wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

One APC writer thinks that the Packers are actually not and should focus on 2018 and beyond. A few weeks ago, APC’s Paul Noonan wrote a very nice article explaining why the Packers aren’t a one man show at QB .
While I mostly agree with his sentiment, I think the one place the Packers are good at for the time being is the offensive skill positions. However, here is my (probably hot) take on this team right now:
It’s bad.
Now hear me out for a second before the pitchforks and broken beer bottles come for my head. I have talked with fellow smart person, Justis Mosqueda (a Twitter must-follow for all Packer fans @Jumosq), and we both feel as though there may not be another team/roster in the league that would benefit from a bad season than the Green and Gold.
This feeling has had time to marinate. Let me take you back to a time not so long ago; the Packers are 4-6, and Aaron Godgers utters the famous, “I think we can run the table” comment that sparked an 8 game winning streak. That stretch eventually ended in a butt-whipping in Atlanta that we all had to endure. Last year when the team sat at 4-6, I had these same thoughts, I just didn’t share them. They weren’t ready, but now they are. The Packers aren’t what we think/thought they are/were.
Sitting at 4-6 last season, the Packers were beat-up and under-manned. Luckily, they have a good head coach in Mike McCarthy and the best quarterback in NFL history. Rodgers went hero-ball and won 8 straight games. Now, that was cool, and I feel awful taking winning for granted, because there are a lot of NFL franchises who would kill for 8 game winning streaks or a trip to their conference championship game. HOWEVER, the team was 4-6 for a reason.
That results in a team that should have been picking somewhere from 14-17 picking 29th instead. Then — in a good move, in my opinion — they traded down to 33, adding the 108th pick. Here’s what could have been:
The Eagles  picked Derek Barnett  14th, the Colts  picked Malik Hooker  15th, the Ravens  picked Marlon Humphrey  16th, and the Redskins  picked Jonathan Allen  at 17. All four of these players have or did look good this season, Barnett and Allen in particular. The Browns  traded up to 29 for David Njoku. The Steelers  took T.J. Watt  at 30 (I’m still taking this L), and the 49ers  took Reuben Foster  at 31 with Ryan Ramczyk  following him at 32.
I like Kevin King , and he’s flashed this season, but the difference in a mid 1st round pick’s talent to the 33rd can be pretty significant. This isn’t a knock on King, but is intended to show what type of talent went before the Packers picked. This is more of a ”I wish we would have finished 6-10/7-9 last year” discussion than an “anti-Kevin King” rant.
Hypothetically, say the Packers picked 16th. There, perhaps they take edge rusher Charles Harris. Then their 2nd round pick is at 48 instead of 61. Running back Joe Mixon  was the 48th pick of the draft.
I’m not here to contest what draft picks are worth, nor to dispute the argument that “there really isn’t much of a difference between the 18th pick and the 29th/33rd because there are busts at both spots.” If that were the case, there would be no benefit picking #1 because there have been busts there too. What I’m saying is that there is generally a higher level of talent available higher in the draft, thus, that’s why they are picked there.
I will probably have another piece closer to the end of the season when the offseason picture is clearer (though we just had a player basically announce his retirement this weekend ). Furthermore, the argument here will probably piss a lot of people off because it’s not the narrative that most fans want to hear. But y’all heard it here, first. The Packers aren’t good. They are an average to below-average team with a transcendent quarterback.
It would be wise of them, in this season where winning a Super Bowl isn’t plausible, to scrap the season. Granted, it’s much easier for me to say that without a stake in the team or my livelihood on the line, but be good or be bad and don’t be in the middle. The Packers have a chance to be in a better position to help this team immediately for next season, as getting Rodgers back healthy gains them probably somewhere around 5 wins. They were 4-1 with Rodgers, and they can do it again. But next time, they can have better players.
Carry on.

