Discussion Board
go.pack.go.
2020-03-24T23:10:04Z
We’re expected to sign Funchess. This excites me. At 6’4”, he provides a big body on the perimeter for Rodgers. He’s also proven that he can be successful in the league. Missed last year with collarbone injury.
Zero2Cool
2020-03-24T23:12:36Z
Nonstopdrivel
2020-03-24T23:20:44Z
Only 25 years of age and already a sixth-year veteran. That's pretty impressive.
Cheesey
2020-03-24T23:33:27Z
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-03-25T02:28:34Z
Zach Kruse or Packerswire wrote
Quote:

Difficult to see how WR Devin Funchess fills need for Packers

Receivers starting flying off the shelves in free agency, so the Green Bay Packers did some panic shopping Tuesday.

The team agreed to terms with free agent receiver Devin Funchess.

It’s difficult to see how Funchess fills a need in Green Bay, even for the receiver-needy Packers. He has good size (6-4, 225), but the Packers depth chart at receiver is already littered with big bodies. He’s not measurably fast or athletic. He has struggled to separate from man-to-man coverage and catch the football throughout his NFL career. True consistency for Funchess has remained elusive.

Between 2015 and 2018, only two receivers in the NFL with more than 300 total targets caught a lower percentage of those targets than the 51.8 percent Funchess caught with the Carolina Panthers.

Not surprisingly, the Panthers moved on after his rookie contract expired. The Indianapolis Colts did the same after Funchess broke his collarbone in Week 1 and missed the rest of the 2019 season.

The Packers are taking a low-risk flier on a veteran who played in one game last season. Best case scenario, he emerges as a legit contributor for the Packers passing offense. Worst case, he’s a bust and he’s cut during camp. As is often the case, he’ll probably wind up somewhere in between. And as long as his addition doesn’t impact what the Packers are planning to do in the draft, there should be no long-term consequences of signing him, even if he’s no good come August.

It’s just an underwhelming signing. To be fair, the free-agent class of pass-catchers was nothing if not underwhelming. The Packers decided against paying good money in the receiver and tight end market and settled on a former second-round pick at little cost to add to the competition. To that end, it’s hard to argue against the thinking.

But now the Packers must nail the draft, both at receiver and likely at tight end. GM Brian Gutekunst must find a complementary piece (or two?) for Davante Adams and Allen Lazard, who are still the two best receivers on the roster. The offense needs a quick playmaker capable of getting open on his own. And possibly even a legit vertical threat if Marquez Valdes-Scantling can’t rebound.

Funchess is a known name, but his first five seasons suggest he’s a middling talent who won’t drastically the team’s biggest need on offense. The Packers need to do more at receiver. They likely will.

go.pack.go.
2020-03-25T02:53:35Z
He certainly can’t be any worse than Allison, MVS, or Kumerow. Instant upgrade simply because our receiving group sucks.
Mucky Tundra
2020-03-25T02:58:58Z
I really like the way Gute went about FA this year. After spending big last year he goes for low cost, high reward signings this year and gives the team the flexibility to pick how they want in the draft.
beast
2020-03-25T06:00:15Z
Price determines if this is a good or bad risk... but I disagree with the article that this was a panic move,as often when the FA system gets backed up when the highest rated player left takes their time to choose and the market is waiting for one domino to fall and then many follow.

Teams seemed to be waiting for Robby Anderson to make a selection, and once he did, teams moved to their next option quickly.

Team likes big WRs, for the physical play, high pointing and blocking. He has the potential to be a very good #2 which is what we need,at least until the rookie we select in the draft get up to speed ... of course that might be harder for rookies this year if there is less training camp for some reason as some are speculating.
Zero2Cool
2020-03-25T11:56:40Z
I don't know how this could ever be called a panic move. If the draft had absolutely zero depth at WR, and the Packers gave a talent like Funchess $18 million per year ... MAYBE then it could be spoken in the same breathe as "panic".

