Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
GB's GM Brian Gutekunst, in consultation with HC LaFleur, have chosen to use the Packers 3rd selection of the 2020 NFL Draft to take Josiah Deguara (TE) out of Cincinnati. Some say that he is undersized for a TE in the NFL. At 6'2" and 242 lbs, he ran a 4.72 sec. time in the 40 yard dash and impressed by lifting 25 / 225 bench press reps at the recent combine.

OK, he's not the WR many were hoping for or is he? With the Bearcats he was used as something of a universal solder that could be found lining up at FB or as a Slot Receiver, or TE, and as a Wide Out Receiver as well. For the Packers I can see him as the very tough TE/Slot Receiver that can bear up to taking those hits for catches over the middle better than a faster(and less beefy) more standard WR. TEs don't always have to be 6'6" and weigh 285 lbs. to be effective. Jace Sternberger is slightly larger at 6'4" and 251 lbs., but was praised for his blocking skills when drafted out of Texas A&M. The two of them may just develop into the Dynamic TE Duo that will change the thinking about the TE position moving forward!

I choose to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. As for WRs, there is still time to trade, draft, and acquire FA WRs. Gutekunst is fully aware of the needs Aaron Rodgers WR and OT and LB. I seen to remember last year how nervous some got before TWO fellows named Smith came to play for GB. Show some patience before you reach for mud to throw.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
This is kind of eye opening:

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

I'd feel better about it if the Packers had the same caliber of line as the 49ers. On the other hand, with the addition of Dillon, the Packers might now have the edge in the running back department.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
4 years ago

I choose to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. As for WRs, there is still time to trade, draft, and acquire FA WRs. Gutekunst is fully aware of the needs Aaron Rodgers WR and OT and LB. I seen to remember last year how nervous some got before TWO fellows named Smith came to play for GB. Show some patience before you reach for mud to throw.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I'll add to the 'glass half full' view: after the season ended, I was struck by Aaron Rodgers suggesting the Packers weren't equipped to run no-huddle - partly due to lack of experience and also due to personnel. The last part really confused me - maybe Aaron was hinting the WRs were largely idiots who couldn't pick-up the scheme? It makes more sense after the first 2 nights of the draft that Aaron was saying that a lack of personnel limited LaFleur from implementing his true offense.

I think this draft shows us that the Packers didn't have versatile enough pieces to run a no-huddle / quick tempo offense under LaFleur's scheme. It seems like LaFleur wants bigger bodies capable of lining up in 2-TE, 1-TE 1-Half Back, 2-RB, and bunch formations which also facilitate motion. In other words, like Gutey said tonight: everything works off the run game in LaFleur's scheme. A RB and a TE you can line up as FB, have stand-up in bunch formation, or be the 2nd TE with his hand down... seems like the 3rd round pick Deguara fits that bill.

Which brings me to the broader issue I think so many Packer fans are having in this draft: they are viewing it in light of a McCarthy scheme / game-plan. Under a Mike McCarthy scheme, I would be the first to be all doom and gloom at these pics; but McCarthy isn't the coach anymore. Under LaFleur's scheme, these picks ... might not be too bad.

A RB tandem of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon on the field at the same time? A 2-TE formation with Sternberger and Deguara, or 3-TE with Mercedes Lewis? Have a TE line up as a full back and motion out to the slot or out wide? Have Lazard, who few have suggested be a TE, chip in with his blocking? Bunch formation where you have 3-4 above-average blockers who are thicccc, can sustain blocks and might be more difficult to bring down even if not the fastest? Force defenses to commit to stopping the run, giving 'Tae more 1-on-1 match-ups? Motion Jones or Dillon (assuming he is under the radar in the passing game) to the slot or out wide to force a LB-RB mismatch? These are only a handful of possibilities we now have.

I'm intrigued because some of our best in-rhythm games on offense came when 'Tae was out injured last year. It now seems like LaFleur has more pieces that fit his vision - and I'm intrigued. If nothing else, he has at least helped limit the exposure of Rodgers to big-hits even if not drafting a RT.

As for all the calls of "Packers haven't addressed any of their weaknesses at OL/DL/CB/LB/WR" ... I'll point out that Jared Veldheer (RT), Snacks Harrison (DL), Tramon Williams (CB), and Clay Mathews (LB) are all still available as free agents. Not saying we sign all of these vets, but Gutey has intriguing possibilities on the free-agent market to not force a need-driven selection. I'm surprised we haven't drafted a WR yet, but then again maybe I'm also viewing it from the 'McCarthy scheme' lens - maybe LaFleur's scheme can be run well with what we currently have and some competition to round out the position group can be had in rounds 5-7. Also, interested to see how the team utilizes Tyler Ervin on offense - I can't imagine he gets many snaps at RB but maybe as a gadget WR?

So, not all doom and gloom from my perspective. But really interested to see the scheme and plays being run in pre-season.

