Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081017&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=310170055&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]How good would the Green Bay Packers be with Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner on their roster?
Advertisement

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson had opportunities to trade for those star players over the past 18 months, but ultimately determined the price was too high.

Gonzalez, a Pro Bowl tight end with the Kansas City Chiefs, was being shopped around earlier this week before the NFL trade deadline. In the end, the Chiefs' demand for a second-round draft choice slammed the door on a possible deal.

Chiefs General Manager Carl Peterson said no team came close to meeting his asking price. The most the Packers reportedly were willing to give up for Gonzalez was a third-round pick.

It's good to covet draft picks like Thompson does. In light of the three-year reign of error by previous GM Mike Sherman, who tossed away draft choices like used chewing gum, the Packers needed someone in charge of the football operation that didn't forget the big-picture view of the roster.

But the knock against Thompson is he sometimes clings to draft picks too tightly.

Former Packers GM Ron Wolf wasn't afraid to peddle high picks if he thought the timing was right. He gave up a first-rounder in 1992 for an unknown quarterback named Brett Favre. Three years later, he traded a second-rounder for Pro Bowl tight end Keith Jackson. Both moves contributed to the Packers' Super Bowl XXXI title.

"The bottom line was, if you really wanted a guy, go get the guy," Wolf told me last year in a discussion on his trade philosophy. "So what if you gave too much? You would try to make that up some other way. The key was, make sure you got the guy you wanted to get."

Is Thompson's unwillingness to gamble high draft picks on star players holding the Packers back?

In the case of Gonzalez, the answer is a resounding no. The tight end is near the top of his game, but at 32, is going to hit the wall fairly soon. If Gonzalez were the only piece that separates the Packers from completing their Super Bowl puzzle, he would have been worth a second-rounder. That no doubt was part of Wolf's thinking when he acquired Jackson, who was 29 at the time.

Although Gonzalez would have given the Packers' offense a short-term boost, the team remains some distance from fielding a championship-caliber defense, partly due to injuries. That second-rounder can be better used in next year's draft to either bolster the defense or shore up other needs.

Thompson faced a similar decision in the spring of 2007 when he needed a running back to replace the departed Ahman Green. Despite Turner's backup status, the Chargers reportedly were asking for a first-round draft choice.

There is no indication the Packers seriously considered acquiring Turner for such a steep price. Although Turner ranks second in the NFL in rushing with Atlanta this season, the Packers found their go-to back, Ryan Grant, for the clearance-rack price of a sixth-round pick and used their first-rounder on defensive tackle Justin Harrell.

Forget for a moment that Harrell has been largely unavailable and ineffective. The Packers have a desperate need at that position, and if Harrell comes off the injury list and plays to his potential, Thompson will look like a genius for passing on Turner.

Thompson doesn't come off looking nearly as good for his failure to acquire Moss last year. For the ridiculously low price of a fourth-round pick, Moss could have been a Packer. He went to New England instead and had a monster season with 98 catches, 1,493 yards and 23 touchdowns.

I'm convinced the Packers would have made it to the Super Bowl with Moss on the roster last season. Raiders owner Al Davis revealed recently that Thompson had doubts about Moss' ability to run, which helps explain why the Packers GM was reluctant to pull the trigger on that deal.

You win some and you lose some. That's life in the NFL.

Pretty good article, but from what Ted has said about Moss, he thought Moss was a Packer and the Patriots came in and gave the Raiders a better pick and did not give the Packers a chance to match it.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
15 years ago
My belief is that Ted has reached his peak with the Packers with his philosophy.
The time has come IMHO to get after some trades and free agents and stop hoarding draft picks.
I think this team is on the cusp of greatness but more draft picks are not giong to get us over the top.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

My belief is that Ted has reached his peak with the Packers with his philosophy.
The time has come IMHO to get after some trades and free agents and stop hoarding draft picks.
I think this team is on the cusp of greatness but more draft picks are not giong to get us over the top.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I agree. Enough with this taking draft picks from everyone. We need to start getting some veteran leadership on this team. We will have some in years to come, but this team I feel can win NOW, but needs more veteran leadership.

I think Tony G would have been a solid leadership guy for the team.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

I think Tony G would have been a solid leadership guy for the team.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I would of love him as well, but it's not like we didn't go after him, we were tired for the highest offer team that Tony was willing to be traded to.

And the rumor is that the Chiefs GM raised the price with 10 minutes before the trade deadline which I think the NFL wants to have all of the paperwork into them before the deadline and 10 minutes isn't a lot of time to get paper work done and send in.

Also there is a rumor that the Chiefs GM or Owners really didn't want to trade him but tried half heartedly to look was out there just to make Tony happy. Not saying it's true but it's out there.
UserPostedImage
millertime
15 years ago
This team would be crazy with those three, but hind sight is always 20-20. Ted Thompson did what was prudent and may have been the correct choice.

I do believe that this is a team that is prepared to win now and Ted Thompson might need to change his philosophy in the near future. TT's been great so far, which is why we have YOUNG quality depth at a lot of key positions. We are starting to lose some of the younger, quality guys that Ted Thompson brought in through the draft (like Abdul Hodge) because we are replacing them with more young depth through the draft.

Now is the time to makes some moves. We have the depth to recover if Ted Thompson misses on some free agents. I would love to see Ted Thompson ink a franchise guard (or two) this offseason and a stud DT (Albert Haynesworth anyone???)

The thing I like about Ted is that he's willing to trade picks if the right players are involved (eg. Moss, Gonzalez, Grant). He even traded up to grab Jeremy Thompson last draft. He's willing to shift his stance if it produces a better team. Hopefully, he'll do that next Spring.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Turner, we couldn't have got at all. I believe their GM AJ Smith said it was going to be two 1sts or nothing. They were willing to ride him that last year and get nothing in return for him.

Moss, Ted thought he had the deal done, but the Patriots came in and took it.

Tony G, Again, Ted thought the deal was done and then was pressured into raising his side of the deal.

I like Ted as a GM, but I think he's a poor salesman at times.
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

Moss, Ted thought he had the deal done, but the Patriots came in and took it.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm not saying I remember everything or even close, but I don't remember anyone with any knowledge on the inside has said they thought it was a done deal like they did in Tony G case.

I'm not sure Ted Thompson thought it was a done deal.

Also I still blame Moss for this somewhat. Because Ted Thompson has shown he doesn't like guys that don't behave which is something I like, and Moss with out a doubt shown that he doesn't behave including quiting on the Raiders.

Then when Ted Thompson went to talk to Moss (who really wanted to get out of oakland) hung up on TT...

I'm sorry but that would make me want to trade for him less no matter how talented he was.

Tony G, Again, Ted thought the deal was done and then was pressured into raising his side of the deal.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have heard that the Packers thought this one was done.

I like Ted as a GM, but I think he's a poor salesman at times.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The problem could be that Ted Thompson isn't even trying to be a salesman. I mean he hasn't tired to sale the fans on liking him but just did his job.
Ted Thompson doesn't seem like the sales type at all.

He's the more old school type.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Ted Thompson was asked in an interview something like ...

Q: After day one of the draft, did you think Randy Moss was a Packer?
A: Yes.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
15 years ago
Is this the "The NFL can be just like Madden!" thread with everyone pretending to know what's going on and being armchair GMs?

I love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Al Davis is now a reliable source? If it hadn't been for that highly entertaining trainwreck of a press conference a few weeks back, I'd have sworn he had died years ago and the Raiders were being run by a secret committee.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (11h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (16h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (16h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (16h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.