Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
In the Masthey v. Schum thread Uffda said he will hate Schum more than any other GB player; folks, that's alot of hate. 😂 😂 Uffda also questioned Schum's upside citing Sander and Kapinos, ex-packers that truly deserve our hate. And to Uffda's credit, he set aside his predisposed bias and hate [BTW, prejudging bad from a guy cut 3 times by TB is not all that outrageous] to impartially evaluate Schum's KC play. Uffda is now more "schumfortable." [Quite funny-though it did set my computer on fire during the spell check].

But, there's a difference between William Herbert Sander [guess he got "BJ" as a description of his punting skills]/Kapinos and Schum.

Sander averaged 43.4 YPK with Ohio state; Kapinos had a career average at Penn State of 42 YPK.

These 2 guys couldn't play football but wanted to be on a team so they probably started punting from age 8. They were good enough in HS to get a scholarship to top football programs. While there they had real ST coaches to work on technique and a training staff to strengthen leg and get flexibility. Not sure how much upside they had coming into NFL.

Schum's back-story  was different, before coming to NFL, I'll bet Schum learned most of his punting technique from watching youtube videos. He was a WR, who just happen to be his HS teams' best punter and only got a call from Buffalo State. He was there 2 years; but only played one to preserve 3 years of eligibility just in case a D-1 school called. D-1 Colleges are looking for punters all the time; but in 2009 he had to walk-on at U of Buffalo as a WR [his nickname was Wes Welker because he caught everything] obviously because he sucked at punting at Buffalo State. In 2010, at U of Buffalo he tried out for punter, won the job, a scholarship and had a 38.7 average as a RS-Soph.

Now did PSU or OSU or Cal or USC or 'Bama come calling; how about Akron, Kent state Ohio or Ball Sate? No, he was so bad he couldn't even keep his starting job or scholarship at Buffalo. He went to work at an athletic club and punted on his old HS field. In the winter he shoveled the field, oh he lived near Buffalo-so there was alota snow to shovel. Really pathetic actually, well except not so pathetic given where he is at.

macbob posted Schum's wiki page in the Masthey v. Schum thread pointing out that he was cut by 3 teams; but what he doesn't point out is that he was cut 5 times [from 2013 to August 2015]; so 2 teams cut him twice and TB once signed him to practice squad for 4 days. When a player is signed multiple times by a team, it means the team sees him as close to 53 or has some upside to get to 53. His sixth signing and 3rd w/ TB saw him win the starting job last year [albeit over two sucky punters].

I have to wait until Sunday afternoon to see the damn game [Pox on you NFL channel]; but here's a recap meshed from info from Huber  and game logs:

1st half:
1. Aussie-style punt that went 32 yards and resulted in a fair catch at the 9.
2. 44-yarder with 5.11 seconds of hang time FC at 9.
3. 57-yarder that "barely trickled into the end zone."
4. 51 yards with 4.61 hang time; 8 yard return.
McCarthy said at halftime Schum had 2 good kicks. [I assume he said that because kicks 3 and 4 were reminiscent of average-Masthay-like].

2nd half:
5. 37-yarder with 4.43 seconds of hang time FC at 20.
6. 45-yarder with 4.66 hang time FC at 12.
7. 46 yards with 4.25 hang time and 12 yard return- Tackle by Schum
8. 52 yards with 4.96 seconds of hang time 6 yard return.

Here's my ranking of his punts [though I didn't see them]:
Kicks #1 and #2 were great; #2 is all-pro stuff!
kick #6 was pretty good, but at 45 yards all-pro needs that hang time at 5 seconds.
kick #5 a little short but with sufficient hang time, which is not as bad as a little long.
kick #3 too long, but not the end of the world, if this kick had decent hang time and landed at the 10 and our coverage was inept in downing the ball, this kick gets moved with top two punts.
Kicks #4 was too long and #8 was a little too long for respective hang times, thus allowing returns; this is the kinda stuff causing Masthay not to stick for the competition w/ Schum.
Kick #7: these kicks get you waived!
olds70supreme
7 years ago
The "barely trickled into the endzone" punt description is accurate - I think it died on the goal line. A little disappointed in the coverage team, it didn't seem like they were giving 100% or it would have been downed inside the 2.

In one game he seemed solid - definitely had plenty of practice out there 🤣
blank
steveishere
7 years ago
If I remember right the 3rd punt actually landed around the 5 and bounced a bit before trickling into the end zone. I never watched the gunners to see if they got held up too long or anything but at first glance it looked like someone should have gotten there.
luigis
7 years ago
So he was a WR... thinking: How in hell you design a play for the punter to catch a TD pass? There must be a way.

Most punters look ok in their first games, I have no idea why is that. Mashtay looked great in his first games too. BJ Sander never looked good but BJ Sander was BJ Sander.

I'm sure Schum will decline as the season goes. He may or may not have a good game here and there but he is definitively not a good punter, the evidence is overwhelming.

So I have no idea what the plan is, I'll just sit in my desk and panic.
Luis
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Now, Barfarn, to be fair, I said I hated his NAME more than any other. Schum is just not a likable name. I brought up Kapinos and Sander in case he flamed out. He didn't and I am more (won't say it as to not burn up your way of posting on this board because I would miss it far too much).

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
7 years ago
Thought Schum had a good game today.

Nice punt to flip field position, then saved the game on the errant snap. Could have been the difference.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.