wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The deceptive play call has not carried the same level of success for Green Bay over the past three seasons, even with Aaron Rodgers under center. Play action plays like the ones compiled below used to be a staple of a productive Green Bay Packers  offense. Unfortunately, that component of the offense has fallen on hard times in recent seasons.

According to Football Outsiders, the Packers ranked 16th in the league in the percentage of pass plays that began with a play-action fake to the running back in 2017. Granted, this statistic took snaps with both Aaron Rodgers  and Brett Hundley  into account and one quarterback was certainly more effective than the other. But as APC’s Paul Noonan pointed out in February,  the Packers only averaged 5.8 yards per play action pass, a mark only one other NFL team failed to surpass (Oakland, 4.4). Paul pointed out some legitimate reasons behind Green Bay’s low figure in that article.
However, some new stats released by FO in its 2018 Almanac  reveal an even more startling notion: that the success of the play action pass with Aaron Rodgers has rapidly faded since 2014.
In what FO described as the “peak Rodgers” years from 2009-2014, Aaron averaged 10.8 yards per play action attempt. That number not only ranked Rodgers first in the league in that category, but was well above the league average of 8.68 yards in that timeframe.
But from 2015-2017, the numbers painted a polar opposite trend. Rodgers’ average dipped to just 6.41 yards per play action attempt in comparison to the league average of 8.75 yards. That number ranked a jaw-dropping 40th in the NFL and placed Rodgers above just one other quarterback: his new backup DeShone Kizer .
Surely, the Packers need to improve upon those numbers in 2018. The question is how do they reverse them?
Well, for starters, a jump-started running game should make defenses second-guess an offense that has been predominantly pass-first oriented. Though FO stated that it has “never found a link between rushing success and play-action success,” Jamaal Williams  and Aaron Jones  should give defenses reason to believe the Packers may hand the ball off. The two backs also figure to help as capable check-down receivers on plays that may have otherwise resulted in incompletions. Having limited experience with the young stable of backs before injury, Rodgers should benefit greatly from a season with them at his disposal to aid the play action as both runners and receivers.
Losing Jordy Nelson, one of Rodgers’ main targets in the downfield play action game, may be a knock for the Packers. But adding rookie receivers with especially gifted size-speed combinations could make the vertical passing game dangerous as the season wears on if one of them emerges. In addition, Rodgers and Davante Adams  were an intriguing pass-catch duo last year until that tragic day in Minnesota. A fully healthy season from two players with chemistry could raise the Packers’ play action numbers, as history has shown the ability for them to connect on a long ball with frequency. Of course, Jimmy Graham  was signed in part to stretch the field from the tight end position and could contribute to a revitalization of the play action attack.
Head Coach Mike McCarthy and the Packers wanted to conduct a full-scale analysis of the offense in the offseason and there is little doubt that maximizing the often-deceptive play action pass was a part of that probe. The return of Joe Philbin, who was a part of three of Rodgers’ so-called peak seasons from 2009-2011 as Offensive Coordinator, may also be factor in the team’s success by getting back to the basics of what once made Green Bay so effective in that area. Philbin’s goal was to make McCarthy look like one of the NFL’s best playcallers and mixing up play action routes that have become fairly predictable could help in its own right.
Another category in which the Rodgers-led offense has slipped significantly since 2014 is passing plays of 16 or more yards. If the Packers can restore their potency from the play action, they should reap the benefits in this aspect and deepen the playbook in 2018.

Continue Reading @ Shawn Wagner 

Shawn Wagner wrote:

Having a decent running game has to help the play action pass. He's to a better year running the ball.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Having a decent running game has to help the play action pass. He's to a better year running the ball.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If they can put some fear into the defense that
a) a run play might actually be run more than 40% of the time
b) a RB can burst through their 2nd level and get more than 10 yards

Otherwise they're going to keep focusing on Rodgers, and probably rightfully so.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Bring back the enema draw!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago

If they can put some fear into the defense that
a) a run play might actually be run more than 40% of the time
b) a RB can burst through their 2nd level and get more than 10 yards

Otherwise they're going to keep focusing on Rodgers, and probably rightfully so.

