beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

But by constantly following Jones around and tipping off what kind of coverage you're in, you've also revealed your hand.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Yes, that is why there are a ton of motions in this offense.

GB can just run at the vacated LB spot/get a mismatch with the DBs or just go completely opposite of wherever Jones went and play off the misdirection. By assuming that Jones moving around means he's being thrown to and you can neglect Dillons receiving, you've just left yourself exposed to GB simply throwing to Dillon.

There is no extra vacated spot... there is no assuming in this...

The defense is simply making an adjustment that they're used to covering extra WRs and have packages planed for it, while they might not for 2 RBs... the easy solution is to figure out which RB is more like a WR on the field and treat him as such.

It's literally no different than the other defenses, except you label Jones as a WR while Dillion is in...

The only complexity that comes with that, is when your labeled RB (Dillion), doesn't stay in the backfield pre-snap. Then you have to make the decision to switch your defensive call, or the more common, have your non-cover LB go cover him and have your you cover LB play the light RB in the backfield.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Actually every rule has it's exception, and Barry Sanders (in his prime) is the exception to that rule, you just took it one step too far...

Also at the same point, good RBs can over come more mistakes by the blocking, or counter a good defensive move. Dillion doesn't have great quickness, but does he have any other weaknesses? He runs a faster 40 time than Jones... he's physical and can wear teams out, reads his blocking pretty well.

Originally Posted by: beast 

beast you missed my smart ass point. Using Barry was not a mistake it was intentional. I could have also used Walter Payton. He too ha some weak OLs, got hit in the backfield and yet still managed to gain 8 yards.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

One interesting take that was thrown out on Twitter: with Dillon, you can line Jones up all over and not lose the threat of running the ball.

You can also do the same with Jamal Williams.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

One interesting take that was thrown out on Twitter: with Dillon, you can line Jones up all over and not lose the threat of running the ball.

What I like about this is you can have both Jones and Dillon in the backfield. Jones is a receiving threat. He can run those wheel routes and what LB is gonna be able to hang with him? You gonna put a Safety on him? Fine, that opens up the middle of the field then.

I'm excited to see how this kid pans out.
UserPostedImage
porky88
4 years ago

Nerd let me let you in on a secret, the run game failures are tied directly to the blocking or the lack thereof of the offensive line. You could have Barry Sanders in the backfield if the line doesn't open a hole it ain't gonna happen.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't know... Barry Sanders didn't run behind much of an OL. I think he made his own holes. 😉
porky88
4 years ago
My immediate reaction to the pick was indifference, in large part because RB isn't much of a need. I will say we saw Denzel Mims go a couple of picks ahead of the Packers, which did frustrate me.

Again, though, I will backup the logic behind the pick. Aaron Jones is a free agent this year. He's probably not going to resign with the Packers because they have higher priorities. I'm not much of a Jamaal Williams fan, either. I think he's a backup. If you believe Dillon is a long-term starter, then I understand the pick. In fact, it's practical. One year from now I don't want to enter the draft with Dexter Williams as my primary RB, with Jones and Williams playing on other teams.

Would this have been my pick? No, it would not have been. I would have taken Bryan Edwards from South Carolina (and maybe even traded back to regain a pick).

Nevertheless, I understand the logic behind the selection. It makes sense to shore up the RB position for the future, especially with uncertainty moving into 2021 and a coach that values running the football.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

I don't know... Barry Sanders didn't run behind much of an OL. I think he made his own holes. 😉

Originally Posted by: porky88 

yes I know. See my previous post.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (3h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.