dfosterf
15 years ago
Titans quickly turn attention to Packers

Short week leaves no time to celebrate win
By Jim Wyatt THE TENNESSEAN October 29, 2008

Buzz up! The Monday Night Football trucks have rolled out of town. The Code Blue T-shirts have gone through the washing machine and are probably out of the dryer by now.

And in one of the more anticipated games at LP Field in years, the Titans disposed of the Colts 31-21 in an emotional and exhausting evening for players, coaches and fans alike.

Now the Titans (7-0) have to turn around and play again in four days against an unfamiliar and dangerous opponent, the Green Bay Packers (4-3).

That's the next challenge facing the NFL's only undefeated team.

"The Monday night game is all well and good and the experience was terrific,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said Tuesday. "The fans and just everything associated with the event was tremendous. It's a great thing for Nashville nationally. And now it's over and now we have the challenge of a short week and it's against a good opponent. So we'll put that in perspective and move on.''

The Titans are certainly riding high after scoring 25 straight points to bury the Colts, perhaps for the season. The Titans have a 4-game lead over the Colts, Jaguars and Texans (all 3-4) in the AFC South.

So how do the Titans, with such a big lead in the division, keep from losing their edge?

"Put the Green Bay tape on,'' Fisher said. "We've got 12 interceptions; they've got 13. They're running the football, they're scoring a lot of points, throwing touchdown passes, returning kicks for touchdowns. They're a good football team. They beat the Colts a week ago.

"So our challenge is a short week after an emotional game, keeping things in perspective and getting ready to play the next game.''

Recent history shows the Titans haven't fared well coming off Monday night games and facing a short week they've lost the last four such games, including a blowout loss at Cincinnati last season.

The Titans last met Green Bay in the regular season in 2004, a 48-27 Monday Night Football win. As for this season's Packers, they've won back-to-back games after a slow start and quarterback Aaron Rodgers has a 12-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. They're coming off a bye week.

"We still have got a long way to go,'' Titans safety Michael Griffin said. "We have to continue to work hard and get ready for Green Bay. We can't look too far ahead.''

The Titans said they delivered a message to the rest of the NFL on Monday night: we're for real. But the coaching staff and the veterans were quick to point out there are still nine games left in the regular season, and division crowns aren't won in October.

"Obviously, we are happy with where we are, but we can't be happy," quarterback Kerry Collins said. "I think that's what allowed us to put this streak together is the fact that regardless of what happened the week before, we are able to put it behind us and move on to the next opponent.''

Reach Jim Wyatt at 615-259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com.

In your voice
Read reactions to this story
Newest first Oldest first

rshead wrote:

In hind sight now, since the Titans defeated the Colts, I am glad that KVB was off to let his groin heal up. Maybe if he would have been held out of the KC game he would have been ready for the Colts. Anyway, I think we're going to be ok, though I wonder about the schedulers that had the MNF game for us on a week that Green Bay was on a bye, then have the Titans on a short week play the Packers. It's a difficult situation for sure, but this team should be able to handle it. My prediction, TN 27 GB 17
10/29/2008 8:55:53 AM In hind sight now, since the Titans defeated the Colts, I am glad that KVB was off to let his groin heal up. Maybe if he would have been held out of the KC game he would have been ready for the Colts. Anyway, I think we're going to be ok, though I wonder about the schedulers that had the MNF game for us on a week that Green Bay was on a bye, then have the Titans on a short week play the Packers. It's a difficult situation for sure, but this team should be able to handle it. My prediction, TN 27 GB 17 rshead
Recommend New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse

SteveTitan wrote:

I'm worried about the "The Pack" this Sunday! I am afraid they will take us down after all of the Monday night festival. We then have to go on the road for the next three out of four games which should really tell us where we are as a team. The NFC East still looks like the division to beat for the Super Bowl. Does anyone really think Vince Young could have led to us to victory like Kerry Collins did in the second half of the game? VY is so poor as a quarterback in so many ways and it is so apparent to anyone who sees a REAL pro QB read defenses, throw on target, and manage a long drive without making a bonehead play. If we lose Collins it will be the same (our offense) as when we lost Haynesworth last year and our defense fell apart. It will then be apparent to everyone (even the GO VINCE idiots!) that this guy is NOT the franchise QB that has always been talked about in the past and to some the future. I understand that VY is really only costing us about $ 2 million this year and next (which is about the price for a adequate backup QB) but in 2010 his contract will be up and he probably will be cut or released. We have already paid this guy (Vince) the majority of his guaranteed $60 million with bonus money and salaries.

