Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I think this trade would be a mistake for the Green Bay Packers.

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt to Green Bay Packers for No. 1 draft choices in 2016, 2017 and a provisional 2018 pick

If J.J. Watt chopped down a tree in the forest, would it make a sound?

It sure would in Green Bay, where the Texans' defensive end could put the Packers over the top for the foreseeable future. If that hard-working Verizon 4G network were a man, the commercial goes, it would be Watt, a world-class whacker of quarterbacks.

OK, we know this is patently ridiculous but, hey, you clicked on it -- so here's the scenario:

Packers general manager Ted Thompson, it's true, loves draft choices the way kids love sugar. But ... what if the opportunity arose to place the game's best defensive player in the vicinity of linebacker Clay Matthews? Well, it just did.

ESPN  wrote:

UserPostedImage
RainX
8 years ago
I think that's the minimum you'd expect for a player of Watt's caliber, but there is no way Thompson will do it. I could see him potentially scouring the waiver wire or teams out of serious contention and maybe give up a mid to late round conditional pick if he sees a player that could really help the team, but no way is he going to torpedo any of his upcoming day one drafts just for what essentially would be a luxury pick.
blank
nerdmann
8 years ago
Aaron Rodgers puts us over the top. Or he would, if we'd stop shitting ourselves.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
8 years ago
Sounds like a great idea, and something Ron Wolf might have pulled off.
Thompson, instead, will continue to squander the careers of Aaron Rodgers and Clay Mathews while he endlessly searches for that diamond in the rough.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Not likely.

Even if Texans were thinking seriously about trading Watt (which I find hard to believe), the Packers would be the last team that would bite.

Megadeals like that almost never take place unless the GM is on the hot seat or is someone like Dan Snyder. Ted Thompson is neither.

And, as the yooper said, it's just not consistent with his approach to personnel.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
8 years ago
JJ Watt would absolutely be worth two of the Packers first round draft picks. They would be late picks anyway. It would take a first rounder to draft a player like Watt anyway, so one additional 1st for a proven elite player would be a no brainer. I'm not sure what the third conditional pick would be though. A third 1st or even a second rounder would be too much, and the massive contract would also be a huge issue.

Perhaps Watt would help the Packers at Tight End, too!

Never gonna happen!!🤬 🤬 🤬

Perhaps in the future the Packers can trade Aaron Rodgers for a younger elite player like a JJ Watt and let Brett Hundley take over the reigns. If the Packers think they have a good successor to Aaron Rodgers, I wouldn't be opposed to that as his career is winding down.
isocleas2
8 years ago

Megadeals like that almost never take place unless the GM is on the hot seat or is someone like Dan Snyder.Ted Thompson is neither.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Yep.

On one hand I'd love this deal as Watt is such a dominant player and with him + Mathews rushing it would be scary good. However with how much those two make that means we probably say bye bye to Mike Daniels this offseason, and other ramifications down the road. It is probably still worth doing but its a gamble that only the desperate GMs feel the need to take. So I don't really blame T.T. for sticking with the status quo.
Smokey
8 years ago
Watt, a Packer, it could happen. Yes, the cost would be very high. Draft picks and a drain on next seasons cap money(that will be increasing by the way). He could make the linebackers the terrors of the NFL. But, are the Packers doing so poorly on Defense that only a J.J.Watt could rescue the season ? No, the D line and the LB's have been playing well and are getting better each week. If there is a concern, it is with the defensive secondary. Rivers and the Chargers exposed them with a 500+ yd passing performance. The corners and safeties still lack the experience and in some cases the physical size to compete against the leagues best. Teams like the Patriots as well as others will most certainly be competing for this years SB Trophy. I'd hate to see the Packers advance to the SB only to get shredded due to corners and safeties that are over-matched. Nothing would please me more than to be wrong in this, yet reality is often a difficult thing to face.

For now, a 6 and 0 Packers are a great thing, but it will take a shutdown secondary to win this seasons SB. Can this Packers secondary improve that much before the playoffs ? I can only hope that they can.

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
8 years ago
What about Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, Houston's first round pick in 2016, 2017, and 2018 to the Green Bay Packers for Aaron Rogers?

I would not make that trade, but I think Houston would in a Texas minute.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
beast
8 years ago

My major question would be cap space... most of the DL seems like they're going to be FAs soon... and while Watt might be great he needs some others on the DL with him, so could we say, afford Watt and resign Daniels or Raji and Jones... and Perry?

Datone Jones talked about getting his sack in the chargers game when Peppers made a called rush change with Peppers going in and Datone going out, and Datone was basically the outside rusher... I think it' be fun watching Watt and Peppers mix it up... either way probably one of them is going to win to that side.

But we needs those 1st rounds... to trade back into the 2nd round where Ted Thompson seems to be better anyways 👅
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (14h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (17h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (19h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (20h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.