IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Link 

By Tom Pelissero tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com November 20, 2008

This was supposed to be the year Daryn Colledge ran out of chances.
Advertisement

Allen Barbre was supposed to beat him out for the starting job at left guard. When Barbre didnt, rookie Josh Sitton was supposed to get the nod.

But sometime during the Green Bay Packers offseason-long guard derby perhaps, because of it Colledge made the leap the team had been waiting for.

In his third NFL season, Colledge has done more than hang onto his place in the lineup. Hes arguably playing the best and the most consistently of anyone on the offensive line.

You always feel like people are writing you off, because they are, Colledge said this week. People in the paper saying youre going to be there until the other guy is at a position where he can play. But you just use that as motivation.

I knew who I was. I know what Ive done. I know the success that Ive had. Ive had my ups and downs, but I continue to go out there and compete every single week and continue to go out there and try to show the Packers that Im the best answer at whatever position Im playing.

For the first time since the Packers selected him in the second round (47th overall) of the 2006 draft, Colledge is removing doubts about whether that position in the long term can be guard, where hes started 38 NFL games after four standout seasons as a tackle at Boise State.

He lost his starting spot in each of his first two seasons, only to regain it by the end of the year. It appeared he might be replaced again several times the past six months when Barbre split time in organized team activities and minicamp, when Sitton moved up to the first unit in training camp and as recently as when Barbre played a couple of series on Sept. 14 at Detroit.

But coaches opted to stick with Colledge, who has rewarded their patience by playing the best football of his young pro career the past two months.

He had a very good understanding of what he had to do to keep that spot and what was expected of him from us, offensive line coach James Campen said. Hes fulfilling those as he goes along. Hes not there yet, but hes getting closer and closer to getting there.

That was evident throughout last weeks 37-3 blowout of the Chicago Bears. The Packers rushed for 200 yards, doing much of their damage on zone left runs behind center Scott Wells and Colledge, who repeatedly set his side of tight combination blocks and then picked off middle linebacker Brian Urlacher at the second level. Colledge also pulled on a trap toss for a gain of 7, led the way on a shotgun draw for a third-down conversion and drove Pro Bowl defensive tackle Tommie Harris several yards into the end zone on the backside of Ryan Grants 4-yard touchdown run.

By no means has Colledge been error-free he was beaten on a pair of short-yardage runs for loss against Chicago, and his holding penalty contributed to a stalled fourth-quarter drive the week before at Minnesota. But hes done a better job staying on his feet, keeping his head up and finishing blocks while also displaying improved awareness. Hes avoided the big mistake in the passing game since Sept. 28 at Tampa Bay, where his indecisiveness on a blitz pickup led to a drive-stifling sack, and he even held up well as an emergency starter at left tackle when Chad Clifton had an adverse reaction to medication shortly before kickoff on Nov. 2 at Tennessee.

His pad level is down, Campen said. His hand placements better. His knee drive, his leg drive is better. Hes more consistent with his base, and thats a byproduct of the work that he put in and the coaching that he got in that weight room.

One of the teams stronger players, Colledge (6-4, 308) spent the offseason diversifying his training, improving in less conventional lifts and exercises during long days with strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson. He continues to be one of the teams most diligent lifters, pushing himself on Fridays when other players do a lighter workout or skip altogether.

Hes just much more confident with everything he does, Gullickson said.

That confidence has played no small part in the improvement Colledge, whose contract expires after next season, has shown during what he acknowledged in August was a crucial season for his future in Green Bay.

If he continues to play at this level, theres no reason to believe Colledge will relinquish his starting job again anytime soon.

I expect myself to have success in my position now. The excuses are over, Colledge said this week. If Im not producing now, theyre going to find somebody who can.

Luckily, Im playing at a level right now that I seem to be able to keep my job, and as long as Im doing that, then Im helping this team win.

Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Thanks for the article. I kind of disagree with it. I think he's better at LT than LG.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
he had one good game. I'm not ready to crown him yet.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
I want Tom to be right. I so want that. I want to be wrong. I don't think I am. My 3 year plan was destroyed at the Metrodome. I wish my memory sucked worse than it does.
Pack93z
15 years ago
Consistent.. what the hell games have they been watching?

Even in his "solid" game last week he got his ass handed to him a couple of times.. one left tackle run near the goal line Cliffy and the prodigy here were knocked backwards nearly five freaking yards.

Most consistent guy on the front has been Wells.. after he got past that injury he has been decent.. not great, he will never be a nasty blocker.. but he is sealing off pretty decently. Got tore up against the Vikes.. but join the rest of that front 5.

I watched the game again the other night.. the guy IMO that graded out the best last Sunday.. Tausch.

But in the end, I will say this much about Colledge.. he has looked to have taken a large step in becoming the next left tackle of this team... needs to work on his footwork out there in pass protection, but it is night and day compared to last season in his attempts at Left Tackle.. he just isn't a every down NFL guard at this point.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago
I wonder if Tom is getting a cut of Colledge's next contract.. I thought only agents wrote this kind of fluff. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gbpfan
15 years ago
I'm not that big of fan,but wonder if he is showing up right now because of his contract,and the fact two others are waiting in the wings.
Pack93z
15 years ago
gbpfan.. I think Colledge shows up when his spot is threatened.. but I applaud his effort though.. sounds like the guy works his rear off.. I still believe he will be a very solid tackle in this league..
Greg C.
15 years ago
I'm not seeing the big improvement in Colledge either, although I admit I've never been great at watching individual O-linemen. One thing I've been saying all along is that the play at both tackle positions has not been as consistent this year. But I'm sure not ready to say that Colledge has been any more consistent than the rest of them.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago

gbpfan.. I think Colledge shows up when his spot is threatened.. but I applaud his effort though.. sounds like the guy works his rear off.. I still believe he will be a very solid tackle in this league..

"pack93z" wrote:

Hmm... My hope...not expectation....Jared Allen will have a vote....I want those two BIG Guards I mentioned 52 times (and counting :icon_smile: )
which would move our boy to face the criminal.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

13h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

13h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.