Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
....,even if it is best for the organization and team, to be just a bit envious and mildly disappointed that for your team, you have the draft to look forward to in the offseason and not much else?

There is little to get excited about in terms of free agency when your team will most likely sit idle again in free agency. As if it is an afterthought until late in the cycle anyway.

To be clear, I am more in favor of the draft, develop and resign philosophy, but I have more of a use for free agency to bolster the roster than the current administration.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
8 years ago
Absolutely not. We all want this team to win it all and be successful in the long haul. We may disagree on how the Packers should go about accomplishing the above, but none of us have a crystal ball that tells us which FAs will pan out and which ones will bust, who to draft, who's going to get injured, etc etc etc.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I have a few ebb flow moments. Draft is fun. Training Camp is fun. Exhibition season I cringe hoping for 100% healthy. The first 12 games of the season are more "meh" to me than anything. The final four is when I get juiced up and ready to hit it up for the playoffs.

What we as spoiled fans of an NFL team can look forward to is a ticket to the six team conference dance every year (7 times in a row) where anything can happen. I'll take that over signing players that were no longer wanted by their team and inking them to a fat contract.

I would have liked the Packers to get Vernon Davis, even if he had flopped similarly with the Packers as he did with Broncos.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
I am hopeful that Ted will find the right FAs to sign this year and actually give a little extra effort towards reaching the final goal of the season. I think this is the season to do that because of the players who will be FA next year. We have the cap space to sign players not at short term fill, but as long term additions. I can see a couple options for ILB.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
OlHoss1884
8 years ago
The problem with most free agency is that you have to overpay to land anyone worth landing, and then hope they fit in as expected. I don't think, on the whole, it works out well for most teams.
Ted Thompson seems to take the same approach with FA as he does with the draft...grab a value guy. Peppers, for example, came relatively cheap.

The problem is that there are times when there is some glaring hole that needs to be addressed, and a second tier guy may fill in nicely where a draft pick might need time to develop. These guys might still add value as backups after you do insert a draftee.

Right now I think we need help at ILB, and the draft looks really thin there, so I could see adding a guy to fill in.

Beyond that I don't see any FA that look like must have guys who would be worth the money.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
steveishere
8 years ago

The problem with most free agency is that you have to overpay to land anyone worth landing, and then hope they fit in as expected. I don't think, on the whole, it works out well for most teams.

Ted Thompson seems to take the same approach with FA as he does with the draft...grab a value guy. Peppers, for example, came relatively cheap.

The problem is that there are times when there is some glaring hole that needs to be addressed, and a second tier guy may fill in nicely where a draft pick might need time to develop. These guys might still add value as backups after you do insert a draftee.

Right now I think we need help at ILB, and the draft looks really thin there, so I could see adding a guy to fill in.

Beyond that I don't see any FA that look like must have guys who would be worth the money.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Maybe not must have guys but I wouldn't have a problem with them signing a guy like Derrick Johnson who is older but can still play. He probably won't cost much, won't require anything long term and gives the team the ability to let some young guys that they like develop a year at that position.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago
I would enjoy this time of the year if GB had been more aggressive in the FA market. It serves to fuel the "what if" lull.

In the past I would have liked to see Uncle Teddy pick up a FA or two to fill the glaring weakness. Someone who is not a street FA or UDFA. My contention was it didn't matter if other teams failed when they signed big named players to big contracts. Uncle Teddy is a better evaluate of talent than they are and generally a player he signed would have worked out.

I have come to the conclusion he is scared. Never signing a high risk/ high reward player means never being wrong. He will nickle and dime away with third level talent that others will try and pawn off as 2nd level talent and point to the couple of players he has signed in 11 years as proof he does indeed acquire FAs.

Uncle Teddy is "the man" because he has been able to rely on a golden armed QB who will no doubt end up in the HoF. Aaron is under contract through the 2019 season. I see Uncle Teddy retiring after 2017. That is two years before Rodger's contract expires. If the team fades like it did after Lombardi stepped down then it won't be "his fault" because his replacement will have been in place for 2 years and it therefore must be the new GM's fault. After all everything was perfect when he left.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago

I would enjoy this time of the year if GB had been more aggressive in the FA market. It serves to fuel the "what if" lull.

