Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2018-04-28T02:24:43Z
Oren Burks | Linebacker | Vanderbilt | 6'3" - 233 lbs.

Overview
In any other decade, Burks' lack of familiarity for any position for more than a year would force him into the "tweener" stack and he would be on his way. In today's game filled with hybrid players and sub-packages, Burks' background could make him more valuable. He needs to play with more consistency in diagnosing and tackling, but his athleticism, cover talent, and ability on special teams make him a developmental prospect with decent upside.

Strengths
  • Well-proportioned between upper and lower body
  • Has broad back and long arms
  • Leader on and off the field
  • Has experience at three different positions over the last three seasons
  • Fits as 4-3 WILL or 3-4 inside linebacker
  • Former safety with athletic ability to handle coverage duties at linebacker
  • Range and pursuit speed is above average
  • Possesses good lateral twitch
  • Has reactive athleticism to spring into adjacent gap as tackler
  • Plays with good toughness
  • Willing to take on pulling guards with good force
  • Continued to improve as season progressed
  • Has talent to become a core special-teamer

Weaknesses
  • Will make mistakes in diagnosing that pull him out of position
  • Still learning the position, but instincts may be average for a role as inside linebacker
  • Below average punching and playing off blockers
  • Gets engulfed and will need to become more capable in slipping or playing around blocks
  • Gets neutralized in the hole
  • Has to become more effective at imposing his will despite physical challenges
  • Consistency as a tackler is a concern
  • Doesn't flow with leverage and will overshoot the ball carrier
  • Needs to tackle with better positioning to finish what he starts

4.59 in 40 Yard Dash

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
Bigbyfan
2018-04-28T02:37:12Z
Glad the Packers are taking athletes. In this spot, Ted would've taken "a football guy" like Jake Ryan.
blank
isocleas2
2018-04-28T02:56:08Z
Sounds like a coverage backer similar to Jones, should eventually find a role on passing downs. Not sure how much of an edge rush he can provide.
TheKanataThrilla
2018-04-28T03:17:07Z
Don't mind the pick, just don't know why we traded up for him. Wondering if we were targeting Arden Key and got hooped.
Bigbyfan
2018-04-28T03:28:30Z
They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.
blank
Mucky Tundra
2018-04-28T06:06:09Z
So, do we finally have some speed and athleticism over the middle with this guy?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
2018-04-28T13:13:38Z
Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.

Its possible Key was the target but I'm not sure for a couple of reasons. First of all it seems to me that you trade up to take the guy you want not trade up just to move up and see who is still there. Unless the Raiders expected the Panthers to grab Key they would have no reason to feel the need to move up two spots. I suppose they could have just felt it was time to make the move just in case the Panthers wanted him or the value was too great that they feared another team would do exactly what we did.

Second, was our trade up with the Panthers announced before the Rams and Raiders made their swap and if so why. Why would we trade up and then make it known before we were on the clock giving the Raiders or any team now behind us time to swing the deal with the team just ahead of us if they figured we were after their guy. Knowledge beforehand or at least a strong suspicion is the only thing that makes sense to me for the Raiders to feel the need to move up when they did.

If in fact we were after Key can you make a trade contingent on our guy being there. Could we have told the Panthers We will make the trade as long as no one before us take Arden Key. If he is off the board the trade is voided. I suspect that would be perfectly legal.

I suppose Key could have been our target and Gute figure the Panthers pick was high enough to get him but why wouldn't he take steps to avoid just what you said most likely happened. I do think Key would have been the better pick there but I have know idea what Gute was thinking. I think Burks was the target all along. It's not like it was completely out of left field as some "experts" did have him as a third round talent even if most of us didn't.

If he was indeed the target then I am totally fine with the move. He likely would have been our day 3 first pick and while most will say he would have been there anyway so we wasted the 5th round pick so Gute essentially gave away a 5th rounder to make sure he got the guy he most wanted. I have no problem with that sort of move by a GM.

