texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I see the thread title has changed hahahaha. It's no longer a sufficient answer to just go in the booth, pull the levers, open the curtain and go out. Kinda like roulette, the question is, do you just play the red or black? Or do you bet on particular numbers?

Regarding this Illinois thing sprouting up, I had to go to Yahoo Search just to find out who Madigan was. wpr, enlighten us please, what did he "do to the state"? (not a rhetorical question - I really don't know except that Wikapedia says he's a ruthless politician, etc. ) He sounds like one of the few Democrats I ever would have voted for (Wiki says his father's personal friend), Mayor Richard J. Daly (the older one).

That transitions right into the newly revised topic of the thread: voting by party or individual. Of course, I and most thinking people vote by individual, BUT, most of the time, virtually ALL of the time these days, with the increased polarization of party alignments, those individuals are in the same party. There used to be conservative Democrats, mainly in the south, although some like Daly sorta fit that description on some issues elsewhere; There used to be liberal Republicans - mostly in the east, where there tends to be a lot of libs - to a great extent, it's still that way, except they call themselves moderates now. IMO, this was a bad thing, because it allowed politicians to hoodwink a lot of decent normal voters who had outmoded reasons to vote by party.

Let me tell a true story: Long ago, about 1989, I think, our local Congressman, a multi-term liberal Democrat named Chet Edwards, came to my daughter's middle school - she was in 7th grade. He spouted a bunch of crap about how a politician should be an "opinion leader" and "educate" voters to come to his point of view. My sharp little daughter said to the guy, "I think a Congressman should vote for the stuff the people in his district want or don't want". (no, I didn't put her up to it - I didn't hear about it until it was over). Mr. Edwards mumbled something about having an office in the district to address people's problems, but basically dodged the question. The next election or maybe the one after that, the good conservative Texans in our district FINALLY threw the bum out, but only after he had survived almost two decades of getting voted in because so many in those days voted straight Democrat in the south.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Smokey
9 years ago
All political and religious threads belong in the out of bounds category ! [duh]
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

All political and religious threads belong in the out of bounds category ! [duh]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You keep saying that; WHY? Is it your usual practice to try to limit freedom? Or are you just making an exception in this case? What do you have against intelligent civil discussion of topics of significance, and giving those topics maximum exposure?
Smokey
9 years ago

You keep saying that; WHY? Is it your usual practice to try to limit freedom? Or are you just making an exception in this case? What do you have against intelligent civil discussion of topics of significance, and giving those topics maximum exposure?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

A Sports Forum is not the place for Politics or Religion , if however you feel compelled to post on such subjects, an Out of Bounds Category is provided. If you want to campaign your views, put up a sign in your yard or go knock on your neighbors door or find a Forum dedicated to Politics or Religion. As it is, most of us get enough from the media and don't really want to hear any more. You would not stand in the middle of a Sunday Church Service and denounce the Chicago Bears because it is not the proper place. Nor would you attain the floor at a City Council Session to preach a sermon.
Express your views all you want, just don't put your Sardines on my Peanut Butter Sandwich. 😳
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

A Sports Forum is not the place for Politics or Religion , if however you feel compelled to post on such subjects, an Out of Bounds Category is provided. If you want to campaign your views, put up a sign in your yard or go knock on your neighbors door or find a Forum dedicated to Politics or Religion. As it is, most of us get enough from the media and don't really want to hear any more. You would not stand in the middle of a Sunday Church Service and denounce the Chicago Bears because it is not the proper place. Nor would you attain the floor at a City Council Session to preach a sermon.
Express your views all you want, just don't put your Sardines on my Peanut Butter Sandwich. 😳

Smokey, I ask you again, did you read Wade's post earlier in this thread? People used this section of th eforum to post politics long before either you or I came along. There's a LOT of non-football stuff in here, some of it started by you. Silly stuff like your "one word" thread is just as bothersome to me as politics and religion apparently are to you, but I don't try to piss on what you enjoy. When people post a bunch of crap about their personal problems in here, it is particularly annoying to me, but I don't rain on their parade either by trying to get it restricted or whatever.