Originally Posted by: beast 

That's basically what I meant when I said a "decent running game"
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
The short yardage run game has been pretty weak the last 5 years. Coincident with that weakness is the lack of a strong all around tight end. I had hoped Bennett would have been the answer there, but alas....

The bigger issue is the lack of OL push. Unless the offensive line, particularly the middle 3, establish an ability to be road graders, I don't think you will see an improvement. Our tackles simply aren't great run blockers, especially in regard to their ability to push the opposing DL back. As a consequence, opposing LB's and safeties can cheat a step or two.

Another factor is that most of our opposition justifiably feel that in the clutch, we are going to rely on AROD...and we probably should.

Unless and until we establish a proven ability to run the ball consistently well on 3rd down, don't expect much of an improvement here.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago

The short yardage run game has been pretty weak the last 5 years. Coincident with that weakness is the lack of a strong all around tight end. I had hoped Bennett would have been the answer there, but alas....

The bigger issue is the lack of OL push. Unless the offensive line, particularly the middle 3, establish an ability to be road graders, I don't think you will see an improvement. Our tackles simply aren't great run blockers, especially in regard to their ability to push the opposing DL back. As a consequence, opposing LB's and safeties can cheat a step or two.

Another factor is that most of our opposition justifiably feel that in the clutch, we are going to rely on AROD...and we probably should.

Unless and until we establish a proven ability to run the ball consistently well on 3rd down, don't expect much of an improvement here.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I thought Vic's recent post  did a very good job of explaining this.

Patrick from Ashland, WI
Help me with my obviously poor offensive line observation skills. The Packers certainly have had some troubles on short to go. Maybe all teams have. Do you think zone blocking isn't effective on short? If it isn't, can an offensive line just switch to drive blocking all of a sudden?

(VIC) Zone blocking is about moving laterally. In my opinion, zone blocking lines play too high to be effective drive blockers. They don't know how to drop their pads, sink their hips and drive. Height is an aid to the walling up technique in the zone-blocking scheme, but height is the enemy of low pad level. I find it interesting that as offensive lines have gotten taller, defensive lines have gotten shorter. Aaron Donald is a shade over six foot and he's the best defensive lineman in the game. Mike Daniels is six foot and he's the Packers' best defensive lineman. Zone blocking is an effective scheme for finding a way to run the ball and still concentrate on pass blocking, but it is not an effective means for moving the line of scrimmage and converting third and one. If I was the coach of a zone blocking team, I'd be looking for a Sam Cunningham back to go up over the top on third and one.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

I thought Vic's recent post  did a very good job of explaining this.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Pad level!
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago

Pad level!

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

WINNER!!!

I wondered who would be the first to note it.

👍
UserPostedImage
macbob
5 years ago
I think part of the issue is the amount of snaps from under center is a lot lower than just 6 years ago. Our running game is moving more toward draws out of the shotgun / pistol formation and less from a traditional running formation with the QB under center.

According to Football Outsiders, Packers ran 76% of their plays out of the shotgun in 2016, compared to 52% in 2011.

Shotgun Frequency 

Note, it would be interesting to know everyone's opinion on whether a fake draw from the shotgun is a play action pass.

I view play action as starting with what appears to be a running play and then throwing a pass.

A draw play is a play that starts with what appears to be a passing play and then running the ball.

A fake draw play then is a play that starts with what appears to be a passing play, then what appears to be a running play, and then throwing a pass.

I think the fake draw would be a less effective play action (if it's considered play action) than a traditional running formation under center, since the fake draw starts out looking like a pass play and ultimately ends up being a pass play.

Football Outsiders also had an interesting article on Rushing success impact on Play action success.

Rushing Success and Play Action Passing 
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Great points on the shotgun.

To specifically answer your question, I don't a fake draw from a pistol or shotgun would constitute a play action pass.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
beast (33m) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (33m) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.