nerdmann
9 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Perhaps you've asked yourself what the Green Bay Packers would have done if they had been in the Seattle Seahawks' shoes at the New England Patriots' 1-yard line with the final seconds of Super Bowl XLIX ticking way.

Would coach Mike McCarthy have done like the Seahawks and called a pass play? Or would he have given the ball to one of his bruising backs, Eddie Lacy or John Kuhn?

History tells us either option would have been in play.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Give to Kuhn, pass, pass kick.

What were the two sequences in the first half of the Seahawks game?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I didn't much care, but I was slightly rooting for NFC over AFC, so I let out a big "WTF" when Wilson passed it, even before the interception. (BTW, I'm amazed that nothing has been said on TV, here, or anywhere that the play was OBVIOUS pass interference).

What would the Packers have done? It would be a less stupid move for the Packers because our O Line is notoriously bad in short yardage and because Lacy doesn't jump cut to daylight like Lynch. If a team does choose to pass in that situation, they should 1. do it under center with play action and 2. throw it outside - not into the huge cluster of bodies in the middle playing to stop the run.

I think the Packers would have run Lacy, not gained an inch, called time out, and passed it for a game-winning TD on the next play.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
Hopefully not that razzle dazzle shit we did with Cobb against the 49ers last year.

I think that Kuhn would be the call and against the Pats maybe it would have worked.

Mister negative in me would say we would have ran an illegal procedure and then followed it up with a 6 yard TD pass to Cobb or Nelson.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
Nothing has been said because it wasn't pass interference. DB is allowed to hit the WR at the line of scrimmage. Plus DB has a right to the ball also. No PI.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Nothing has been said because it wasn't pass interference. DB is allowed to hit the WR at the line of scrimmage. Plus DB has a right to the ball also. No PI.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Totally agree. DB was playing the ball.

texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

When the ball is in the air? I don't think so. And he wasn't going for the ball when he made the hit.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
With a healthy Rodgers, I would have expected a play action rollout pass on 2nd down.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

When the ball is in the air? I don't think so. And he wasn't going for the ball when he made the hit.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Sorry. We must have watched different games.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Sorry. We must have watched different games.

The ball just accidently stuck onto his hands.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
warhawk
9 years ago
I will tell you what ARod would have done. After the long pass he would have run down the field in hurry up mode and thrown a slant pass from the 5 for an easy TD while NE was looking around wondering what happened. NE was in shock mode after that pass and it was a perfect time to go for the throat. That is Arod's first instinct after a long pass play. Get down field and lined up and stick the knife in 'em.

Instead Seattle calls a time out. They were so lucky to have the ball down there in the first place but from that point on I didn't think they did anything right really. They called their 2nd timeout, ran the ball on 1st down keeping the clock ticking, and pretty much put themselves in a position where a pass on 2nd down was the only option to get four plays out of it.

So my thinking goes back to 1st down and I think GB throws the ball right there and it's game over. Of course, GB's personnel is much better suited to do this so I'm not saying Seattle should have necessarily done exactly that but the thread asks what the Packers would have done.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.