10/29/2008 8:21:07 AM I'm worried about the "The Pack" this Sunday! I am afraid they will take us down after all of the Monday night festival. We then have to go on the road for the next three out of four games which should really tell us where we are as a team. The NFC East still looks like the division to beat for the Super Bowl. Does anyone really think Vince Young could have led to us to victory like Kerry Collins did in the second half of the game? VY is so poor as a quarterback in so many ways and it is so apparent to anyone who sees a REAL pro QB read defenses, throw on target, and manage a long drive without making a bonehead play. If we lose Collins it will be the same (our offense) as when we lost Haynesworth last year and our defense fell apart. It will then be apparent to everyone (even the GO VINCE idiots!) that this guy is NOT the franchise QB that has always been talked about in the past and to some the future. I understand that VY is really only costing us about $ 2 million this year and next (which is about the price for a adequate backup QB) but in 2010 his contract will be up and he probably will be cut or released. We have already paid this guy (Vince) the majority of his guaranteed $60 million with bonus money and salaries. SteveTitan
Recommend New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse

SteveSimms wrote:

Both teams beat Indy, but which team is better? The Titans will lay it on the line again on Sunday at high noon in this country western town in LP (Look-out, Packers!) Field.
10/29/2008 8:03:57 AM Both teams beat Indy, but which team is better? The Titans will lay it on the line again on Sunday at high noon in this country western town in LP (Look-out, Packers!) Field. SteveSimms
Recommend (1) New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse

JackBauer wrote:

This will indeed be a huge battle and General Fisher does need to have the troops ready to fight. This is the type of game that most NFL teams have trouble with....a short week after an emotional Monday night game. Go Titans!
10/29/2008 5:40:44 AM This will indeed be a huge battle and General Fisher does need to have the troops ready to fight. This is the type of game that most NFL teams have trouble with....a short week after an emotional Monday night game. Go Titans! JackBauer
Recommend (1) New post Reply to this Post Report Abuse
warhawk
15 years ago
This is what McCarthy was talking about last year regarding handling success. If your intensity level isn't the same every week the results won't be the same either and it's easier to reach for that when your backs against the wall then it is when your riding the high road.

This would be like us coming off a big win against the Bears and taking over the division. I would be very nevous about that next game against a good team that really needs the win more than we do.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
15 years ago
I went over to one of their discussion boards. While some think that we are annointing ourselves (they have been lurking on some of our forums) the best 4-3 team ever, somewhat derisively. most are in agreement that we will be a tough team to beat. An over-riding theme with respect to what we think about them is that we are wrong in assuming that stacking the box against the run will work. Many have commented on how this strategy has been to the detriment of their opponents, especially the last two games. Those folks are very confident in the idea that Collins can toast us.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
While I don't think Collins can toast us, I don't think that stacking 8 in the box will "work" either. It's going to be a tough game for both teams, I think. I think it will be low scoring. I think they will definitely win time-of-possession. I think they will have sustained drives and we will have plenty of 3-and-outs. I think the game will be decided by our ability to create big plays, offensively and defensively. If we can do that, I think we win. If we don't, I think they win.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
15 years ago
I have to say this will be a tough game, but I am pretty convinced that we will take this game. The Colts weak run defense held the running Titans team to under 100 yards. With the Packers strong secondary play, we can stop the pass that the Colts could not. The commentators kept saying they wanted to see the Titans play from behind and they did...so what, they were down by 3 or a touchdown at most.
I think we are going to be one of the toughest teams that the Titans face this year. We are underrated/overlooked because of our 4-3 record.
Packers take this one and beat them the same way they beat the Colts. We will be the first team to not let Kerry Collins look like the new Tom Brady.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago
Get the SS in the box. Or take out the SS and put in a 4th LB like the COlts did some of.

