MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago
Your thoughts?

[list=1]
  • By Competition Committee; Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for Try kicks to the defensive team’s 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed Try.

• By Competition Committee; Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether they are on the field or in the coaches’ booth.

• By Competition Committee; Makes all chop blocks illegal.

• By Competition Committee; Disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

• By Competition Committee; Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.

• By Baltimore; to amend Rule 5, Section 3, Articles 1 and 2 (Changes in Position) to require players to wear jersey vests with numbers appropriate for their positions.

• By Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to provide each team with three challenges and expand reviewable plays.

• By Buffalo; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays and turnovers.

• By Carolina; to amend Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1 (Intentional Grounding) to expand the definition of intentional grounding.

• By Kansas City; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.

• By Kansas City; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (Legal Forward Pass) to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.

• By Minnesota; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (Overtime procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 4 (Reviewable Plays) to subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

• By Competition Committee; Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the nameplate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.

• By Competition Committee; Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

• By Competition Committee; Eliminates the five-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.

• [*]By Competition Committee; Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.[/list]
    Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago
    Not too much here. I do agree that it is dumb to require a team to win both challenges before they are awarded a third challenge. We have seen the refs blow an obvious call and force teams to use their last challenge.
    I would prefer the NFL to use the MLB method of review. Have the official put on the headset and talk to the NFL office back in NYC or some studio somewhere. They can have 20 high def tvs look at multiple angles all at the same time.
    UserPostedImage
    sschind
    8 years ago
    I like #10. I always hated the half the distance crap. 1st and 10 from your own 2 yard line. Personal foul on the offense Wow 1st and 11 from the 1. Big punishment. Make it first and 25 or at the very least make the down count. on the opposite and of the field if you can't march off the full yards against the defense put it at the one. 1st and goal from the 10. Personal foul on the defense make it first and goal from the one not the 5.

Another rule I always hated was the automatic first down on some defensive penalties. 3rd and 20 from your own 20, defensive holding 5 yards and an automatic first down. I can see that one though as it would simply encourage holding by the defense on any third down pass play over 5 yards. I'd rather see 5 yards maybe even 10 and replay the down like most penalties. If the yards make it past the first down marker then fine if not march off the yards and give them the down over. This would need some tweaking. Definitely down on the half the distance one though.
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago

I like #10. I always hated the half the distance crap. 1st and 10 from your own 2 yard line. Personal foul on the offense Wow 1st and 11 from the 1. Big punishment. Make it first and 25 or at the very least make the down count. on the opposite and of the field if you can't march off the full yards against the defense put it at the one. 1st and goal from the 10. Personal foul on the defense make it first and goal from the one not the 5.

Another rule I always hated was the automatic first down on some defensive penalties. 3rd and 20 from your own 20, defensive holding 5 yards and an automatic first down. I can see that one though as it would simply encourage holding by the defense on any third down pass play over 5 yards. I'd rather see 5 yards maybe even 10 and replay the down like most penalties. If the yards make it past the first down marker then fine if not march off the yards and give them the down over. This would need some tweaking. Definitely down on the half the distance one though.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

First comments are fine. I agree.

The holding penalty as you want it would be a problem if it is not a first down too. Instead of 10 yards or more like the PI they give only 5 AND the first down as the penalty. There are still a ton of plays where the DB is grabbing the receiver when he makes his break. Without the first down kicker there will be twice as many DBs holding. Any defense would gladly give up 5 yards instead of a potential 20-30 yards or maybe a TD. That is why they are so willing to grab under the current rule.

UserPostedImage
    TheKanataThrilla
    8 years ago
    "Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line." Is this on punts and Kick Offs? Why did they move up the kick off spot resulting in less returns only now to penalize the team for kicking it into the endzone? I thought with the concussion issues the league wanted less returns on punts and kick offs?
    sschind
    8 years ago

First comments are fine. I agree.

The holding penalty as you want it would be a problem if it is not a first down too. Instead of 10 yards or more like the PI they give only 5 AND the first down as the penalty. There are still a ton of plays where the DB is grabbing the receiver when he makes his break. Without the first down kicker there will be twice as many DBs holding. Any defense would gladly give up 5 yards instead of a potential 20-30 yards or maybe a TD. That is why they are so willing to grab under the current rule.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I get that. Maybe there is no way to make it so that the holding wouldn't be the better option for the DB. It just seems overly harsh to me. It may be harshest penalty there is for the infraction. Maybe its because it can be such a game changer that it seems that way.
    TheKanataThrilla
    8 years ago

I get that. Maybe there is no way to make it so that the holding wouldn't be the better option for the DB. It just seems overly harsh to me. It may be harshest penalty there is for the infraction. Maybe its because it can be such a game changer that it seems that way.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I dislike it because it seems to be able to be called on any play. It allows too much ability of the refs to manipulate the game in my opinion.
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago

I dislike it because it seems to be able to be called on any play. It allows too much ability of the refs to manipulate the game in my opinion.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Just like holding by the OL? There are penalties on every single play if the Refs want to make the call. Some crews are more than willing to call everything. Other crews swallow the whistle.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (3h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.