I suppose now you will give me a link to comments by Gute (or someone with inside information rather than just speculation) contradicting all I just said and in that case never mind.
gbguy20
2018-04-28T14:01:25Z
Key was a 13th percentile athlete, he was not the target
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2018-04-29T03:26:27Z
This should keep CM3 from whining abut not wanting to play MLB. I wonder if they will have him drop back into a quasi safety role from time to time.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : So they were hacked?
Zero2Cool (10h) : Site was down. Host had server issues.
KRK (15h) : Weird, I could get the site with great wifi, but via cellular, no dice
beast (18h) : Patriots also have an OL coach that's not coaching this year... Media speculating he doesn't want to get the vaccine
beast (18h) : So was the site down or could I just not load it for a while there today?
Zero2Cool (20h) : Rick Dennison is out as Vikings offensive line coach/run game coordinator after refusing the COVID-19 vaccine.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ah, there we go.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Nope, the data is there, it's just not pulling shouts.
Zero2Cool (21h) : I feel some stuff was deleted with whatever my host messed up.
Cheesey (23h) : “Guardians”? Of what? 😂 I hope that doesn’t offend some “guardian” out there.😉
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Cleveland is changing its name from the Indians to the Guardians
Cheesey (22-Jul) : As I said before, they have NO IDEA if the vaccine is safe. What will it do to people a year, five or ten years from now? They pushed it through without any idea.
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : @DeAndreHopkins Never thought I would say this, But being put in a position to hurt my team because I don’t want to partake in the vaccine is making me question my future in the @Nfl
Cheesey (22-Jul) : It’s going to be televised on Bally network. (Used to be Fox Sports network)
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : I read it starts at 11 AM
Cheesey (21-Jul) : The parade is tomorrow, but I don’t know what time. I’d love to go see it live, but it’s going to be a madhouse in downtown Milwaukee.
Cheesey (21-Jul) : Really, by the standards of “big city” champs, it was a very well behaved group. No cars tipped over, no windows smashed, no fires started.
dfosterf (21-Jul) : 1 light pole climbing, a couple of river swimmers, 1 crowd surfer, and only 3 shot during the celebration. Church-like behavior by NBA fan standards
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Aaron Rodgers @AaronRodgers12 8h Incredible job by Wes and Mark, Peter, Jon Horst our GM made some incredible moves, and our stars played like stars. Can’t stop 34 💪🏼💪🏼 #champs
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : So damn incredible.
Mucky Tundra (21-Jul) : Giannis on staying in Milwaukee: “I could’ve gone to a super team. I did it the hard way. I fucking did it.”
Mucky Tundra (21-Jul) : Aaron Rodgers now has two championship rings ;)
Cheesey (21-Jul) : I didn’t think I’d live to see this!
Cheesey (21-Jul) : I have to admit...I teared up!
Mucky Tundra (21-Jul) : Giannis Attemptafreethrow
Cheesey (21-Jul) : MILWAUKEE BUCKS WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Bucks did it! The fucking Bucks did it!!!
Cheesey (20-Jul) : But he is a good QB. Now, if we could rid him of his character flaws. (Good luck with that!)😂
Cheesey (20-Jul) : Rodgers is just another Californy nut job.🤪
Cheesey (20-Jul) : Dfoster, you are getting soft! Tell us how you REALLY feel!😁
dfosterf (20-Jul) : ystem so there is that, but I personally don't care for it.
dfosterf (20-Jul) : He is a Diva whack bird arsty craftsy touchy Feely man bun packing commie pinko tree hugging b#itch prima Donna mother f word a hole convict loving a hole. Hell of an arm and master of reads and our s
Cheesey (20-Jul) : Unless he wants even MORE money then they offered. Maybe he wants to be QB/GM “The mighty and powerful Wizard of GB
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : Terrible news. Rams RB Cam Akers suffers torn Achilles (per @TomPelissero)
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : Yep, you all guessed it. It's the same crap that's been said since April. News is slow.
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : That comes to you from Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : Rodgers declined the offer, proof it’s not about the money.
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : This off-season, the Packers offered Aaron Rodgers a two-year contract extension that would have tied him to Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid QB and player in football. R
Zero2Cool (20-Jul) : uh oh Hotel Desk Manager just made a great point. @Bucks have closed out every series on the road.
dfosterf (19-Jul) : Bucks looked a bit chokey to me at the end of thar last game...think they can close it? I remain doubtful, but rooting for you!
dfosterf (19-Jul) : Willie Davis was the man, btw, notwithstanding all you youngins that aren't even expected to know no better...We know...just sayin'...
dfosterf (19-Jul) : Razzle dazzle has cost us so many games. We are a simple people
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : foster, too many words for the simple folks haha
dfosterf (19-Jul) : I'm chopped liver around here, lol
Cheesey (19-Jul) : (Bears locker room....😂) good one Zero!👍
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : You going to the meeting? I have four tickets, but no one to bring lol
dfosterf (19-Jul) : They moved (replaced) that tank in order to make room for an undisclosed expansion to Lambeau. There is a lot of (humor) material to work with here in the upcoming shareholders meeting
dfosterf (19-Jul) : The construction workers in 2003 put a sign on the old tank that read: "Minnesota Vikings locker room"
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : We have Bears locker room under the parking lot?
dfosterf (19-Jul) : Plus we moved the 400,000 gallon poop collection tank to under the player parking lot, so we have that going for us as well!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2021 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 12 @ 3:25 PM
Saints
Monday, Sep 20 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Oct 3 @ 3:25 PM
STEELERS
Sunday, Oct 10 @ 12:00 PM
Bengals
Sunday, Oct 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Oct 24 @ 12:00 PM
FOOTBALL TEAM
Thursday, Oct 28 @ 7:20 PM
Cardinals
Sunday, Nov 7 @ 3:25 PM
Chiefs
Sunday, Nov 14 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Nov 21 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Nov 28 @ 3:25 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Dec 12 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Dec 19 @ 12:00 PM
Ravens
Saturday, Dec 25 @ 3:30 PM
BROWNS
Sunday, Jan 2 @ 7:20 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 9 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

22-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Jul / Random Babble / Cheesey

21-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21-Jul / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

19-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2021 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.