KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago

Working to eliminate the spread of a virus with a much higher mortality rate than the more widespread flu virus makes people pansies? Ok....

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

To what lengths...at what costs....to what limits....and what ends?

Platitudes don't solve problems...you will have more people die in automobile accidents this month than will be killed by the coronavirus in total...do we tell everyone to stop driving? No, we put safety measure on cars and trucks, enforce laws, and carry on.

Yes, prudent steps should be taken:
[list]
  • limit crowd size events
  • testing
  • isolation
  • more limited contacts
  • hand washing
  • etc[/list]However, the death rate for people under 30 is less than .02%. Why not play the NCAA tournament sans fans? Test the players every day...if someone has it isolate him.
  • Brian Bulaga had the flu for the Packer playoff game....did they cancel the game?I fully understand that this virus is worse, but saner heads should prevail and we need balance in response.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    Cheesey
    4 years ago
    That’s what is missing with this. Balance.
    The wide spread panic doesn’t help.
    In fact, it may hurt. Being out yesterday, the stores were PACKED. This, during the day, when normally there would be much smaller crowds in the stores.
    Making the spread of illness that much higher.
    UserPostedImage
    Porforis
    4 years ago

However, the death rate for people under 30 is less than .02%. Why not play the NCAA tournament sans fans? Test the players every day...if someone has it isolate him.

Brian Bulaga had the flu for the Packer playoff game....did they cancel the game?

I fully understand that this virus is worse, but saner heads should prevail and we need balance in response.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I'd only respond by pointing you back to this comment  I made earlier. Especially the first point. I think you're completely misunderstanding the objective behind these actions, and the inherent difference between COVID-19 and the flu insofar as community transmission goes.
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    4 years ago

I'd only respond by pointing you back to this comment  I made earlier. Especially the first point. I think you're completely misunderstanding the objective behind these actions, and the inherent difference between COVID-19 and the flu insofar as community transmission goes.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Nay nay...I complete understand the point your point....you are completely misunderstanding my point, i.e. THERE IS AN OVER REACTION:
    • Hoarding toilet paper is an over re-action
    • NOT having the players play the games is nutty. Keep the stands empty...the possibility of increased spread by having 32 healthy adolescents play basketball for a TV audience is infinitesimal.
    • Vietnam and China are at least back to 80% capacity (not being reported on).
    This thing, albeit serious to the elderly with pre-existing health issues, is a bump in the road. Porforis, I passionately posit that we are a pansified, panic pushing populace.

Cheesey
    4 years ago
    That’s the problem with this. It’s the over reaction from this that is hurting.
    Like I said, stores packed more then normal, which increases the possible passing of the virus more then if people used common sense.
    UserPostedImage
    Porforis
    4 years ago

Nay nay...I complete understand the point your point....you are completely misunderstanding my point, i.e. THERE IS AN OVER REACTION:[list]

• Hoarding toilet paper is an over re-action
  • NOT having the players play the games is nutty. Keep the stands empty...the possibility of increased spread by having 32 healthy adolescents play basketball for a TV audience is infinitesimal.
  • Vietnam and China are at least back to 80% capacity (not being reported on).[/list]This thing, albeit serious to the elderly with pre-existing health issues, is a bump in the road.
  • Porforis, I passionately posit that we are a pansified, panic pushing populace.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I appreciate astute alteration always.

I'm not talking about hoarding toilet paper. That's of course nutty but is an incredibly common thing anytime there's a real/perceived thread of a pandemic, natural disaster, etc. It's (dumb) human psychology. Please people, don't hoard supplies.

My point and the reason why I pointed back to my previous post is that These things are not being shut down because people are afraid of players or coaches getting sick from eachother during the games. We've already got multiple players sick, that's no biggie for the most part as you said, because they're young and healthy (and happen to have world class medical care at their disposal). The issue is, them spreading this to others that may not be young and healthy.