I don't like how slow this guy is. That said, he's another huge target and hopefully the Packers make something out of him. I think the guy challenges Allen Lazard immediately for WR2.
isocleas2
2020-03-25T13:18:03Z
A good low cost move, I wonder if he'll strictly play WR or if he'll play some move TE like in college.
Cheesey
2020-03-25T16:54:00Z
Maybe being with a great QB like Rodgers will step up his game.
You have to keep in mind the QBs he played with.
Maybe the Packer brass see something in this guy that intrigues them.
Low cost move with possible dividends.
I like this kind of move.
And just because he signed doesn’t mean he’ll make the final 53.
The more guys you can look at, the better your chance is at finding a hidden gem.
Cheesey
2020-03-25T16:55:50Z
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

He certainly can’t be any worse than Allison, MVS, or Kumerow. Instant upgrade simply because our receiving group sucks.

I agree with Allison and MVS. But Kumerow? He was pretty clutch last year. Him and Lazard made some big plays.
yooperfan
2020-03-25T18:44:53Z
Funchess is a guy I wanted when he came out of Michigan.
I was looking at him as a tight end at that time.
Going to be interesting to see how he pans out.
go.pack.go.
2020-03-25T18:54:12Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree with Allison and MVS. But Kumerow? He was pretty clutch last year. Him and Lazard made some big plays.

Kumerow had 12 catches. I agree that he showed flashes of being a good receiver. However, with such a weak receiving core, having only 12 receptions says a lot. I was hoping for much bigger things from him. I don’t want to give up on him yet, but my hopes aren’t very high either.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-03-25T19:10:47Z
He will be fine. He's a solid #2 receiver. For the most part he's an average player that has a few games where he is above average. GB wasn't looking for a DAdams player. They were looking for someone who can step up and be the 2nd option. If MVS, Kumerow or Lazard is able to take the step to a consistent #2 and bumps Funchess down to the WR3 I don't have a problem with that either. GB will be drafting a WR or two and the rookie could be in the mix as well. That too is good news.
Zero2Cool
2020-03-25T19:13:55Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

He will be fine. He's a solid #2 receiver. For the most part he's an average player that has a few games where he is above average. GB wasn't looking for a DAdams player. They were looking for someone who can step up and be the 2nd option. If MVS, Kumerow or Lazard is able to take the step to a consistent #2 and bumps Funchess down to the WR3 I don't have a problem with that either. GB will be drafting a WR or two and the rookie could be in the mix as well. That too is good news.

I don't know what a DAdams player is, but I'm sure you can educate us less informed folks!

I'll wait! (quarantine that!)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-03-25T20:16:09Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't know what a DAdams player is, but I'm sure you can educate us less informed folks!

I'll wait! (quarantine that!)

🤷‍♂️

DAdams TYPE of a player. I have said before I can't type and talk on the phone at the same time.

PS: Go ride your bike.
Zero2Cool
2020-03-25T20:25:59Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

🤷‍♂️

DAdams TYPE of a player. I have said before I can't type and talk on the phone at the same time.

PS: Go ride your bike.

What is a DAdams TYPE of player? I cannot find anything in the Websters Dictionary for DAdams.

Gonna go ride my bike now ...
dhazer
2020-03-25T23:21:27Z
Well after doing a little reading about him I wonder if they will use him at TE. The book on him is that he is really good in the slot because of mismatches but not very good on the outside. He caught all 55 targets from the slot but had 23 drops from the outside. So I would take a wild guess and see him in the slot or TE alot. SO we still need that #2 unless Lazard is going to be our deep threat.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-03-25T23:33:08Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What is a DAdams TYPE of player? I cannot find anything in the Websters Dictionary for DAdams.

Gonna go ride my bike now ...

🤷‍♂️

I have said I can't type and talk on the phone at the same time. I guess I was trying to say a DAdams type of player.
beast
2020-03-26T00:19:06Z
Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Well after doing a little reading about him I wonder if they will use him at TE. The book on him is that he is really good in the slot because of mismatches but not very good on the outside. He caught all 55 targets from the slot but had 23 drops from the outside. So I would take a wild guess and see him in the slot or TE alot. SO we still need that #2 unless Lazard is going to be our deep threat.

This system is actually quite good for having a play maker in the slot.

Lazard seemed like he was at his best going vertical, no he's not fast, the less cuts he has to make, usually the better, and he really knows how to use his body to box a defender out, even down field and use his size for an advantage.