uffda udfa
7 years ago
Watching Dallas completely change due to the impact of a rookie RB, makes me wonder how much a stud like Elliott could impact us?

Opening our running back cupboard it has some interesting items on the shelf. Montgomery will be back with full offseason as a runner. Lacy may return after his injury and wildcard Ripkowski has been largely unexplored. Michael was a Knile Davis that didn't cost a pick so he stuck due to desperation but believe he's done here.

Given what we have available how highly do you prioritize this position come draft time? This is a special RB class that doesn't come around often. Going to be hard not to grab one up relatively high within first 4 rounds.

Lacy situation clearly a major factor but I think Ripkowski flashed Alstott type potential. He appears to be much more than a 3 yard and a cloud of dust plodder. The guy looks to be very hard to bring down. Once through the Dline it's fun watching him run through people. I feel like he can fill the bull role that Eddie did for us. Sample size is small and Atlanta is hardly the old Steel Curtain but I'm wondering how Rip is perceived at 1265? Well enough to make Eddie expendable?

Still, would love a new guy. The Terrell Davis for Elway type. Do you want the ball out of Aaron's hands that much as a stud RB requires?

Lots of questions and interesting perspectives on how important finding a stud RB this spring. I think if we're going BPA and somehow Dalvin Cook or maybe even Christian McCaffery is there at 29, it's going to be hard to pass one of them up just because we need DB help.

Get a stud and revolutionize our offense.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
7 years ago
If we knew they'd be healthy an affordable I think Lacy, Rip, and Monty would be a nice backfield. I love Michaels' burst and don't feel he was utilized like he could have been last year - imagine him in space - but he tries too hard to be Barry Sanders and apparently the lights aren't all on upstairs.

As you said, depends on the Lacy domino, but if he signs, I actually think we could be in OK shape.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I just got done reading a scroll of Demovsky stories at ESPN.com. I see he rated the RB need as HIGH based on a high, medium, low standard.

Saw in his pieces that Kiper has us taking Christian in Round 1 while McShay has us taking Kamara from Tennessee. It's notable that the last 3 mocks I've seen don't have us taking a DB.

I was remiss in not speaking to Ty's sickle cell condition. Pretty risky and hard to put your eggs in his basket. Don't think we will. We didn't do it last year when we had the need so having an offseason to fix the position isn't going to leave Ty in a position to have to carry the load.

If Eddie is back, I think we still take a RB but one who fell or is available mid rounds ...If Eddie is gone, I think a high pick makes a ton of sense. However, with the class being so so deep, I think need at CB is going to push a RB selection later than I'd like no matter what happens with Eddie.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

Lots of questions and interesting perspectives on how important finding a stud RB this spring. I think if we're going BPA and somehow Dalvin Cook or maybe even Christian McCaffery is there at 29, it's going to be hard to pass one of them up just because we need DB help.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Honest question... is Christian McCaffery that much different than Ty Montgomery?

Because from what I've seen/read is that McCaffery's best asset is that he's so darn versatile and can also be played like a slot WR... but so can Montgomery... also Montgomery gets flack for not being big enough... but he's bigger than McCaffery. Only than hype and that he's played the position longer and got to play against weaker fronts is the only big differences I see. Montgomery needs to keep improving but there were so many times where he could of just shook one more guy that he would of been off to the races for a possible 20+ yard run (and NFL > college). So is McCaffery really that much different than Montgomery?

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
Don Jackson and John Crockett will be back. Both can play, they'll have to prove they can pass pro to make the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I really don't like Lacy as our RB. McCarthy likes to run outside and that doesn't match Lacy's running style. He need to go north south and get his girth moving. We also have a finesse pass blocking Oline, who constantly gets beat to the edges by faster defensive players and they don't get a great drive forward.

Really unless we commit to running the game by improving the run blocking, investing a lot in the running game is kind of a waste.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
7 years ago

Honest question... is Christian McCaffery that much different than Ty Montgomery?

Because from what I've seen/read is that McCaffery's best asset is that he's so darn versatile and can also be played like a slot WR... but so can Montgomery... also Montgomery gets flack for not being big enough... but he's bigger than McCaffery. Only than hype and that he's played the position longer and got to play against weaker fronts is the only big differences I see. Montgomery needs to keep improving but there were so many times where he could of just shook one more guy that he would of been off to the races for a possible 20+ yard run (and NFL > college). So is McCaffery really that much different than Montgomery?

Originally Posted by: beast 

That's an excellent question. They sound similar. My thinking is the knock on Christian is he might not be able to take the pounding similar to Ty. Having two similar guys is appealing to keep each other fresh. Maybe, they ditch Cobb and his contract if Christian comes aboard. The Harvin comparison is exciting. I'll be curious to see his 40 time at the combine. He's listed at 4.5 like Ty. Their strength and conditioning coach said he's the fastest RB they've had since 2007 when he started.

To add a Harvin element is super exciting to me. We could use another WR and Christian could be that for us beyond his ability to help in backfield. If Ty didn't have sickle cell trait I'd be less enthusiastic about drafting McCaffrey.

I just believe Christian is Ted's kind of player. He would immediately add a buzz to this team that's been missing.

I'm all for it. Would love a RB in Round 1. Kamara is intriguing but I'd be worried about him as 29th overall. That guy is generating buzz and never carried more than 18 times in a game.

I agree with PFWT that our OL is not a great run unit. All the more reason to have a stud back there who can make something from nothing. Plus, the threat of Rodgers should really open up the run game. Freeman and Coleman sure help Atlanta's O. The Pats win with bruising Blount, shifty Lewis and middling White. Ripkowski could be our Blount.

I don't like Crockett and the mention of Don Jackson literally makes me laugh. Those two are classic scrap heap guys you could find anywhere. We're going to have to do something. I'm hoping it's adding a dynamic back in the draft... when 29 rolls around I'm hoping Cook has fallen to our spot. I'll even be fired up if Christian is there. Take one of them!
UserPostedImage

steveishere
7 years ago
This draft so far seems to be pretty stocked with good RBs. I'd expect us to take one at some point. I'm cool with Lacy coming back if it's a good deal but with Montgomery on the roster it's not really a desperate situation so we can pick our shots.
stevegb
7 years ago
I think its a high priority, I'm not confident in Lacy anymore (love to keep him as the secondary runner) and I love Montgomery as the jack of all trades (our identity is a deep WR corp and an elite QB). I have no idea about draft prospects but I wouldn't be against a 3-5 round pick on a RB, I'd prefer to spend the earlier rounds on some defensive flash.
blank
dhazer
7 years ago
I don't want Lacy back, he doesn't want to play football as you could see in his commitment. I would like to go into the year with TY, Rip, Crockett. Look at the Pats and you see what they do with a good receiving back in White. Plus why waste a high draft pick on a rb when we don't try keeping one going in a game. Plus i seen on NFL network that DJ has us taking TJ Watt with our 1st pick 🙂
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (9h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.