yooperfan
4 years ago

No. Too many injuries and we have too many other needs. I don’t see him making it to us at our first pick, much less one of our later round picks.

I also think we should wait 3 or so more years before we draft Rodgers’ replacement.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

I just don't have a lot of faith that Rodgers will be able to play at a high level for 3 more years.
It seems that injury and age are running him down.
He's still better than average but his performance this year is not.
Just my gut feeling.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
NO, unless it is round 3 or later. he will be gone by then
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

you better go all in if you want a super bowl championship.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Who's to say that going all in doesn't entail drafting a potential franchise quarterback if the opportunity presents itself? The Packers are one injury away at having no chance at a Super Bowl. It sure would be nice to finally have a season in which we didn't have to give up all hope if the starting quarterback goes down.

Should Green Bay trade up to grab a quarterback early? Definitely not. Should they hesitate to pull the trigger if a talented prospect falls to them? I don't think so.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Who's to say that going all in doesn't entail drafting a potential franchise quarterback if the opportunity presents itself? The Packers are one injury away at having no chance at a Super Bowl. It sure would be nice to finally have a season in which we didn't have to give up all hope if the starting quarterback goes down.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Hell, imagine all the talent that could be put around a rising QB with saving all this cash???

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago

The league has gone the way of being pass happy? It was like that 15 years ago too. The difference is the added rules for protecting a QB.

I'm not sure how using a 3rd round pick on a QB sets us back too far.

I wouldn't advocate trading into the top 10 to grab a QB.

I can't imagine the Packers using a 1st round pick on any of the QB's this season unless Joe Burrows (or MAYBE Justin Herbert) drops to 32nd.

I sure as hell am not going to just sand bag it because "chances of getting 3rd Hall of Fame QB are slim". Forget that! The past is written, the future is not! LET'S GET IT!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sure. Use a 3rd round pick if you think he's the guy. But I thought we were talking about tua, who will be gone in the first half the 1st, if not right away....
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

Sure. Use a 3rd round pick if you think he's the guy. But I thought we were talking about tua, who will be gone in the first half the 1st, if not right away....

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

That’s exactly my point. 0% chance of us drafting Tua in the 3rd round at our pick.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago

Should Green Bay trade up to grab a quarterback early? Definitely not. Should they hesitate to pull the trigger if a talented prospect falls to them? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I think just about every NFL team feels that way. Except for the 2017 Eagles.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago

That’s exactly my point. 0% chance of us drafting Tua in the 3rd round at our pick.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Yeah. I mean let's be honest here. If the 1st rated QB is sitting there in the late first, you take him. If the 3rd rated QB is sitting there in the late 3rd you take him. But we can say the same thing for WR, DE, DT, TE, S, CB, ILB, OT, G, pretty much any position other than punter or kicker, this sort of logic is pretty sound. Now, is it realistic that the top rated QB will make to the end of the 1st round? Or the 3rd to the end of the 3rd round? Recent history tells us: hell no, some qb needy team will trade up to the first half of the first round to grab these guys.

Now, I don't know enough about the college players to say who is the #1/2/3 QB in the draft, so I'll go with Walter Football's ranking  which has Tua at #3.. Let's look at what position the 3rd QB was selected over the last decade:
2019: 15
2018: 7
2017: 12
2016: 26
2015: 75
2014: 32
2013: 73
2012: 8
2011: 10
2010: 48

That's an average position of #31 for the 3rd QB taken, in other words, they don't generally make it out of the first round. So, if Tua is sitting there at the end of the 3rd, absolutely take him. But he likely won't be, unless the argument is that he's maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in the draft - or if his injury problems are a big concern or something like that (in which case even in the 3rd it may not be a slam dunk).

With the way rookie contracts are structured now, I think the days of grabbing the #2 or #3 QB in the draft (rated going in, not with hindsight) in the back end of the 1st round are over, let alone in the late 2nd/3rd. There's usually plenty of teams willing to drop a 1st (or more, see: Bears) on a guy they think is going to be pretty good. There's enough teams that don't want to make an Aaron Rodgers / Russell Wilson type mistake, one of them will in all likelihood grab Tua well before the third.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Hell, imagine all the talent that could be put around a rising QB with saving all this cash???

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As usual, I can't tell if you're being ironic. Green Bay is only paying Aaron Rodgers about $7.2 million in cash this year, although his cap hit and dead cap certainly combine for an eye-watering sum.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago
He's not gonna get to the Packers 2nd round pick... unless he has major I jury concerns where he might be off our board completely. 1st or pass. If anything, I'll do a cheap one or two year deal with Marcus Mariota, if LaFleur liked him, when they worked together.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (15h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.