MintBaconDrivel
9 years ago
Looks like Aaron Rodgers has spent too much time in Colorado, if you know what I mean.

GREEN BAY — During training camp before the 2006 season, ol' Brett Favre raised a few eyebrows when he called that year's team "the most talented team that I've been a part of."

Favre would later take issue with the way the media portrayed his statement — and how some reporters ran to members of the 1996 Super Bowl XXXI championship team to get their takes on the pronouncement — and that the second part of said statement about the team also being "the most unproven, inexperienced team that I've ever played on" somehow got lost in translation.

Aaron Rodgers was in his second year as Favre's understudy when that little kerfuffle occurred, so you know that the Green Bay Packers' current quarterback — a guy who seldom says something without having thoroughly thought it through first — knew just what he was saying about his wide receivers on Tuesday.

"It's a deep group," Rodgers said following the team's third and final open organized team activity practice of the offseason. (There are two more closed OTAs on Wednesday and Thursday). "I think it could be as deep a group as we've had here."

Remember, the 2012 group was so deep that the team kept six receivers (Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Donald Driver and Jarrett Boykin) and was so talented that by season's end, Driver, the franchise's all-time leading receiver, was sixth on the depth chart.

Now, with Jennings in Minnesota, Jones in Oakland and Driver in retirement, this year's group consists of Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, unproven 2013 holdovers Myles White, Chris Harper, Alex Gillett and Kevin Dorsey, and three rookie draft picks: Second-rounder Davante Adams, fifth-rounder Jared Abbrederis and seventh-rounder Jeff Janis.

And that's where Rodgers, like Favre, had one caveat to go with his statement.

"It might not be the big names like we had in the past when we had the whole stable of guys, but I think you could definitely see us keeping six guys there in that position because we are pretty deep group," Rodgers added.

Favre made a similar receiver-specific comment in 2001, when he called Antonio Freeman, Billy Schroeder, Corey Bradford and a young Driver his deepest receiving corps. It'll be interesting to see what happens behind Nelson and Cobb, as Boykin (49 receptions) emerged last season but the other than White, who had nine catches last year, no one else has ever caught a regular-season pass. (Last year, Harper saw time on the 53-man roster; Gillett was on the practice squad; and Dorsey spent the year on injured reserve.)

"Obviously, Boyk coming along from last year is going to get a lot of looks, and then the young guys as a whole are coming along," Rodgers said. "I don't like to make a lot of predictions in helmets and shorts, but there's been a lot of plays made. Harper was making a lot of plays before he tweaked his hamstring (and missed Tuesday's practice). Davante's making some plays. All those guys are improving. I think really spots four through six, potentially, it's pretty wide open."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
I have the same feeling as Rodgers on the WRs. We may lose some of these guys just because there are not enough spots and we may not be able to hide them all on the practice squad. There are a lot of unknowns with rookies, but it appears we drafted WRs who are very good route runners. One of the positions where Rookies have an easier transition to the NFL is at WR and I am thinking 2 of our draft picks get a spot and have an impact.
DoddPower
9 years ago
Is there a better evaluator of wide receiving talent than Ted Thompson? Certainly not many.
musccy
9 years ago

Is there a better evaluator of wide receiving talent than Ted Thompson? Certainly not many.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Agreed, and I agree with Rodgers. They're obviously very unproven past #3, but the potential for this being a very serviceable group with good depth beyond Boykin certainly appears to be there so far from what has been reported.

nerdmann
9 years ago
Next year they'll be at that level. They're rookies right now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
StarrMax1
9 years ago

Have to agree that there is going to be some real talent that doesn't make The Packers.
Take out the veteran players and the draft picks, I see these 22 players fighting for 8 spots.

I figure the last 8 will make the team because of special team play.

Now there will be injuries, and a surprise cut here and there, but it will be intersting to watch this develop and see which of these guys Ted tries to get on the PS at the end of pre-season.

WR is the one position that I am betting other teams will be watching very closely when it come time for cuts.

41 Liaina, Ina FB.....1

58 Barrington, S. LB.....2
45 Doughty, Jake LB.... R
47 Elliott, Jayrone LB.....R
49 Hubbard, A. LB.....R
54 Lewis, Shaun LB.....R
55 Mulumba, Andy LB.....2
51 Palmer, Nate LB.....2
48 Thomas, Joe LB.....R

23 Franklin, John. RB.....2
26 Harris, DuJuan RB.....2
22 Hill, Michael RB.....2
34 Neal, Rajion RB.....R
36 Perkins, LaD. RB.....R

6 Dorsey, Kevin WR....2
1 Gillett, Alex WR....1
13 Harper, Chris WR....2
19 White, Myles WR....2

86 Bostick, Br. TE.....2
46 Lyerla, Colt TE.....R
80 Perillo, Justin TE.....R
85 Stoneburner, J TE.....2
.........................TOTAL.....22

Average # of players on roster each year
1FB, 10LB, 4RB, 5TE, 5WR
..........................TOTAL....25

# of players at position that should make team.(not 100% locks)
3+yr vets and draft picks
1FB, 5LB, 2RB, 3TE, 6WR
..........................TOTAL....17

22 Players fighting for 8 positions.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
As for the WR's...

Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis...I believe these 5 to be locks. I just wonder who might get that 6th spot if we keep 6? Harper has made some splashes. Janis has measurables that are up there, or better, than ANYONE at WR in the NFL. So, who would they keep as the 6th? It sounds like, to me, right now, if they cut either Janis or Harper both will likely be immediately snapped up.

TC should be fun. Please, don't let injuries make this decision easier than it should be.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

hardrocker950
9 years ago

As for the WR's...

Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis...I believe these 5 to be locks. I just wonder who might get that 6th spot if we keep 6? Harper has made some splashes. Janis has measurables that are up there, or better, than ANYONE at WR in the NFL. So, who would they keep as the 6th? It sounds like, to me, right now, if they cut either Janis or Harper both will likely be immediately snapped up.

TC should be fun. Please, don't let injuries make this decision easier than it should be.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It should be interesting to see how this turns out. No doubt about Nelson, Cobb and Boykin. Those three have proven that they can play. Harper had some good moments and should not be written off. As things stand right now - anything could happen. I am almost afraid to speculate beyond the obvious.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
The way I see it is Cobb, Nelson and Boykins=3 solid receivers. Since they're rookies Adams and Abby combined gives=1 receiver (as silly as that is). So that's 4 "receivers."
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
9 years ago

The way I see it is Cobb, Nelson and Boykins=3 solid receivers. Since they're rookies Adams and Abby combined gives=1 receiver (as silly as that is). So that's 4 "receivers."

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I like Janis too. His measurables are phenomenal.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (22h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.