Zero2Cool
3 years ago

With Kevin King going into the last year of his contract and Josh Jackson still unable to carve out a role, 2020 will bring critical answers about the future of the former 2018 second-round pick. Josh Jackson  saw it all the way, a ball outside the numbers without enough zip on it. He drove hard, pushing off his back leg, and by the time was in his hands the scoreboard might as well have lit up because he was making a house call the other way. When the former Green Bay Packers second-round pick landed on the scene two seasons ago, he became a preseason sensation, outplaying Jaire Alexander  and looking like the kind of player the NFL overthinks. He was big, instinctive, and an outstanding playmaker, but he was just a touch slow, running 4.5+ at a position that demands stopwatch speed.

Now, with Kevin King  entering the last year of his contract coming off an uneven season, Jackson has the chance to prove he’s the future at the position or else risk busting, despite a situation now set up for him to thrive.

As a rookie, excuses were easy. Jackson played mostly zone at Iowa and would be asked to press in man coverage far more often for Mike Pettine. He had the length and demeanor for it, but did he have the polish or the athleticism? He ended up playing far more slot reps than expected, and more than his skillset would warrant. Playing on the boundary as a zone corner would allow him to best succeed, but that’s not where his opportunities had come.

We should be dubious about those claims, however.

The Packers play more zone than you think According to The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia , the Packers ’ defense played even better than even the most effusive headlines, finishing fourth in EPA/dropback out of base and fifth out of nickel. This contributed to their success against the base offensive formation in the NFL (11 personnel with three receivers), where they were sixth.

But we knew they were a quality defensive team last season against opposing passers. A top-10 passing defense by DVOA and a top-5 pressure rate pointed to a team capable of getting stops when they needed it thanks to their secondary and pass rush.

More surprising though, Kapadia found the Packers were actually better in zone coverage last season than man, and significantly so. In fact, they were the fifth-best team in the league last season in zone coverage in EPA/dropback, and used their single-high Cover 3 look the most of any scheme under Pettine’s stewardship.

That leads to a pivotal question: then where is zone ballhawk Jackson? Coming out of Iowa, the theory went that if he went to a zone team, where he could read quarterbacks and make plays on the ball, Jackson could thrive. As a rookie, asked to play more man coverage and even some in the slot, Jackson struggled until late in the year, failing to accomplish even simple tasks like playing the ball in the air. That was supposed to be his wheelhouse.
OK. Rookie struggles.

But between Tramon Williams  discovering the fountain of youth and Kevin King  finding a way to stay on the field, Jackson became less than an afterthought in 2019. Chandon Sullivan  got the reps in dime, proving to be a versatile cornerback but a player without Jackson’s size, playmaking talent, or draft pedigree. Jackson’s injury in the summer opened the door for Sullivan, who kicked it down and lit the door’s archway on fire so no one else could pass. He’s now in line to be the starting slot come Week 1.

Even when King missed time with injury or Jackson got reps late in games, the second-year pro from Iowa struggled. The summer where he outshined first-round pick Jaire Alexander , became a preseason star, and picked off a pass seemingly once an exhibition game evaporated. Where was that Josh Jackson ? This version looked more like the one from Dawson’s Creek. If we’re being charitable, maybe Mighty Ducks, but the third one.

Putting Jackson’s talents to use Jackson’s absence on defense—he did play 51.6% of special teams snaps—may be as simple as Tramon Williams  playing great and Kevin King playing well enough. For whatever Pettine and Matt LaFleur say about Jackson’s ability to play the slot, it’s not his best position and particularly if they’re going to play more zone coverage, the boundary screams for Jackson. If the ageless Williams really won’t be back—the Packers could still sign him—it’s possible the solution isn’t as simple as saying “play Chandon Sullivan  as the nickel.”

Pettine could slide Jaire Alexander inside where his twitchy, playmaking instincts can shine. Jackson could audition for King’s role in 2021, particularly with King’s free agency looming next offseason, providing the Packers an opportunity to audition King’s replacement. And they’d be getting someone who graduated from Yale drama, not just any random cattle call audition bit player. Jackson’s talent can’t be discounted. He’s still the same guy who outplayed Alexander in rookie camp and training camp of their first season, still the guy who led college football in interceptions and has the kind of ball-hawking ability few players can truly claim in the modern NFL.