For the record, when I used to go to church, I talked about football stuff a lot, and politics too. And while I can't stand either sardines or peanut butter, I do enjoy some weird combinations of food you wouldn't believe. Each to his own; Live and let live.

IronMan
9 years ago

As it is, most of us get enough from the media and don't really want to hear any more.

Then don't read political threads. Problem solved. If someone put a plate of shit in front of me, I would say "No thanks". You're the type of person who would sit there and eat it, and complain about it while you were eating it.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Telling everyone about your political views really belongs in a completely different category, this forum needs to remain Religiously and Politically neutral.

Please place this thread in the restricted category, Please.

...................Add more Smileys Please !!.............

Your concern and comments are appreciated. However, this is Random Babble and precisely where such topics belong, hence why I (the guy who kinda pays the bills and stuffs 🙂 ) put it here. [grin1] I think it would be a good idea to post a Category Rules or something of that ilk in each category to be more clear to avoid confusion. Thank you for the heads up, that will be added to the "To Do List".

Adding more smileys is not on the list of things to do, but if you find one you like just let us know.

NOW, lets get back to the actual topic here people! [whip] [whip]
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago

I know you disagree. Virtually all of my friends and family do. My sister is starting to come around, but other than that...well, the best I hear is that I'm an "impractical idealist". :)

Re: last 6 years. I see the point. I just lack your optimism.

Younger Bush was a major disappointment to me. I voted for him once, but couldn't the second time. And I keep forgetting I did vote for McCain, based more on my impression of his character as a POW here than any real confidence in his policy-maker: I saw BO as yet another in a long line of Chicago machine politicians (i.e., corrupt) and a wooly-headed liberal know-nothing that first election; and since character is big to me when it comes to politicos, I voted for the GOP that time. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Romney the second time. He struck me, still does, as a sleazy used car salesman type. And, frankly, if the American people couldn't see through BO's pretending after 4 years, I felt (still do) that we are doomed. Voting for empty words packaged and lauded by the illiterati once is bad enough; repeating the mistake is, to my mind, mind-boggling.

For the record, here is my presidential voting record:

1976: Eugene McCarthy Okay, this one was true youthful idealism, plus I had had two long extended conversations (drove him to and from an airport) with him that fall. If had a do-over, would have voted for Ford.
1980: Reagan.
1984: Reagan. Height of my card-carrying GOP days.
1988: Bush the Elder. Always thought more of him than Reagan, actually. Character wins for me.
1992: Bush again.
1996: Dole. Another character candidate. In some ways the last candidate I've seen "worth" voting for.
2000: Bush the Younger. Basically decided "least of evils" this time.
2004: "None of the above." Couldn't fill in the Bush blank again. As for Kerry, I wanted to give him credit for his pre-anti-war military record, but I couldn't. Everything that is wrong with mainstream politics of the east coast variety, IMO.
2008. McCain. Obama? Empty. Biden. Yuck. Character worth the shot, even though had some substantial policy disagreements with him.
2012. "None of the above." Sat in the booth wondering "Romney?" for awhile, but couldn't do it.
2016. It won't be for Hillary. Other than that, I have no idea. Hope NOTA isn't necessary, but fear it will be.

I agree about the disaster that is the current administration. The notion that there are *any* people outside of their immediate families who think they are worthy of the offices they occupy simply appalls me.

But if the course of the presidents of my lifetime (starting with Eisenhower) is any indication, there's a good bet that whoever comes next *can* be worse. (Certainly Hillary could be.) And that, I submit, is .... well, I can't think of a term negative enough.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I always enjoy your thoughtful answers.

I too, thought the most of Bush the elder, though I still think Reagan did more for this country in his place and time.

Smokey
9 years ago
See you all after the elections, when this forum may be able to get back to sports. I still don't see where politics or religion belong in a sports forum.[whip]
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago
see ya You should open your own site that complies with your philosophies.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.