buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

For folks who saw the game, how did Harris look on kickoff returns? Did we get any closer to finding our punt returner?

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Harris really didn't have many chances, he took the opening kickoff about 4 yds deep in the end zone, backup RB for Rams made a nice solo tackle just as he was breaking to the outside, at the 15, he had a little space if he would have made it to the sidelines.

I missed the return after The Rams scored, those were the only 2 times they kicked off.

Janis was 1st PR up, he never got a chance to return a kick, he did catch the ball, which is the most important thing.

Adams had 2 chances in 2nd half the first was a ball that bounced high in the air, he made a good decision to grab it, but instead of just going foward and get what he could, he danced a little a and ended up losing 3 yds.

His 2nd attempt was better, had a little room, made a clean catch and went straight up the field for about a 10yd gain.

I gotta believe if Janis keeps impressing at WR, he will ultimately get the shot at being #1 PR.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Thanks to NFL Network, I got to see 'em play this week.

It seemed like we played our backup WRs in reverse order - the least likely coming in early, then Adams and Janis coming in late. That may have been a factor in Janis and Adams looking so good. They were impressive, though. Dorsey did all right, and White, who I had a low opinion of going in, wasn't too bad.

I attribute the lack of pass rush early to the Packers not showing anything too fancy - I hope so anyway. When the first teams were in there, it still seemed like the Safety play was not good enough, not to mention both Tramon and Shields messing up at Corner. For the most part, we got away with it, though. I had the St. Louis broadcasters on NFL Network, and several times, they cited their players not having it as easy this week as their first game - Gilbert for one, and obviously their third QB, Davis. So our D must have been doing something right.

One player I have criticized a lot has been Brad Jones. I thought he looked decent today, though. Or maybe it was just low expectations. None of the other ILBs looked all that great. I hope they use Elliot and maybe Hubbard at OLB earlier in the game next time to see if they were that good or just going against total crap.

Everybody who it set up for comparison to Raji seems to outplay him. I wonder what the chances - slim and none? - of Pennell actually taking Raji's spot. There, too, was Pennell that much better? Or just playing against somebody worse? It seemed like he played one series against the Rams first O-Line.

DuJuan Harris impressed me; Hill did a little bit against lesser defenders; And Perkins did not look like anything special. I'm curious to see if Neal looks like he's worth keeping.

I know they mostly wanted to give all 3 QBs a workout in the hurry up. I wonder, though, if we will see a lot more of it in games. I'd like to see that. It would seem to me that having a D that ain't a liability is a key to basically lengthening the game by going hurry up. I have always talked against a run first or run-heavy offense because it decreased the chances for Aaron Rodgers. However, going hurry up allows for a lot of runs and still throwing a lot - assuming you can move it and keep the ball.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Have to remember, this was still a preseason game, after the starters got their 2 series in on offense, then it basically became evaluation time.

EDIT: " It's worth noting that, as Rodgers said, the Rams played "very vanilla"on defense.

The Packers wanted to give Tolzien a chance to play with the #2's.

Looks like Dorsey, Sheppard,Harper, White, and Gillette are all fighting for #6 spot(if they keep 6), or a shot on the PS.

There were some plays made, but nothing jaw dropping.

They all played with Tolzien at QB.

Getting clearer by the day that Adams and Janis are locking up the #4 and #5 wr positions.

They did not get much work with Flynn last week, (weather being a huge factor), looks like Mike wanted to see Adams and Janis work with Flynn as much as possible.

Makes a huge difference when a team actually has 2 QB's who are ligitemately fighting for the backup spot.

I know you don't really like Raji, but if you take another look at the play where Jones and Hawk dropped the Rams rb in the backfield, it was because Raji took on 2 O-lineman and allowed them their shot.

Your comment on Vanilla D is spot on when it came to the starters, I don't think they blitzed at all until the backups were in.

Barrington looked to be calling the plays for the D when he was in for Hawk, he had the nice sack, and is looking more comfortable on the field.

I thought it was encouraging to hear how good The Rams were last week against The Saints running the ball, and could generate virtually nothing against The Packers 1's.

Neal is running out of time, depending on how serious his injury really is, he is fast becoming a candidate for the PS or they end up IR'ing him for a year.
He was impressive last week when he got his shot against Tenn.

Pennel is making a strong case for making the team, if he does, he will be backing up Raji, you have to remember, Pennel was going against lesser talented player, but since he seems to shine whenever he is on the field, I take that as he is farther along than most thought he would be.

Elliot has got to send a BIG thank you note to that Ram OT who looked like a statue against him. Probably got the guy a spot on the PS or a job in the NFL with another team.
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
It wasn't the Rams at full force but I don't think that dimishes how impressive that opening drive was. The 2nd was as well; It just sucks about the red zone penalty. "Gotta clean that up" :)

Guion will be back this week from what I hear, so now it will really be a battle between him and Pennel for that DT slot. Pennel really stood in the Titan's game. I'll be rooting for the guy.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

It wasn't the Rams at full force but I don't think that dimishes how impressive that opening drive was. The 2nd was as well; It just sucks about the red zone penalty. "Gotta clean that up" :)

Guion will be back this week from what I hear, so now it will really be a battle between him and Pennel for that DT slot. Pennel really stood in the Titan's game. I'll be rooting for the guy.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

After I inserted that quote and re-read it I realized it made it seem I was taking away from what the offense did last night on their 1st 2 drives, not my intent, just taking note that it was a pre season game.

