Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
I like and follow sports for many reasons. Sports are important to me because it is not something that is trying to influence the way that I think or live. As a rule, sports do not usually involve death and depressing political strife. There is more than enough of that everywhere else.

Sports allow the non-athlete to marvel and cheer-on a favorite athlete or team. As important as sports are, they are not so important that neighbor would threaten neighbor over one's support for a sport/team.

Sports are a healthy outlet to compete. Competing is a natural human thing. It may have begun when one fellow threw a rock farther than his brother. Sports promote (usually) good moral character. They teach many how to get along and work with others. For others it teaches one to stand on ones own feet. Sports also unite many communities and instill pride .

There are many more reasons to like Sports, please express your opinions here. I ask that we try to keep this a friendly thread and be good sports .

:computer:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
We always keep everything friendly around here. That doesn't need to be requested. Okay, wait, you're right, a couple do need such a reminder!!!! hah

I love Sports because I'm competitive by nature. It's also a release for me to participate in them and observing others set out goals and achieve them I find satisfaction in them and sometimes inspiration.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
9 years ago
I have always been competitive. Yet I never get mad if I lose.

As far as watching sports, it gives me an outlet. When "real life" gets bad, just having something to take your mind off your troubles for a while can help.
Although things like last nights Badger loss gave me more stress then relief!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
On the contrary to what you said, Smokey, sports IS a lot like politics/religion/international affairs etc.

The essence of spectator sports is US against THEM - if not actually Good against Evil, certainly the Good Guys from Our point of view versus the opponents, if not actually enemy. That to me is EXACTLY like politics, and THAT is why I like sports - the spectator type.

Actual sports to play, you can add to that exercise too, but mainly you can add to that the macho thing - "I'm better than you, and I'm gonna prove it by kicking your ass" - at tennis hahahaha - yeah, that sounds kinda stupid even to me, but you get the idea - COMPETITION, BABY!!!

BTW, there's an element of that in forum posting too - just ask the guy whose ass I kick so often hahahaha.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago

On the contrary to what you said, Smokey, sports IS a lot like politics/religion/international affairs etc.

The essence of spectator sports is US against THEM - if not actually Good against Evil, certainly the Good Guys from Our point of view versus the opponents, if not actually enemy. That to me is EXACTLY like politics, and THAT is why I like sports - the spectator type.

Actual sports to play, you can add to that exercise too, but mainly you can add to that the macho thing - "I'm better than you, and I'm gonna prove it by kicking your ass" - at tennis hahahaha - yeah, that sounds kinda stupid even to me, but you get the idea - COMPETITION, BABY!!!

BTW, there's an element of that in forum posting too - just ask the guy whose ass I kick so often hahahaha.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Well Tex, I enjoy reading your post. It helps to know where the far right of the Scale is.
Keep campaigning there Reverend-General .

:bigsmurf:
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Well Tex, I enjoy reading your post. It helps to know where the far right of the Scale is.
Keep campaigning there Reverend-General .

:bigsmurf:

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

If you have a position, please have the balls to state it hahahahaha.

Like Rush Limbaugh, I merely REFLECT the Good Normal points of view of Good Normal Americans - what they used to call Joe Sixpack/Reagan Democrats/regular people who just love things the way they are - including NFL football, the FREEDOM to watch it and comment any way we feel like on that or pretty much anything else, and the COMFORT and HIGH STANDARD OF LIVING to enjoy my big screen TV, my hot tub, playing tennis just about every day, NOT having to worry about money or being killed by terrorist attack or murdered either by criminals or rogue cops. THAT is NORMALCY. I suspect you enjoy similar stuff. WHAT have I ever said that smacks of "the far right of the Scale"?

Let the record show, YOU not I, dragged your pristine sports thread into filthy disgusting politics hahahaha.
Cheesey
9 years ago
Texas, don't you realize by now that SOME people think only THEIR opinions are worthy of being stated????

Especially if what you say might in any way "lean" towards the "right!"
Oh.....and did you ever wonder WHY it's called "the RIGHT?" It's because it IS right!!!::d
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago
Sports does not care about who tells the best lies for votes.
Sports does not preach one doctrine over another.
I can't recall countries going to war over sports.
Being a Muslim , or Jew, or Christian does not raise ones batting average.
There are some that have made Sports their religion, that is a sad thing.
There are some that use Sports to garner votes, that is also a sad thing.

Sports should be, IMO, something to play and/or watch because we joy in seeing the best part of humanity compete in a fair, and orderly fashion. We should celebrate the athletes and the games that they play , and disregard the color, religion, politics , origin of the players involved.

Support your team/teams, & enjoy the competition. Let the police/courts handle crime and punishment.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Sports does not care about who tells the best lies for votes.
Sports does not preach one doctrine over another.
I can't recall countries going to war over sports.
Being a Muslim , or Jew, or Christian does not raise ones batting average.
There are some that have made Sports their religion, that is a sad thing.
There are some that use Sports to garner votes, that is also a sad thing.

Sports should be, IMO, something to play and/or watch because we joy in seeing the best part of humanity compete in a fair, and orderly fashion. We should celebrate the athletes and the games that they play , and disregard the color, religion, politics , origin of the players involved.

Support your team/teams, & enjoy the competition. Let the police/courts handle crime and punishment.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I agree with most of what you said, Smokey.

Point of fact, I'm pretty sure there was a border war in Central America, I think, several decades ago that started over a soccer game. And if you visit Fort Michilimackinac, as I did about 53 years ago, you can read about a war between 2 Indian tribes that started over a La Crosse game.

Olympic judging has a LOT to do with politics. Also, the Muslims killing or threatening Jews in the Olympics has a long history - Munich in '72 being just the tip of the iceberg. And you can go farther back with Hitler and Jesse Owens, etc.

Anyway, I say AGAIN, it was YOU, not me, that brought politics into this thread. For me, it's all about COMPETITION, both playing sports and being a fan. THAT most certainly transcends anything political.

BTW, you never replied where you get off saying I am somehow "right wing" - rather than just REFLECTING the views of Good Normal Americans, as my signature says.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.