Jakest3r
15 years ago

After three straight years of a steady climb, the Packers are tumbling back down the mountain.

One could surmise theyve just gotten the bad breaks in a lot of close games and have come out on the short end and theyre a better team than their 5-7 record indicates.

But that would be untrue. Bad teams, or pedestrian teams, lose close games.

If it happened once, or perhaps twice, then you could possibly consider it an aberration. But when it has happened four times, as is the case with the Packers as four of their seven losses have come by four points or less, then we have a problem.

So what do they do to fix it?

Perhaps an attitude adjustment would be the answer. Not from the coaching staff or players -- though that certainly wouldnt hurt -- but from the general manager.

Ted Thompson has done a good job with the draft to shore up a team that went 4-12 in his first season, then moved to 8-8 and then last years splendid 13-3 group.

The Packers have drafted a league-high 43 players since 2005, and they have served their purpose of adding quality and depth. It also has kept them young.

But theyre still coming up a little bit short.

They need to add a little more leadership on the team, a little more experience and some proven talent.

Thats were Thompsons two least favorite words enter into play: Free agency.

Thompson has often referred to that offseason exercise as "dangerous waters," and he would be correct in that assessment. But they are waters that, when fished properly, can reap trophy catches.

In his four years in Green Bay, Thompson has made only one significant unrestricted free-agent signing, cornerback Charles Woodson, and only one good signing, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

He also signed safety Marquand Manuel, but it didnt impair his budget to get him, and he quickly cut ties when it became clear he would not measure up.

Woodson has been a trophy catch.

He has helped make the Packers secondary one of the better groups in the league.

He has made a significant difference to the overall success of the team.

Thompson needs to find a couple more like him, and this offseason may be his best chance to snare some of that talent.

Everyone, including all of China, knows the Packers desperately need help along the defensive line.

They need someone who can rush the passer and give Aaron Kampman some much-needed help.

Julius Peppers would certainly look nice in a Packers uniform. That also would preclude him from trying to dislodge quarterback Aaron Rodgers head from his body, as he did last week.

Albert Haynesworth may also be on the market and certainly would be of help.

There could also be some decent linebackers like Eric Barton of the Jets or Jonathan Vilma of the Saints.

There may be a large group of offensive linemen available, like the Cowboys Marc Colombo or the Chargers Mike Goff or the Panthers Jordan Gross.

The bottom line is this upcoming free-agent class could have more than its share of players who can make a meaningful difference.

If the Packers are to get where they want to go, its time for Thompson to carefully wade into the waters and see what he can catch.

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton

Mike Woods column wrote:

blank
dhazer
15 years ago
With all the cap space we have why not go after both Peppers and Haynesworth, wouldn't that be an awesome front line which would make our lbs and secondary look that much better.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
doddpower
15 years ago
I'm not even sure Haynesworth is going to be a free agent or not. The Titans may decide to pay him. However, if he is available, you HAVE to sign him.

Have some balls Ted. Think of how much he would improve our defense. Kampman, Haynesworth, Pickett, and Jenkings? We go from having a pathetic defensive lines to one of the better units in the league. Also, the play of Jolly, Harrell, and Cole would likely improve since they would be more fresh.

Pass rush would be improved, linebacker play would be better, and of course secondary play would be better.

If possible, I think he has to go for it.
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
Let's take Mike Goff. He's a player.
This is a placeholder
JNelson87
15 years ago
Every year I think Ted will make a big move in FA and land us a legit player.. he never does though. This year he signed Chillar, that's it. He's been good but he's obviously not the difference maker we could get if Ted Thompson had some balls and signed a few guys. I don't think this off season will be any different.. if anything we'll sign a guy like Robaire Smith from the Browns or Ebenezer Ekuban.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
TT tried to make some moves, but they didn't work out.
Sometimes it's not his fault.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
15 years ago
This'll be a good thread. I can see it now.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I totally agree with the writer. The least he can do is sign Gross and maybe move him to Guard.

One of those two D-lineman would be great, but I don't see Ted Thompson just giving away millions to get them... although it worked wonders when we got Reggie. He should look at that and sign Peppers. They're somewhat comparable, although no one playing now even comes close to Reggie.

Both do have to get into the FA pool though. Like said before, I asume the Titans will sign Haynesworth to a long-term deal and Peppers, although more likely to become a FA, could just resign aswell ofcourse.
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

With all the cap space we have why not go after both Peppers and Haynesworth, wouldn't that be an awesome front line which would make our lbs and secondary look that much better.

"dhazer" wrote:

Why not? I'll give you a few reasons.

Greg Jennings
Aaron Kampman
Nick Collins
Daryn Colledge
Jason Spitz
Johnny Jolly
Chad Clifton
Mark Tauscher
Will Blackmon
Ryan Pickett

All of these guys have contracts ending after this year or next. Most of them next year. And that's not all of them. Some of these guys can go, but some of them need to be extended.

There's also a lot of uncertainty with the state of the economy and what the new CBA is going to look like. All valid reasons to avoid a restrictive long-term contract for a player who may or may not perform well in your system.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago

There's also a lot of uncertainty with the state of the economy and what the new CBA is going to look like. All valid reasons to avoid a restrictive long-term contract for a player who may or may not perform well in your system.

"mattresell" wrote:

That to me, is exactly the reason we have been so dormant in the FA market... we have x dollars in cash reserves to compete with the signing bonus's that make up todays contracts.. so you trend lightly.. IE.. sign player you know first.. then wade into the pool.

I expect some activity, but any big names probably won't be coming to Green Bay.. CBA right now is too big of a concern.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (9h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (17h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.