ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
Seriously, I'm either on to something, or I'm just ON something. I'll let you folks judge.

Given our defensive personnel (minus the line at the moment), am I crazy to think that if we could get a coordinator in here with a Johnson/Spagnola style we could be absolutely crushing people?

Here's the (complete and total) hypothetical: Ted Thompson breaks open the piggy bank and pays real coin to a D coordinator of that mold -- hell, make the guy a co-head coach, if that's what he wants. We then go and draft or otherwise acquire at least some quality depth at DT and behind Jenkins (who, at least, will be back next year). With the talent/depth we've got at LB and a secondary that can lock up in man coverage, could we not be a top-5 defense?

I'm not giving up on this year, not by a long shot. But I have to say, the way this defense is underperforming just bums me right out. I know Jenkins is hurt and that's a big deal, but I can't shake the idea that we're just not using the talent we have to anywhere near its potential.

Okay, thanks for allowing me a little fantasy time. On to the Bears!
blank
15 years ago
I agree with you. As long as our style of D allowed the corners to man up, we could be MUCH better with a great DC. I wouldn't want to see any switch to zone pass coverage though.
Great thinking. Outside the box. I like it.

Frankly, what bothers me about this defense is that the players and coaches always say they are "close to shutting offenses down", but some gap discipline or something leads to an explosive gain. This seems like an extremely high risk defense for something that is so basic and non-aggressive. What, one small gap misread and our defense is doomed to give up 30+ yard runs? It just seems very poorly designed.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I agree with you. As long as our style of D allowed the corners to man up, we could be MUCH better with a great DC. I wouldn't want to see any switch to zone pass coverage though.
Great thinking. Outside the box. I like it.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Absolutely man coverage -- that's key, and we just happen to have corners that can really do it (as opposed to how Champ Bailey's been 'doing it' for the past 2 years in Denver). That frees up everybody else (including Bigby) to go in, stuff the crap out of any run attempt and get to the damn QB.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Frankly, what bothers me about this defense is that the players and coaches always say they are "close to shutting offenses down", but some gap discipline or something leads to an explosive gain. This seems like an extremely high risk defense for something that is so basic and non-aggressive. What, one small gap misread and our defense is doomed to give up 30+ yard runs? It just seems very poorly designed.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Agreed, totally. I see no effort to scheme anything unusual or try to adjust to matchups. They just line up as if they somehow think our front 4 will magically get to the QB, when it's failed to do so all year. And then a couple guys lose their gaps and we're run on like doormats? I admit to not being a defensive guru, but that doesn't seem right to me.
blank
porky88
15 years ago
I said it before that Bob Sanders Defense 101 is pressure with the front four or know pressure at all.

He has know intentions to mix it up like a Jim Johnson or Steve Spagnuolo. The blitz packages the Packers use are awful. It's the same stuff. I'd like to see some delay blitzes and even Bigby brought, but there is just nothing. It's Barnett up the middle and Hawk or Poppinga coming from the same spot. On occasion you see Woodson from the corner blitz, but that's once or twice in a month.

I certainly would like to see a move at defensive coordinator. I'm an advocate for Winston Moss myself.
brnt247
15 years ago
It's bad when you hardly blitz but still regularly give up huge gains on the ground. I don't know if this is a personnel problem or a coaching problem, but it's going to be hard winning games in the NFC without a run defense. The entire NFC East, most of the NFC south, and the Bears and Vikings all have very good run offenses, and it's hard to get into the playoffs or go far into the playoffs if we can't at least limit the running backs to 100 yards combined.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
We obviously don't have guys on the D-line that can pass rush, OR stop the run.
Free-Rot had all day in the pocket. Had they had a good QB, they would have buried us.
Our DB's are great, but the D-line puts them out on an island every play.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Free-Rot had all day in the pocket. Had they had a good QB, they would have buried us.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Yep, I know we've got personnel problems up there. But Kampy's good, and when we get Jenkins back he's our guy. I honestly think we're a couple good players (not great, mind you, just good) from being in better shape there, and there has to be something scheme-wise that can help. Like Porky said, from my (albeit limited) vantage point, it seems like Sanders just can not or will not adjust.

Hell, the Giants aren't getting things done with their top-line players -- they've had to shuffle and make do, as well. At some point it's got to lead to coaching.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Yep, I know we've got personnel problems up there. But Kampy's good, and when we get Jenkins back he's our guy. I honestly think we're a couple good players (not great, mind you, just good) from being in better shape there, and there has to be something scheme-wise that can help. Like Porky said, from my (albeit limited) vantage point, it seems like Sanders just can not or will not adjust.

Hell, the Giants aren't getting things done with their top-line players -- they've had to shuffle and make do, as well. At some point it's got to lead to coaching.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I agree.
Seems they need to TRY something different at least. And if putting a new D coordinator in there does it, why not at LEAST try?
To me, head coaches seem to shy to make major changes that way. I think it is more their "ego" then anything. If you replace one of your coaches, it means YOU didn't pick the right guy in the first place.
But if they want to win, they better try SOMETHING, because the other teams QB has all DAY to find someone. And if by some luck we make the playoffs, we will be one and done if we have to face a GOOD QB.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I agree.
Seems they need to TRY something different at least. And if putting a new D coordinator in there does it, why not at LEAST try?
To me, head coaches seem to shy to make major changes that way. I think it is more their "ego" then anything. If you replace one of your coaches, it means YOU didn't pick the right guy in the first place.
But if they want to win, they better try SOMETHING, because the other teams QB has all DAY to find someone. And if by some luck we make the playoffs, we will be one and done if we have to face a GOOD QB.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I suppose I can understand the ego thing, but I hope McCarthy either gets over it or is forced to get over it, because I saw the same issues last year as I'm seeing this year, with the only difference being we don't have the depth on D-line this year to make up for what we lost.

Again, to be clear I'm not talking about making changes this year -- we've got our hand and we'll have to play it out. But I firmly believe that even if we make the playoffs and magically run the table to the SB we still need to look hard at the D coordinator position next year. In a division w/ the Bears and the Vikings, we can't afford to have a sub-standard D.
blank
Fan Shout
dhazer (5h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (5h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (21h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.