Aaron saying Rams were "vanilla" tells me he was on top of things and was ready to make checks if needed.

The Packers will gain quite an advantage if they do not substitute on offense and run the hurry up by keeping the opposing teams from changing their defensive packages.

No penalties, no huddle will wear out a defense very quickly.
evad04
9 years ago

Kinda evens out? You knew that wasn't true when you typed it. Just because we play a bunch of late rounders and UDFA's doesn't mean they're the equivalent of what you would've gotten out of guys in Rounds 1-3.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. The important part when we trot out 11 guys to play defense is whether or not they can play. If you're argument is simply that we could use better players, I won't disagree. Defense has been an overall disappointment of late. But if it's a real problem that our producers aren't all Round 1-3 guys, then I can't help you. No one can.

There is ZERO inherent value to a player based on where they were taken. You say late rounders aren't the equivalent of what you'd get out of guys in Round 1-3? If they are better players, then, um, they're better players.

Once more -- go ahead, do it, I dare ya -- go back and look at first round picks over the years. Across the board, across franchises, there are way more turds than Pro Bowlers.

We are fortunate we are able to find decent players late and off the street or we'd really be hurting on D. Still, our saving grace is our QB. I don't know why, it was only a pre season game, but this game vs. St. Louis had the feel of Atlanta in the playoffs to me. It just felt like Rodgers was going to do whatever he wanted. We're pretty good based on that alone.

Don't forget that though Rodgers was a Greek god in that game, it took an interception on the last play of the first half -- from an UDFA, no less -- to break the game open.

Hit on your 1st rounders... and your defensive picks. Ted Thompson hasn't just not been good...he's been unacceptably bad. So bad he has 2 UDFA's starting at CB. The first rounders we do have have been nothing but average outside of Clay.

You should be testier because the failure of your 1st rounders is an impediment a big one.

You make it sound like, again, having an UDFA out there on the field is a bad thing. Say we draft a corner in the first round. Then we bring in a UDFA. The UDFA is better in competition. I say we've just found a starting CB. You say we ruined a first-round pick. In the words of Dave Mason, "We just disagree."

And to the point about Ted Thompson not hitting on defensive backs -- I disagree. Hayward, Shields, Hyde, Tramon, House, Burnett. That's a solid defensive backfield. Burnett has the spotlight on him after a crappy 2013 campaign -- that's true. And the jury is still out on Ha-Ha.

Just imagine if we were the Lions... Stafford, Bush, Suh, Megatron, Fairley, Ansah, Reiff, How bad would Detroit be without those former 1st rounders?

Because I value my sanity, I'm going to skip on imagining if we were the Lions. I don't think I could handle the despair. But while we're on the topic -- I wouldn't look to Detroit for any lesson on how to build around first-round talents. They're an awful franchise -- not to mention it's easier to hit on a stud like Megatron when you pick in the top 10 every year. And Fairley is fairly overrated, so I wouldn't include him in that list.

We have Rodgers and Matthews from Round 1... just imagine how awful we'd be without them... you saw it last year. Didn't appear to me the UDFA's and late rounders we hit on "kinda evened" things out for us.

We also have B.J. Raji and A.J. Hawk as solid but unspectacular starters. Though Hawk has made more of an impact as of late, it would be hard to ignore Raji's success on the XLV team.

So these horrible first-round misses on defensive players would be: Nick Perry in 2012 and Datone from last year. Those are the only first round picks spent on defensive players in the last four seasons (not counting Ha-Ha this year).

What the hell are you ranting about?

It's delusion to say 1st rounders aren't critical to success.

I looked up delusional on WebMD and now I'm starting to really freak myself out. Thanks for raising awareness.

I wish Nick Perry could stay on the field. I wish he made the transition to OLB more smoothly. I hope Datone can turn a corner in year two. I'm also willing to allow Ha Ha to, you know, play a little bit before I decide if he's any good.

Meanwhile, I'm going to celebrate guys like Casey Hayward (2nd round pick), Mike Daniels (4th) and Micah Hyde (5th).

I'm going to feel good about the prospects of Morgan Burnett (3rd), Davon House (4th) and Mike Neal (2nd).

I'm going to watch with intrigue to see how Sam Barrington (7th), Josh Boyd (5th) and Mike Pennel develop.

But here's what I'm NOT going to do -- relish every opportunity to exaggerate the effects of a couple of first-round misses (the latter of which, in Datone, is honestly a judgment made far too soon).

William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (9h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (12h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (13h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (16h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (16h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (16h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.