If the Packers are going to be a Cover 3 team, playing King opposite Jackson with Alexander in the slot (perhaps even playing the Charles Woodson  role where he could be manned up, in zone, lurk, or any number of coverages) presents the most purely talented group of cornerbacks Green Bay could possibly put on the field. Jackson on one side with Alexander on the other and Sullivan in the slot may very well be the most economical, even if King plays well this season.

Can the Packers afford to pay King with the all the risks, even provided his estimable talent? Playing 30 games in three years hardly screams “reliability” but leading the team in interceptions in 2019, including several crucial plays, could be enough to earn him a second contract.

For Jackson, there’s always the option of a move to safety where he can use his rangy, instinctive preternatural ability to read quarterbacks and make plays on the football. A three-safety look with Adrian Amos , Darnell Savage , and Jackson puts a hell of a playmaking trio on the field. That’s the backstop for Jackson but not the preference. He’s more valuable as a starting cornerback and, on a rookie deal, offers the Packers a cheaper solution in the short run than King without the same injury baggage.

On the other hand, Jackson’s absence looms conspicuously and ominously over the Packers future plans. If Jackson fails to prove he’s worthy of faith as the starting cornerback, Russ Ball and Brian Gutkunst face a tricky decision over how to handle King’s contract and by extension the position as a whole, threatening to upend the continuity they’ve built, however tenuously.

Alexander, Savage, and Amos  look like foundational pieces in this secondary and Sullivan is building a case through assiduous growth. Does Jackson use 2020 as a springboard into that conversation, or will he remain in stasis, landing the Packers back in the market for a starting cornerback in 2021? With so much talent around him and upfront, the answer to that question could very well dictate the degree to which this defense remains good enough to help Aaron Rodgers  compete in the final years of his Packers career and whether or not they are in a position to do so once Jordan Love takes over.

Continue Reading @ Peter_Bukowski 

Peter_Bukowski wrote:

I remember being excited as heck that the Packers landed this kid in round two. Once again, the "experts" made a fool out of me because they were all talking about him going in the 1st round and here we land him in round two. I hope the light turns on for him. If not, then the Packers need to stop drafting DB's, period.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Maybe part of the problem is that he could “read” college level QBs, but the pro level is a lot higher.
I of course hope he will have a great season and help our D a lot more.
Time will tell.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
First off, let's talk about Gute, he absolutely LOVES upside potential ... the only way the guys with the highest upside potential to drop, is for them to be under developed.

So Gute drafts a ton of under developed, high potential players in general, which is exactly what Jackson is... and the big question is why are these players under developed and will they develop?

For Jackson, his issues are
1) Underdeveloped, one year college starters, he hasn't gotten that much playing time.

2) Only played in a zone system in college, seriously needed to learn to how to back petal and run with someone in man coverage, because he simply hadn't been even asked to try.

3) Seems to have the natural skill set for NFL bump and run CB, not as much off coverage or zone, even he played zone in college, but while he has the great ball skills for zone, he doesn't necessarily have the ptefered quickness and change of direction for it (most large CBs don't), and not saying he's lacking, just that I don't believe he'll be special in that area.

4) Bump and run CBs (ie Al Harris, Tramon Williams, etc), usually seem to take even longer to develop than normal to develop an extra year or two, where it's not always their first team to get their best years.

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but also the Packers seemed to run mostly man coverage in 2018, and then ran mostly zone coverage in 2019.

Also, I still don't fully understand why they switched over, other than the lack of talented CBs and zone might give their pass rush an extra second. But I feel like Alexander and Savage would be better in man coverage, King would be worse, Amos would be about equal either way.

And that's my biggest coaching question right now, what scheme will the DBs be mostly be running? I assume zone again, for the same reasons we did last year, but the Packers SERIOUSLY need to upgrade their CB depth, it was the most overlooked need especially with these veterans QBs this year.

Also Gute likes creating space for young guys to grow, so no resigning Williams to let Sullivan, Jackson and maybe Hollinan have a chance to step up.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Beast beckoned

Seems to have the natural skill set for NFL bump and run CB, not as much off coverage or zone, even he played zone in college, but while he has the great ball skills for zone, he doesn't necessarily have the ptefered quickness and change of direction for it (most large CBs don't), and not saying he's lacking, just that I don't believe he'll be special in that area.

B, great post.....This was the money shot. I guess I just don't think he has the 'quicks' to consistently cover for NFL caliber receivers....especially vs. a slot.

I still think he would be a terrific (dare I say all-pro) safety.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (6h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (7h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (10h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (10h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.