beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

• Turner will see most of the action at right tackle...if effective, that will be his spot next year, and Bulaga will be history.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

• We're still just trying to kick Bulaga out the door for just anybody? STILL!

Turner is basically playing at Lane Taylor's level (slightly better, but not that much of an improvement)... and we want him as the long term starting RT? No THANKS! ... unless some how he is a lot better at OT than OG, but that's a true rarity!
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    4 years ago
    Beast Beckoned:

We're still just trying to kick Bulaga out the door for just anybody? STILL!

Turner is basically playing at Lane Taylor's level (slightly better, but not that much of an improvement)... and we want him as the long term starting RT? No THANKS! ... unless some how he is a lot better at OT than OG, but that's a true rarity!

First, IMO Turner is playing much higher than Taylor's level.
    Second, I didn't say he SHOULD BE the replacement, I said, qualified with if he performs well, he WILL be the replacement.
    Third, I would prefer to use Bulaga's and Graham's money for much needed OL upgrades and depth.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    beast
    • beast
    4 years ago

Beast Beckoned:First, IMO Turner is playing much higher than Taylor's level.
    Second, I didn't say he SHOULD BE the replacement, I said, qualified with if he performs well, he WILL be the replacement.
    Third, I would prefer to use Bulaga's and Graham's money for much needed OL upgrades and depth.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

First, Turner is playing slightly better than Taylor... there really hasn't been a big difference between the two... Jenkins is clearly better than both.

Third, when healthy Bulaga is great, and hasn't been getting paid that much, his money isn't going to get you an upgrade.

Meanwhile Linsley is in line for $8+ million next year... that money might get you an upgrade.

UserPostedImage
    yooperfan
    4 years ago

First, Turner is playing slightly better than Taylor... there really hasn't been a big difference between the two... Jenkins is clearly better than both.

Third, when healthy Bulaga is great, and hasn't been getting paid that much, his money isn't going to get you an upgrade.

Meanwhile Linsley is in line for $8+ million next year... that money might get you an upgrade.

Originally Posted by: beast 

In my eyes, Bulaga has never been great, he's been adequate.
    He's been inconsistent, good in some games and a turnstile in others.
    I believe it's time to move on from him.
    The big problem right now is that there is nobody on this roster that is better than just adequate.

beast
    • beast
    4 years ago

In my eyes, Bulaga has never been great, he's been adequate.
    He's been inconsistent, good in some games and a turnstile in others.
    I believe it's time to move on from him.
    The big problem right now is that there is nobody on this roster that is better than just adequate.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

It's quite sad that Packers fans have been so spoiled... that when they see some of the best in the NFL, they think said player is just adequate... Bulaga has consistently graded out as one of the best pass blocking RT in the NFL as well as one of the best overall RT ...

Yet he's just adequate because we're spoiled as hell and don't have a clue how bad some other teams have had it...

Yeah, maybe someday we'll upgrade from these adequate OTs and QBs and actually go back to the winning ways of the 70s and 80s, instead of being just adequate...
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    4 years ago

It's quite sad that Packers fans have been so spoiled... that when they see some of the best in the NFL, they think said player is just adequate... Bulaga has consistently graded out as one of the best pass blocking RT in the NFL as well as one of the best overall RT ...

Yet he's just adequate because we're spoiled as hell and don't have a clue how bad some other teams have had it...

Yeah, maybe someday we'll upgrade from these adequate OTs and QBs and actually go back to the winning ways of the 70s and 80s, instead of being just adequate...

Who has graded Bryan Bulaga as one of the best pass blocking RT in the NFL? I'm not disagreeing or doubting, but ProFootballFocus has Bulaga very low (around 30th) this season for Pass Blocking and 18th overall at Tackle.

PFF Grades for Bulaga's career

2010 63.7
    2011 81.2
    2012 62.9
    2013 --
    2014 74.4
    2015 68.4
    2016 78.1
    2017 61.4
    2018 75
    2019 72.4
    UserPostedImage
    Cheesey
    4 years ago
    Bulaga is better then anyone else we have.
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    • beast
    4 years ago

Who has graded Bryan Bulaga as one of the best pass blocking RT in the NFL? I'm not disagreeing or doubting, but ProFootballFocus has Bulaga very low (around 30th) this season for Pass Blocking and 18th overall at Tackle.

