Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2017-01-02T18:06:19Z
The 2016 has concluded and here are your final Zero rankings.

Check out my top four and the conference seeding. That is pretty neat, isn't it?

1: Patriots 1st seed AFC
2: Falcons 2nd seed NFC
3: Chiefs 2nd seed AFC
4: Cowboys 1st seed NFC

Sometimes numbers workout in the end, lol.

Big Jumper

+5 Chiefs

Big Dropper

-6 Dolphins

1. New England Patriots
  2. Atlanta Falcons
  3. Kansas City Chiefs
  4. Dallas Cowboys
  5. Denver Broncos
  6. New York Giants
  7. Minnesota Vikings
  8. Oakland Raiders
  9. Seattle Seahawks
  10. Pittsburgh Steelers
  11. Miami Dolphins
  12. Green Bay Packers
  13. Tennessee Titans
  14. Washington Redskins
  15. Cincinnati Bengals
  16. New Orleans Saints
  17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  18. Buffalo Bills
  19. San Diego Chargers
  20. Arizona Cardinals
  21. Indianapolis Colts
  22. Baltimore Ravens
  23. Philadelphia Eagles
  24. Houston Texans
  25. Detroit Lions
  26. Jacksonville Jaguars
  27. Carolina Panthers
  28. Chicago Bears
  29. San Francisco 49ers
  30. Los Angeles Rams
  31. New York Jets
  32. Cleveland Browns

Same algorithm applied over last four weeks to show the hottest teams.

1. Atlanta Falcons
  2. Green Bay Packers
  3. New England Patriots
  4. Kansas City Chiefs
  5. Miami Dolphins
  6. Cincinnati Bengals
  7. New York Giants
  8. Dallas Cowboys
  9. Buffalo Bills
  10. San Francisco 49ers
  11. Washington Redskins
  12. Jacksonville Jaguars
  13. Pittsburgh Steelers
  14. Philadelphia Eagles
  15. Houston Texans
  16. Denver Broncos
  17. Indianapolis Colts
  18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  19. Minnesota Vikings
  20. Oakland Raiders
  21. San Diego Chargers
  22. Baltimore Ravens
  23. New Orleans Saints
  24. Seattle Seahawks
  25. Carolina Panthers
  26. Arizona Cardinals
  27. Tennessee Titans
  28. Cleveland Browns
  29. Chicago Bears
  30. New York Jets
  31. Detroit Lions
  32. Los Angeles Rams
Nonstopdrivel
2017-01-02T19:13:28Z
So when you apply your algorithm to the last four weeks, seven out of your top ten teams are in the playoffs. Not bad at all. It's a little weird to see playoff contenders like the Seahawks and Lions ranked so low, but it happens, especially with a team like Detroit, which is limping into the postseason.

I know that in their ranking algorithm, Football Outsiders systematically weights earlier weeks lower than later weeks. I think you're starting to see why.
Zero2Cool
2017-01-02T19:15:30Z
Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

So when you apply your algorithm to the last four weeks, seven out of your top ten teams are in the playoffs. Not bad at all.

I know that in their ranking algorithm, Football Outsiders systematically weights earlier weeks lower than later weeks. I think you're starting to see why.

They are smarter than I am. I'm still trying to finish up on importing all the weekly stats automatically so I can just create queries against it and apply different selective variables. Maybe I'll get to it this off season.
Nonstopdrivel
2017-01-02T19:20:52Z
A buddy and I spent months working on software to import and parse play-by-play and extract the relevant statistics from it, but we eventually ran out of time and had to move on to other projects. There are sites that will sell you the weekly stats in database format relatively inexpensively. Access to the league's XML feed, though, is frighteningly expensive. We're talking tens of thousands per month.
Zero2Cool
2017-01-02T19:30:12Z

A buddy and I spent months working on software to import and parse play-by-play and extract the relevant statistics from it, but we eventually ran out of time and had to move on to other projects. There are sites that will sell you the weekly stats in database format relatively inexpensively. Access to the league's XML feed, though, is frighteningly expensive. We're talking tens of thousands per month.

The NFL actually makes the data available in JSON form and I have it parsed out already in how I want it. Literally, I just have to solidify the database structure, decide on how initialization of the data will happen and design the page. I've run 22 miles of the marathon lol
Nonstopdrivel
2017-01-02T20:11:59Z
This was several years ago, so things might have changed, but at the time, the real-time stats (which we wanted so we could do things like half-time predictions) were supplied in XML format for a very high price.

On the other hand, we scraped the weekly play-by-plays from the NFL's media-access site, which looked like a Web 1.0 page because the UI hasn't been updated in almost ten years and which was accessible with a default password (lol). I should go through my old emails to find the URL and see if that password still works. It still boggles my mind that a multibillion-dollar enterprise like the NFL operated a website with a single username and password for well over a decade -- and still might, for all I know. Then again, NFL.com fails miserably every speed and markup validation test known to man, so I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Where are you getting the data in JSON format?
Zero2Cool
2017-01-03T13:48:02Z

Where are you getting the data in JSON format?

I was mistaken, it is XML, not JSON. The JSON is for a different aspect of what I'm doing. The stats are not live either, they are from the gameday results that get posted hours after the game. It's the same XML you were using. They haven't changed their structure since I think 2002.
Zero2Cool
2017-01-16T16:35:30Z
Conference Championship round is here and my top two ranked teams are still alive. Pretty crazy that my 12th ranked team is going to win it all.
Zero2Cool
2017-01-23T13:27:47Z
Even though one and two are in the Super Bowl, you still won't give validity to my rankings. You're a bunch of pants kickers!!

UserPostedImage
Smokey
2017-01-23T14:14:26Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Even though one and two are in the Super Bowl, you still won't give validity to my rankings. You're a bunch of pants kickers!!

UserPostedImage

Do you have a point or are you just being Zero ?

Communicate, get it off your chest, open up, tell it with the bark on, don't sugar coat it, speak your mind, state your point of view, say what's on your mind ! Were listening .

😁