Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Can The Packers Trade Aaron Rodgers? If So, When?

By Thegreatreynoldo

Apr 24, 2020

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

The Packers selected Jordan Love by moving up from the 30th pick to number 26. Many folks think a good model for reaching a super bowl is to have an inexpensive quarterback starting for the team. Aaron Rodgers is not inexpensive, so when could the Packers release or trade Rodgers?

2020: Straight Trade/Release - NO!

If traded today, Rodgers has $51.148M in dead money charges that would accelerate onto the 2020 cap. Since his current cap number is $21.642M, the Packers' cap space would shrink by $29.506M. The team has insufficient cap space to absorb that kind of dead money charge. It would be illegal. The team has about $11M in cap space, but about $5.5M has to be used to pay for the practice squad, the 52nd and 53rd players, and to sign their draft picks.

To generate the necessary cap space, Green Bay would have to trade David Bakhtiari and Davante Adams, which gains $20.75M. Still short, the team could trade Corey Linsley to gain $8.5M more. That would be $29.25M, still short, but close enough with the team's current cap space.

Otherwise, after trading Bakhtiari and Adams, the team could trade or release Lane Taylor to get $4M in cap space and then restructure Preston Smith to gain roughly $5M. The Packers cannot get much cap relief by restructuring ZaDarius Smith or really anyone else.

2020: Post June Trade - YES

$1.964M cap savings in 2020*. The Packers would have to take $14.352M in a signing bonus proration and $5.24M for the roster bonus just paid as dead money charges in 2020. That would result in $1.964M in cap saving for 2020. It leaves a dead money charge in 2021 of $31.556M. Since Rodgers' scheduled cap number for 2021 is $36.352M, the team would have $4.796M more in cap space than overthecap is currently projecting for 2021. Note with Covid-19, the expected increase in the salary cap is problematic.

2020 Positional Spending: $53.548M with an immediate trade. [The Packers would have to divert large resources already committed to other positions.] Jordon Love's cap number should be about $2.4M plus the $51.148M dead for Rodgers. For my own safety (so my head does not explode), I am going to simplify the rest. With an immdiate trade, it would be $2.4M plus $51.148M for Rodgers and probably $752K for Boyle (if not more should the Packers decide a veteran backup is necessary). That's adds up to $53.548M.

2020 Positional Spending would be $22.744M with a June trade. Rodgers would count $19.592M, Love about $2.4M, and Boyle $752K, which adds up to $22.744M for 2020 (with that pesky $31M dead money charge in 2021).

2021: Immediate Trade in February or March: YES

The Packers would gain $4.79M in cap space and have no dead money in 2022. That is after taking a $31.56M dead money charge but offsetting it against Rodgers' $36.352M scheduled cap number.

Post June trade: $15.2M in cap saving for 2021* with a $17.204M dead charge for 2022. If Rodgers agreed to defer payment of his $6.8M roster bonus until after June (and the acquiring team agreed to pay it all), then the cap savings would be $22M. Rodgers has a $6.8M roster bonus due March 15.

Positional Spending: $34.46M in 2021 with an immediate trade. That is $31.56M for Rodgers, plus perhaps $2.9M for Love. Boyle would be an RFA, and his salary, either the tender or a negotiated salary that is less than the tender, should be added (or the cost of a veteran backup) to QB positional spending.

It is $17.25M with a post June trade (with a $17.202M dead money charge in 2022). Rodgers would have a $14.352M dead money cap hit (not counting the $17.2M dead in 2022), plus Love's $2.9M hit. [This is the first year Green Bay could divert money from the quarterback position to shore up other positions, but it only is possible with a June trade.]

2022: Immediate Trade - YES. Post June Trade - YES

$22.648M in cap savings in 2022 with no dead money charge in 2023. A post June trade would generate $25M* in cap saving with a $2.85M dead money charge in 2023.

*Add $500K to the post June cap savings in each year if the acquiring team pays Rodgers' workout bonus. Workout bonuses are usually earned by early June and paid shortly thereafter. Here, the trade would be official June 2nd, but Rodgers would still have to pass a physical, and who knows when that might be, especially in 2020.

Positional Spending: $17.752M plus an unknown amount for a backup or two. That is $3.4M for Love and $$14.352M +$2.85M dead for Rodgers. in 2023).