PFF Grades for Bulaga's career

2010 63.7
    2011 81.2
    2012 62.9
    2013 --
    2014 74.4
    2015 68.4
    2016 78.1
    2017 61.4
    2018 75
    2019 72.4

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Interesting, how you call out my post, and then suddenly this post become it's own thread... hmm I wonder whom has that power... also, the grades don't tell you how it compares to the rest of the league...

Also interesting is that, with the subject being pass blocking grades, you didn't use the pass blocking grades, instead choosing the overall grades instead which gets away from the subject of pass blocking... and you're usually the one calling out others for not staying on subject.

So what are the pass blocking grades and how to relate to others?

Having just turned 30 a few months back, Bulaga is coming off of a very good 2018 season. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Bulaga finished the season with a pass-blocking grade of 84.1 which ranked as the sixth-best season by a tackle since PFF started recording.

packerstalk.com  wrote:

And that's while every defense knowing we're going to pass the ball, because the Packers lead the NFL in pass plays percentage with 67.54%... so they knew he was pass blocking, and still had one of the best pass blocking grades. I feel like he's consistently put up some of the best pass blocking grades, especially for RTs.

The point of my original post is that we fans seem to keep trying to get Bulaga out of the RT spot... fans didn't care about resigning him, because we they just had to resign Cobb, then try to get Spriggs or anyone 6'5" in over Bulaga... the guy just keeps doing a very good job in pass blocking, and we just keep saying he's history, not giving him any credit for the great job he's done. Mark Tausher had a lot more respect than Bulaga... we're spoiled at QB and OT positions and have been for years...

UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    4 years ago

Interesting, how you call out my post, and then suddenly this post become it's own thread... hmm I wonder whom has that power... also, the grades don't tell you how it compares to the rest of the league...

I was not calling your post out. Should there be more posts pulled into this one that are about Bulaga in the Game Day thread that I missed? I pulled this out because I think it's a good topic, not to call you out or whatever defensive perception you have.

Also interesting is that, with the subject being pass blocking grades, you didn't use the pass blocking grades, instead choosing the overall grades instead which gets away from the subject of pass blocking... and you're usually the one calling out others for not staying on subject.

Another defensive retort. I went with the grades I could find quickly (working on finishing the new site layout). I figured since you said he has graded out so well that you'd have them handy. I was just trying to prove Bulaga is better than we think. I'm not sure the overall grades (which you also alluded to yourself) supported that.

I am staying on subject. This is about Bryan Bulaga, right? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I thought you brought up a good point about Bulaga being (this is my assumption) under appreciated by fans. I agree. Hell, I'm one of them.

Edit, I think I found it under Premium Stats 2.0 on PFF.

UserPostedImage
    beast
    • beast
    4 years ago

I pulled this out because I think it's a good topic, not to call you out or whatever defensive perception you have.

Sorry for my wrong assumption, I knew it was highlighted by being made into it's own thread... and not used to it being for a good topic.

To answer the thread question, no I don't think we are actually trying to kick Bulaga out... but fans have seemed to be real apathetic about Bulaga in FA over the years... and have been talking about moving him to OG for what seems like forever! ... even putting Spriggs there, because Spriggs is 6'5" and Bulaga isn't... using injuries as reasoning (despite Spriggs being even more injury prone than Bulaga was).

Another defensive retort. I went with the grades I could find quickly (working on finishing the new site layout). I figured since you said he has graded out so well that you'd have them handy. I was just trying to prove Bulaga is better than we think. I'm not sure the overall grades (which you also alluded to yourself) supported that.

Thank you for working on the site as always. No, I don't have any grades hand, I just know from memory that Bulaga has usually graded well up there with the LTs in pass blocking grading, and that the Packers usually have a lot more passes than runs.

And an OTs main responsibility is to pass block and protect the franchise QB (especially since Mike McCarthy scheme was all about that QB holding onto the ball long enough for a WR to come open). And Bulaga's pass blocking was top notch for a RT.

Edit, I think I found it under Premium Stats 2.0 on PFF.

Yes! ... Bulaga has graded in the green in pass blocking almost every single year, and dark green about 50% of the time. His run blocking has hurt, but again, Mike McCarthy scheme is about extending the pass plays and protecting your QB and OTs main job is pass blocking.

And that scheme change, and change of focus of what's important, might explain why Bulaga run blocking has suddenly improved to the second best of his career... as this scheme focuses much more on getting the running game going.

In 2018 Packers were #1 in pass percentage with 67.54% (one of three teams over 64.5)
    In 2019 Packers are #17 in pass percentage with 60.26%

UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
    beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
    beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
    beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
    Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
    beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
    dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
    beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.