The NCAA, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS are not just throwing away tens, hundreds of millions or maybe even billions of dollars because they're afraid a few players might get sick or because they're all collectively going into a senseless panic.

An additional point, regarding the NCAA and sports in general, you're severely underestimating how many people are involved in making a game happen, with or without a crowd. Even if you're restricting things to an absolute skeleton crew with no fans present, you need...

Players
    Coaching staffs
    Training staff
    Medical staff
    Referees
    Minimal facilities staff
    Security
    Camera crews

That's just at the game. How many additional people are these players and staff interacting with between flights, buses, hotels, food establishments/catering? Players don't just magically show up at a game and then head home. Players and staff are interacting with a TON of people over the course of getting to and from games, not to mention practices and training required to make those games happen.

This thing, albeit serious to the elderly with pre-existing health issues, is a bump in the road.

This is a pretty unfortunate statement and will age extremely poorly if any of us have elderly relatives or friends die. Whoops, guess it's just a bump in the road.

Also keep in mind that this is something running concurrently to influenza, not in place of. The flu kills 61,000 annually. It's still way too early to tell what the actual death rate will be (especially in America where it's next to impossible to even get tested), but based on current estimates of 0.5%-1%, you're looking at 305,000 - 610,000 additional deaths. That's not a bump in the road.
    Zero2Cool
    4 years ago

These things are not being shut down because people are afraid of players or coaches getting sick from eachother during the games.

Yes, that is exactly why events are being postponed and/or cancelled. It's to mitigate the risk of the virus spreading. You think Italy is on a nationwide lock-down because they want everyone to watch Netflix or something?

(disclaimer: the part quoted was bold and stuck out so I might be missing the greater context here)

At work, they are discussing possibilities of everyone working from home. Asking how we are going to keep business running and support from home. Travel has already been banned. Personal travel has to be notified to our Corporate lawyer prior to departing for awareness.

That being said, I expect you all to be procuring a plethora of amazing PackersHome content and stop over and under reacting to the virus. Wash your hands. Wash your butts. Post on PackersHome. IN THAT ORDER. GO!!!
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    4 years ago

I appreciate astute alteration always.

Nicely played

KRK said: This thing, albeit serious to the elderly with pre-existing health issues, is a bump in the road.
    This is a pretty unfortunate statement and will age extremely poorly if any of us have elderly relatives or friends die. Whoops, guess it's just a bump in the road.

Also keep in mind that this is something running concurrently to influenza, not in place of. The flu kills 61,000 annually. It's still way too early to tell what the actual death rate will be (especially in America where it's next to impossible to even get tested), but based on current estimates of 0.5%-1%, you're looking at 305,000 - 610,000 additional deaths. That's not a bump in the road.

Any death is sad...I am sure there will be people I know who die from it. I will feel sad for their loss. But I will keep in perspective. I simply don't remember this level of hysteria with Swine flu.

If I want to get upset over death, I will simply think of the over million abortions performed per year. Those deaths are not a bump in the road.

I just get tired of selective hysteria, selective rage, selective memory, not to mention selective prosecution....I am beginning to ramble....sorry.

I stand by my statements.

KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    4 years ago

I expect you all to be procuring a plethora of amazing PackersHome content and stop over and under reacting to the virus. Wash your hands. Wash your butts. Post on PackersHome. IN THAT ORDER. GO!!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

awesome alliteration.

On a more practical note, especially for Cheesey, if you are short of toilet paper, stop at the book store and pick up:[list]
  • Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton; or,
  • Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama[/list]both are several hundred pages perfect for your use.

• In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    Cheesey
    4 years ago

awesome alliteration.

On a more practical note, especially for Cheesey, if you are short of toilet paper, stop at the book store and pick up:[list]

• Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton; or,
  • Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama[/list]both are several hundred pages perfect for your use.
  • Originally Posted by: KRK 

I REFUSE to do that. I have a feeling that would be wiping your butt with paper that already had enough SH&T on it!🤪
    UserPostedImage