The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Mucky Tundra
4 years ago

Which brings me to the broader issue I think so many Packer fans are having in this draft: they are viewing it in light of a McCarthy scheme / game-plan. Under a Mike McCarthy scheme, I would be the first to be all doom and gloom at these pics; but McCarthy isn't the coach anymore. Under LaFleur's scheme, these picks ... might not be too bad.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I think this is the best way to sum up how a lot of people feel about this draft (well, more so rounds 2+3). People want the old spread offense, with Rodgers in the shotgun with 4 or 5 wideouts and slinging the ball around. To use a boxing analogy, the early McCarthy offenses were like a boxer that relied on sheer power that wore opponents out with constant power punches and finally delivered a crushing KO to the chin. MLFs offense is more a technician: constant jabs, working the body, protecting the chin and only going for a KO when you're ahead on the judges scorecards and the opponents gloves start to drop. I think a lot of people are on board with the idea of a more methodical offense but need time to be weaned off the old one.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
4 years ago

I'll add to the 'glass half full' view: after the season ended, I was struck by Aaron Rodgers suggesting the Packers weren't equipped to run no-huddle - partly due to lack of experience and also due to personnel. The last part really confused me - maybe Aaron was hinting the WRs were largely idiots who couldn't pick-up the scheme? It makes more sense after the first 2 nights of the draft that Aaron was saying that a lack of personnel limited LaFleur from implementing his true offense.

I think this draft shows us that the Packers didn't have versatile enough pieces to run a no-huddle / quick tempo offense under LaFleur's scheme. It seems like LaFleur wants bigger bodies capable of lining up in 2-TE, 1-TE 1-Half Back, 2-RB, and bunch formations which also facilitate motion. In other words, like Gutey said tonight: everything works off the run game in LaFleur's scheme. A RB and a TE you can line up as FB, have stand-up in bunch formation, or be the 2nd TE with his hand down... seems like the 3rd round pick Deguara fits that bill.

A RB tandem of Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon on the field at the same time? A 2-TE formation with Sternberger and Deguara, or 3-TE with Mercedes Lewis? Have a TE line up as a full back and motion out to the slot or out wide? Have Lazard, who few have suggested be a TE, chip in with his blocking? Bunch formation where you have 3-4 above-average blockers who are thicccc, can sustain blocks and might be more difficult to bring down even if not the fastest? Force defenses to commit to stopping the run, giving 'Tae more 1-on-1 match-ups? Motion Jones or Dillon (assuming he is under the radar in the passing game) to the slot or out wide to force a LB-RB mismatch? These are only a handful of possibilities we now have.

I'm intrigued because some of our best in-rhythm games on offense came when 'Tae was out injured last year. It now seems like LaFleur has more pieces that fit his vision - and I'm intrigued. If nothing else, he has at least helped limit the exposure of Rodgers to big-hits even if not drafting a RT.

As for all the calls of "Packers haven't addressed any of their weaknesses at OL/DL/CB/LB/WR" ... I'll point out that Jared Veldheer (RT), Snacks Harrison (DL), Tramon Williams (CB), and Clay Mathews (LB) are all still available as free agents. Not saying we sign all of these vets, but Gutey has intriguing possibilities on the free-agent market to not force a need-driven selection. I'm surprised we haven't drafted a WR yet, but then again maybe I'm also viewing it from the 'McCarthy scheme' lens - maybe LaFleur's scheme can be run well with what we currently have and some competition to round out the position group can be had in rounds 5-7. Also, interested to see how the team utilizes Tyler Ervin on offense - I can't imagine he gets many snaps at RB but maybe as a gadget WR?

So, not all doom and gloom from my perspective. But really interested to see the scheme and plays being run in pre-season.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

1) Great freaking post!

2) I wouldn't we're necessarily looking at it from MM's scheme, but that of a usually or average scheme would all suggest that the 2nd WR is more valuable, but you're absolutely right in this offense the large slot guy is very valuable and with our two 3rd round TE picks, we basically have a TE and large slot guys between the two and they can be interchange and keep the defense off guard.

3) I'm convinced that the Packers offense was more successful without Adams had a lot more to do with the poor defenses we faced then (and Chiefs were badly banged up), then anything to do with Adams.

4) Back to this scheme, I think this scheme has 3 really key guys, the

QB, which is extremely valuable in today's NFL
RB, which this scheme makes a focal point to keep the pressure off the QB, since all defenses are looking to put maximum pressure on QBs.
Large Slot WR: 49ers have George Kittle and Rams have Cooper Kupp and they're stars in those times and we could see one of our TEs becoming stars in a very similar way.

4) Also talking about your Rodgers comment that we didn't have the verstile personal, this offense also has a blocker, which is largely how these offenses are all different (that and the slow role).

49ers use a FB for blocking and TE Kittle for the large slot role.

Rams use a TE for blocking and WR Cooper Kupp for the large slot role.

There was questions about how the Packers were going to handle this, my only assumption has been Graham as the large slot WR (cus he's not a WR or blocker).

And I don't know how WR/TE Devin Funchess fits I to this, but he's in a I e year deal.

But the Packers now have TEs Sternberger and Deguara for muliple years and they can do both the blocking role and the large slot role and even switch back and forth from play to play.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
If the WRs we already have can improve GREATLY over last season, maybe not getting one of the “great” WR prospects that we kept hearing about won’t end up killing us.
We have bodies, but can they do what is needed? Time will tell.
I wonder if getting the new RB will spell “so long” to Williams?

UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

If the WRs we already have can improve GREATLY over last season, maybe not getting one of the “great” WR prospects that we kept hearing about won’t end up killing us.
We have bodies, but can they do what is needed? Time will tell.
I wonder if getting the new RB will spell “so long” to Williams?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Maybe so long Dexter Williams...

The WRs won't improve greatly other than maybe MVS, Lazzard might come close to maximuming his skill set, but he has physical limitations.

It's the TEs that might improve because they might grow, and they fit the scheme better than Graham (cus they block and catch).

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
earthquake (1h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (3h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (6h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (7h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.