nerdmann
3 years ago
They'll work out an agreement where the rookies and developmental guys get a game or two, then the starters will get a game to fine tune.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

The owners want the extra game so the NFLPA want them to "pay" for it by giving up something else. Even if it benefits them they want something in exchange. The extra game may still be a year or two away.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The part I've read that is a problem is do players simply get their salary dispersed throughout 18 weeks as opposed to 17 weeks? Currently, players receive a paycheck 17 times a year during the regular season. If the NFL adds a 17 regular season game and doesn't kick in more money to the players, that's a problem. The players see it as working 1 extra game a season while not getting paid or it. I'm probably not explaining this well, let's see if I can do gooder.

Let's say player gets $3,000,000 for the season.
16 games plus bye = $176,470 per week.
17 games plus bye = $166,666 per week.

Basically, the owners would get the revenue boost from the extra regular season game while the players just get their salary spread out one extra week. The players are probably not going to be cool with this. It's more wear and tear on their body and they get no monetary benefit from it.

If the NFL wants a 17th game, NFLPA is going to want more money (rightly so) and to reduce (if not eliminate) preseason. Those two home preseason games are something the NFL Owners really enjoy. It's basically straight cash for them. Reducing preseason by half and adding one game to the regular season would alter TV deals too.

Adding a 17th game just isn't as simple as I personally thought it would be. All in all, I think the 17th game is a horrible idea and saturates the product more than it already has. The NFL can't talk serious about player safety and then speak 17th game at the same time. At least, not without looking stupid.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
You explained it very gooderly. I've seen that discussion last year. They have no specific plan yet. One of the NFL Inc ideas is to add 1/17 pay to every contract for the additional game. NFLPA doesn't like that idea. They want more including a larger piece of the tv revenue.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
It will be negotiated with the next collective bargaining deal.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
3 years ago
Don’t they get paid for the preseason games? So if they do away with one or two of them and add a regular season game, wouldn’t that even it out pay wise?
Also, instead of different bye weeks, why not just give ALL teams off one week in the middle of the season? No one plays, all teams have the same week off, giving no team an advantage. All have off week nine.
Doesn’t that make sense?
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
I'm.confused as I thought this was already decided in the lastest CBA.

Owners can had a 17th regular season game whatever season they like, in exchange players got a high minimum wage which helps the little no bodies which fight and battle to make rosters year after year never being a site thing... while the elite players (whom mostly were not active in the union) absolutely hated it, because it wasn't helping them.

And while it's not official yet, rumor has it, the 17th game will be an AFC-NFC game, with one conference hosting in the even years and the other in the odd years. And going to be selected by where you finished in the division and what division your two years away from playing (so AFC-NFC teams will never play each other in back to back years unless they see each other in the Super Bowl).

If all that is true... IF... the Packers 17th game will be the Chiefs, as we faced the AFC South this last year, North this coming year and East the following year. So it'll be the West in 2023 and both the Chiefs and Packers finished 1st in their divisions.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

Don’t they get paid for the preseason games? So if they do away with one or two of them and add a regular season game, wouldn’t that even it out pay wise?
Also, instead of different bye weeks, why not just give ALL teams off one week in the middle of the season? No one plays, all teams have the same week off, giving no team an advantage. All have off week nine.
Doesn’t that make sense?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

No games televised = no television revenue. NFL Inc thinks a horrible game is better than no game at all.

Beast I think you are correct. Rodgers was the team union rep when the rest of the team didn't vote like he wanted, which would only benefit the mega stars like himself he resigned in a huff.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

No games televised = no television revenue. NFL Inc thinks a horrible game is better than no game at all.

Beast I think you are correct. Rodgers was the team union rep when the rest of the team didn't vote like he wanted, which would only benefit the mega stars like himself he resigned in a huff.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I get that. But they do get paid with preseason games, don’t they? I mean, it’s part of their job, so they must be getting money for it. They don’t do ANYTHING for free.
Having to play a 17th game and complaining, while even the less paid players rake in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. These guys make more in one year playing a game then most hard working people make in a decade.
I know, they are “special”.
Greed drives everything it seems.
And the greedy owners are just as bad.
Rant over.😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I get that. But they do get paid with preseason games, don’t they? I mean, it’s part of their job, so they must be getting money for it. They don’t do ANYTHING for free.
Having to play a 17th game and complaining, while even the less paid players rake in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. These guys make more in one year playing a game then most hard working people make in a decade.
I know, they are “special”.
Greed drives everything it seems.
And the greedy owners are just as bad.
Rant over.😁

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

You should read this article by Richard Sherman. It adds to what I already said about the two preseason games being basically straight cash for the NFL Owners. They charge full ticket price and the players get something like $1,500. If the player gets injured, tough nuggets, your contract isn't guaranteed.

I found Sherman's comments regarding the benefits of preseason to be interesting.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/08/27/richard-sherman-stevie-brown-injuries 

The players only receive this amount because of what the NFL pulls in via revenue. If the TV deals were to vanish, players would get a substantial decrease in paychecks. Advertising is the key to their income.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

You should read this article by Richard Sherman. It adds to what I already said about the two preseason games being basically straight cash for the NFL Owners. They charge full ticket price and the players get something like $1,500. If the player gets injured, tough nuggets, your contract isn't guaranteed.

I found Sherman's comments regarding the benefits of preseason to be interesting.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/08/27/richard-sherman-stevie-brown-injuries 

The players only receive this amount because of what the NFL pulls in via revenue. If the TV deals were to vanish, players would get a substantial decrease in paychecks. Advertising is the key to their income.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The story was from 2013. I think things have changed a little in 7 years. It still isn't very much. I think it was about $1900 a week in 2019. That said, if players want to complain, they should start with their union first. Preseason pay was agreed to in the CBA. It's a crap deal for the 50-80th players on the preseason roster but it doesn't really matter to the premiere stars like Rodgers. If he has a season ending injury in training camp he is still going to get paid all year long while the guys on the bottom are going to get some kind of injury settlement and get kicked out the door. Like so many other things in life, those who don;t really need it are helped while the ones who need assistance the most have the weakest voice. It would be a much better system if the top income was capped and the floor was raised two or three fold.

As far as preseason games go, GB has been adjusting the ticket price per game. The preseason games are about half of what they used to be. Ticket prices for premium games like Chicago are much higher than games against weaker AFC teams like Cincinnati will be.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.