In the past I would have liked to see Uncle Teddy pick up a FA or two to fill the glaring weakness. Someone who is not a street FA or UDFA. My contention was it didn't matter if other teams failed when they signed big named players to big contracts. Uncle Teddy is a better evaluate of talent than they are and generally a player he signed would have worked out.

I have come to the conclusion he is scared. Never signing a high risk/ high reward player means never being wrong. He will nickle and dime away with third level talent that others will try and pawn off as 2nd level talent and point to the couple of players he has signed in 11 years as proof he does indeed acquire FAs.

Uncle Teddy is "the man" because he has been able to rely on a golden armed QB who will no doubt end up in the HoF. Aaron is under contract through the 2019 season. I see Uncle Teddy retiring after 2017. That is two years before Rodger's contract expires. If the team fades like it did after Lombardi stepped down then it won't be "his fault" because his replacement will have been in place for 2 years and it therefore must be the new GM's fault. After all everything was perfect when he left.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Here’s the top 20 non franchised FAs by Walter football in 2015; GB signed 2; which others should scaredy cat Ted have signed? Ted Also locked up the best FA DL for 2016, a player as good as Suh, half the price. In 2014 he signed the 2nd best FA CB on the market for 40% of the best one; who incidentally is back on the list after a 1 year/$25M rental.

Of the top 20 FAs that switched teams, NOT ONE...NOT A SINGLE ONE lived up to their contract...NOT ONE!!!! And many just outright sucked!

Free agency is high risk/no reward almost ever! It is a joke; it’s a living personification of a sit-com; it shows just how stupid the average NFL GM is. I loved the Byron Maxwell for Carey Williams “free agent trade” between Seattle and Philly. Both teams over paid and both teams got a crap guy in return. Williams was just cut after game 11 [no injury], this signing by Schneider was out right stupid, $7M just pissed away; but Maxwell was good in Seattle; he just couldn’t adapt to Philly’s styles or was not the player we thought sans Thomas and Chancellor. Thank God for Ted and Wolf teaching his this!

1. Revis
2. Suh
3. McCourty*
4. Cobb*
5. Demarco Murray
6. Brandon Flowers*
7. Orlando Franklin
8. Jerry Hughes*
9. Julius Thomas TE [80(targ)-46-455-9.9-5 and 7 drops w/ a QB that threw for 10% more yards than AR] He would have been so much better than Rich Rodgers...NOT. If Rodgers is a "glaring weakness" what is Julius Thomas?
10. Mike Iupati
11. Terrance Knighton
12. Antonio Cromartie
13. Kareem Jackson*
14. Rodney Hudson*
15. Bulaga*
16. Orakpo
17. Brandon Graham*
18. Nick Fairley
19. Greg Hardy
20. Torrey Smith
*signed w/ old team.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

Here’s the top 20 non franchised FAs by Walter football in 2015; GB signed 2; which others should scaredy cat Ted have signed? Ted Also locked up the best FA DL for 2016, a player as good as Suh, half the price. In 2014 he signed the 2nd best FA CB on the market for 40% of the best one; who incidentally is back on the list after a 1 year/$25M rental.

Of the top 20 FAs that switched teams, NOT ONE...NOT A SINGLE ONE lived up to their contract...NOT ONE!!!! And many just outright sucked!

Free agency is high risk/no reward almost ever! It is a joke; it’s a living personification of a sit-com; it shows just how stupid the average NFL GM is. I loved the Byron Maxwell for Carey Williams “free agent trade” between Seattle and Philly. Both teams over paid and both teams got a crap guy in return. Williams was just cut after game 11 [no injury], this signing by Schneider was out right stupid, $7M just pissed away; but Maxwell was good in Seattle; he just couldn’t adapt to Philly’s styles or was not the player we thought sans Thomas and Chancellor. Thank God for Ted and Wolf teaching his this!