Year		Cap Savings		Pos. Spending
2020 Now	-$29.506M		$53.548M
2020 June	+$1.964M		$22.744 + $31M dead
2021 March	+$4.79M			$34.46M + backup
2021 June	+15.20M/$22M	$17.25M + $17.2 dead + vet?
2022 March	+22.648M		$20.602M No dead + backups
2022 June	+$25.0M			$17.75M + $2.85M dead in 2023
The Packers would not have a really cheap quarterback position until 2023 when Love would have about a $4M salary cap number. Love would be on his fifth year option in 2024 which is considerably less useful under the new CBA. With a Pro Bowl or two, he might earn the transition tag number. Drafting Love really does not make too much sense from a pure cap perspective if the model is paying one's quarterback around or less than 4% of the salary cap and using that money to buy free agents.

This article, while not exactly elegantly written, cleared some things up for me. I hadn't realized until now that it simply isn't possible to trade Rodgers this year -- the Packers would be in violation of salary cap rules if they did so.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

This article, while not exactly elegantly written, cleared some things up for me. I hadn't realized until now that it simply isn't possible to trade Rodgers this year -- the Packers would be in violation of salary cap rules if they did so.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yeah, I'm too tired to follow that right now. BUT, the results seem about right... as I was thinking after 2021 season when we could trade him fairly reasonably. Some were suggesting it'd be a lot longer than that.

Not that we'll be in a rush to trade him, someone would have to make the right offer, and teams right now aren't that interested at the moment. Of course, they might be, once it's Rodgers gets there.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Green Bay keeps Aaron for the duration of his contract.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
Didn’t even read the article because the headline was so idiotic. Drafted a QB who isn’t anywhere near ready to play (and probably won’t be for 2-3 years), and now we’re talking about trading Rodgers? My God people. We were in the damn NFC Championship last year. This is not a team in need of rebuilding.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

This is not a team in need of rebuilding.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

And yet it's becoming increasingly clear that this team is in fact going into rebuilding mode.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

And yet it's becoming increasingly clear that this team is in fact going into rebuilding mode.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yes it is. And I don’t understand why.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Only thing increasingly clear to me is how little WE fans are able to comprehend how an organization functions in the NFL. Mike McCarthy taught us one thing. Every year is a new team, a new identity. Did we not learn anything from the last 15 years?

Those who are freaking out over who wasn't picked or even who was picked ... you didn't scout anyone. You didn't view all-22 film of every Packers game and take notes. You don't know a damn thing so maybe just ... try ... to see things in a glass half full manner. Maybe?

This whole "Packers were in the NFC Championship Game" mantra is stupid. This dude sums it up very well.

As for trading Aaron Rodgers. Shut up. It won't happen until Jordan Love beats out Aaron Rodgers and we all know that won't happen for at least 2 maybe 3 seasons at best. Love was a first round pick and therefore I believe we can exercise a 5th year option if the team feels necessary.

NOW GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!!!
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

Those who are freaking out over who wasn't picked or even who was picked ... you didn't scout anyone. You didn't view all-22 film of every Packers game and take notes. You don't know a damn thing so maybe just ... try ... to see things in a glass half full manner. Maybe?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I didn’t do any scouting. But I’ve listened to what the experts have said. I don’t have a problem with the players individually that we picked on day 2. I’m just not sure the value was correct. And all I’ve heard all offseason was how historically deep this WR class was. And I saw how bad our receivers were last year. It’s probably our biggest need. And through 2 days of the draft, we haven’t picked a single one. I was excited to see which prospect we would end up with, but we haven’t ended up with any. Maybe we’ll draft one on day 3, but I’m tired of drafting receivers in late rounds and hoping for the best. This team can win now, I don’t care what anyone says. So yes, I have the right to complain about it if I want to. I’m looking at a glass half full in a sense, but i feel like we really reached for that TE (from what I read).

Hopefully all of these guys work out. Hopefully Devin Funchess was a good pick up.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
They could do it now, if Aaron renegotiated his contract. He might have to give money back tho.

There was a rumor recently that Aaron WANTED a trade. Did anyone else see Schector's allegedly "tweeted and deleted" tweet?

But i agree. They may have taken Love because things weren't right with Aaron, but he's not ready to play right now.

One thing Meerdinck pointed out on Blue 58 Podcast was thst he does not believe Aaron wants to play until 40. Either way, Aaron's tenure might be closer to done than fans might know.

Beliw is Schector's allegedly deleted tweet. It's probably bullshit. Right?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Beliw is Schector's allegedly deleted tweet.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Where?🤔

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.