Continue Reading @ Owen Riese 

Owen Riese wrote:

Kind of a weak narrative on his part. The players they have will play. Guys get hurt going half/ 3/4 speed in a full speed situation.
The guys will play to the best of their abilities such as they are. The only way to throw games is to dump to bench the better players. Neither will happen. Cream rises crap settles. Without Rodgers they will sink in the standings unless Hundley shows more than he has. They don't have to go out of their way and throw games to fail.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
No. We have a poor history up high in the draft under this regime. Moving up a few slots just means committing more rookie deal money to a likely bust or pedestrian player like 5th overall AJ Hawk.

If tanking causes regime change then 100% yes. It shouldn't take that to cause change but that's how Ted got rid of Sherman by tanking. Be poetic to see Ted and Mike get boot under unintended tank.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
6 years ago
It ain't exactly over yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

For a long term perspective, yes tanking is probably best, which is why teams tank when they don't think it's going to be a good current year, so they can set up for the future. Of course, that's not to say it's good for the people in charge nor the players as they may only have a limited time in those roles.

But yes getting to pick high in each round, might be more be more helpful then winning a few more picks at towards the end of each round.

Though at the end of the day, it all depends on the success of the selections. But in theory much higher selection choice should help with that.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Both winning and losing can become habit.

The only thing I might think about is giving young players more reps in games to get them experience
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
gotarace
6 years ago
Teach the young guys it's OK to lose and be a loser...I'm definitely against that. Every person at a professional level is there for a reason. They were the kids that were gifted and blessed with talent many of us will never understand. They have been winners their entire lives and instilling anything but a winning attitude is utter foolishness. Maybe Ted...MM and the entire coaching staff should earn their keep. It is hard to believe we can't scheme up an effective game plan because one player went down.
Let's quote Vince..."Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is."
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
Without Aaron I am not sure we have to try to tank. I do believe the reality of what he provides to this team is going to be evident over the next few weeks. I am not sure if Hundley will even win us 1 game. I just don't think he can put up the points to protect against our very pedestrian defense.
Cheesey
6 years ago

It ain't exactly over yet.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That's TRUE!!!!

(We have to wait until after the game Monday to say it is!)😝
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Both winning and losing can become habit.

The only thing I might think about is giving young players more reps in games to get them experience

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I agree with the premise that in general picking in the middle of each round is going to give you better talent than picking at the end or at the very least it gives you more choices. On the other hand I would be opposed to losing on purpose just to accomplish this. I understand why some fans might think that losing on purpose is the best chance to obtain more talent, I just disagree with it. Not so much the getting better talent part but the losing on purpose part. Thus the trick becomes how to tank without giving the appearance of tanking.

Your idea of playing the young guys to give them more experience is legit, especially if several more losses make a playoff run unlikely (not going to get into the whole getting to the playoffs is all some fans care about thing) Is this tanking? In my opinion tanking is not doing everything in your power to win so yeah, if playing Geronimo Allison instead of Davante Adams because you want to give GA more reps that is a part of tanking. On the other hand if the Packers have decided to move on from DA next year giving his potential replacement more reps makes some sense. Please note I am just using these two guys as an example, I am not suggesting anything at all regarding the Packers, GA and DA.

Saving banged up guys may also be a legit concern. You have a critical part of your defense and he is battling a lingering relatively minor injury but he can still play do you bench him for the last few games if the playoffs are out of reach? If its possible that playing may elevate the injury to something potentially more serious then yeah it is a legit tactic.

Teams tank all the time. A team with home filed locked up benches their starters for the last two games is tanking. Its not tanking for the reason we usually think of tanking, namely to get a better draft pick to help your future, but it is pretty much giving up a game or two to ensure that your more immediate future stays rosy and bright by protecting your stars.

So to answer the OP's direct question Would tanking the rest of 2017 be in the best long term interest my answer would be maybe, leaning towards probably. However, as others have pointed out not trying to win is not a mentality I want to see promoted for that end (better draft pick) Play some young guys if that's what you think is needed, bench some injured players if it will help them in the long run but please, if you are going to tank at least try to make it look like you are not tanking.
yooperfan
6 years ago
Fire Ted Thompson and go from there.
Except for Aaron Rodgers his first round picks have been horrible.
Some can’t be busted yet, but for the most part?????
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.