. Then the FG thing, I could live it, but why?

If you're going to go that route, then have a one on one where best WR/TE vs DB/LB matchup where the QB has to get the ball out of their hands within ___ amount of seconds... and back and forth until some one team is successful and the other team fails, to pick up 10 yards. Maybe add if you must use different players and can't repeatedly be the same ones. Like a shootout American 🏈 football style.
UserPostedImage