1. Revis
2. Suh
3. McCourty*
4. Cobb*
5. Demarco Murray
6. Brandon Flowers*
7. Orlando Franklin
8. Jerry Hughes*
9. Julius Thomas TE [80(targ)-46-455-9.9-5 and 7 drops w/ a QB that threw for 10% more yards than AR] He would have been so much better than Rich Rodgers...NOT. If Rodgers is a "glaring weakness" what is Julius Thomas?
10. Mike Iupati
11. Terrance Knighton
12. Antonio Cromartie
13. Kareem Jackson*
14. Rodney Hudson*
15. Bulaga*
16. Orakpo
17. Brandon Graham*
18. Nick Fairley
19. Greg Hardy
20. Torrey Smith
*signed w/ old team.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

It has been discussed 1000 times. If you love Uncle Teddy that is fine with me. I am not pointing at any one season. I am looking at a 12 year career. In 12 years there has been enough players available that could have helped GB. He simply will not sign FAs no matter who they are. Even the talking heads on tv have started to notice this. I don't give them a lot of credit one of their off camera interns probably pointed this out to them.

I refuse to consider signing a team's own player as a legitimate FA signing. It's not. It is, for whatever reason, not getting the deal done while the player was still under contract. If a GM can't sign his best players back he isn't much of a GM to begin with.

Here are the FA's Uncle Ted has signed in 12 years:

Major free agent signings 
Position Name Contract Details Year
DT Ryan Pickett Signed a four-year, $14 million contract 2006
CB Charles Woodson Signed a seven-year, $52.7 million contract 2006
RB Cedric Benson Signed a one-year, $825,000 contract 2012
DE Julius Peppers Signed a three-year, $30 million contract 2014

All but Benson worked out. And he was injured so perhaps that one would have worked out too and perhaps he was yet another RB that lost it all in a big hurry.

It's 10 years ago so I don't really remember a lot of teams lining up to pick up Pickett but I am willing to say there were just for the sake of giving Teddy his due.

No one but GB and Tampa were in contention for Woodson. That makes the other GMs stupid and Teddy sharp because Woodson didn't want to come to GB at all.

Benson was a bust bit then I don't blame him for trying. It didn't really cost anything.

Peppers was a good move but I doubt Teddy would have made him an offer if the Bears hadn't screwed up and released him. Meaning there was no draft compensation implications for the bears or against GB. That made the signing "cheaper" and less risky.

Whoever wrote the article for Wiki somehow considers Guion a "major" signing too. I don't he isn't. It is pretty sad when a journeyman roll player is considered a major signing. He has filled a need but that doesn't make it a major deal.

2 FAs in 2006 were large parts of the 2010 team. Which is my point. Supplementing with the occasional FA helps. Since then practically nothing.

Well there was SATURDAY in 2012!!!! Too bad Teddy didn't have a plan when they realized in 2011 that the didn't want to pay Wells big money.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago
I know this has been discussed 1000 times but it's ridiculous to make a sweeping statement like "He didn't sign enough FAs" and refusing to bring even a single example of someone he could have signed to the party. I literally have not seen one of 6 posters engaged in a solid 10 pages worth of conversation over the last couple weeks bring up diddly despite literally a dozen direct requests by 3 different posters to provide said example in a very non-confrontational manner.

I'm not in the "Ted's a deadbeat" camp but I refuse to believe there's not several obvious examples of missed opportunities during Ted's tenure. I seriously do not get the point of having these abstract philosophical conversations (and putting a notable amount of effort into them) without any attempts to tie it back into the realm of the actual world. You clearly want to discuss the subject and put some effort into it since you're bringing up specific examples of people Ted DID sign and analyzing those signings. Why not put a fraction of that effort into explaining why you believe what you believe? Saying that Ted signed these guys and you don't think they're big signings doesn't really address the statement that during Ted's tenure there have been enough players that could have helped Green Bay.

Sorry, I'm just perplexed.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.