I really think that Woodson, Collins, and Harris or Williams can shut down the WR by them selfs pretty easily. The TEs maybe a little harder but put Chillar or a S on them. And get Barnett to shadow the RBs in the pass game. That should shut down the pass game right there which the Colts couldn't do.

If you can shut down the pass than teams can solely focus on that run offense and stop it.

Also the Titans can be beat be the TE if the TE can spread the middle deep. Or WR in a 4 or 5 WR sets could do that same thing.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago

Get the SS in the box. Or take out the SS and put in a 4th LB like the COlts did some of.

I really think that Woodson, Collins, and Harris or Williams can shut down the WR by them selfs pretty easily. The TEs maybe a little harder but put Chillar or a S on them. And get Barnett to shadow the RBs in the pass game. That should shut down the pass game right there which the Colts couldn't do.

If you can shut down the pass than teams can solely focus on that run offense and stop it.

Also the Titans can be beat be the TE if the TE can spread the middle deep. Or WR in a 4 or 5 WR sets could do that same thing.

"beast" wrote:

Yeah that sounds like something they could do. Correct me if im wrong, so you're saying pretty much try playing man-to-man on the receivers, and have the safeties help with the run and do some safety blitzes. And of course then this is where bigby will come in hand. After watching the titans/colts game i noticed the titans rarely threw the deep ball. So alot of this would make sense.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

Yeah that sounds like something they could do. Correct me if im wrong, so you're saying pretty much try playing man-to-man on the receivers, and have the safeties help with the run and do some safety blitzes. And of course then this is where bigby will come in hand. After watching the titans/colts game i noticed the titans rarely threw the deep ball. So alot of this would make sense.

"beast" wrote:

Well I didn't say blitz. This team isn't a blitzing team, they look bad when they do. Not sure if it's bad coaches bad system and/or both I wouldn't say blitz anybody other than maybe one of OLBs a hand full of times or less.

But basically I'm saying keep Collins deep let both CBs play man to man. Let the SS and/or OLB(s) worry about the TE(s) and Barnett should stay with the RB.

I think that should stop most of the Titans passing game unless the pass rush completely sucks.

Also spread the Titans defense out with 3 or 4 guys that can go deep weather it's WR or TE just have 3 or 4 guys that can go deep in ever plays and try to strech the defeners away from another and tyr to make it as many one on ones as you can.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Read the article abou the psychology.

They just put on a display on nationally telivised MNF.

They beat their big nemesis and now have a 4 1/2 game lead in their division.

They are set up for a fall. Overconfidence, not much incentive, little riding on the game for them, they are at home again, etc.

The Packers are in a divisional race coming off a bye week and should have more intensity, motivation, and health.

The Packers will be the stronger psychological team Sunday. The ntanginles are in the Packers favor.
blank
warhawk
15 years ago

I went over to one of their discussion boards. While some think that we are annointing ourselves (they have been lurking on some of our forums) the best 4-3 team ever, somewhat derisively. most are in agreement that we will be a tough team to beat. An over-riding theme with respect to what we think about them is that we are wrong in assuming that stacking the box against the run will work. Many have commented on how this strategy has been to the detriment of their opponents, especially the last two games. Those folks are very confident in the idea that Collins can toast us.

"dfosterf" wrote:

My thing is not about pounding our chests at how much better we are but looking at the situation and seeing clearly we are in a better place coming off a bye and going up against this team off a big win in a short week.

As far as Collins goes I think he will find defenders a lot closer to his receivers than he did Monday Night but to me for the most part Collins looked like the Collins I have seen for years and that doesn't throw any fear in me that's for sure.

I see another two picks coming our way because our coverage is going to make him throw it into a much tighter circle than just pushing out there to the sidelines where somebody is wide open. Not very good things happen for Collins when he has to throw it in tight places. Never has.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.