Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=U0&Dato=20081014&Kategori=PKR01&Lopenr=81014136&Ref=AR&MaxW=260&MaxH=201&Border=0[/img_r]In the offensive meeting room on Monday, Aaron Rodgers 45-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings from the previous days game at Seattle was being played on the big screen.

Thats when Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin stopped the tape. He turned to running backs coach Edgar Bennett, who was beaming over the block running back DeShawn Wynn made on blitzing Seahawks safety Brian Russell that gave Rodgers the time to fire deep.

When the last time DeShawn Wynn got a rep at that? Philbin asked.

To which Bennett replied: Probably six weeks ago.

I said, That's my point, Philbin told the team. We put him in the game. We ask him to do the job, and the sucker did it. We need more of that.

That the Packers got it from Wynn was perhaps the surprise of the game. It capped a most unlikely turn of events for the second-year running back.

After a disappointing, injury-filled rookie season, the former seventh-round draft pick from Florida was released in August not on the final cuts of training camp but on the first of two mandatory cutdown dates.

At the time, most suspected the move was the end for Wynn in Green Bay and perhaps even in the NFL. Many chalked it up to an experiment failed, a flier on an oft-injured player who came in with a suspect work ethic that did not pan out.

Inside the Packers personnel offices, it was a different story.

Knowing there was no room for Wynn on their 53-man roster, they hoped they could keep him on the practice squad. To fend off interest from other teams, they cut him early, hoping those around the league would take that as a sign that Wynn wasnt worth pursuing.

They were straight with him when they cut him, said Wynns agent, Christina Phillips. They said this is what we want to do with him, and he was all right with that. He had a couple of other (practice squad) opportunities, not real serious ones, but he really wanted to stay there.

One, 10-play stint as a third-down running back Sunday against the Seahawks wont change a career full of injuries or stop questions about his willingness to fight through pain.

But at least Wynn has the chance to make amends.

He was elevated to the roster on the eve of the Seahawks game after backup running back Brandon Jackson fell ill with the flu. On Saturday, he signed a two-year contract worth the NFL minimum salaries ($370,000 this season and $460,000 in 2009). The only thing guaranteed was last weeks paycheck.

I know DeShawn took a lot of flack up there, but hes a very smart player, Phillips said. He realized in the NFL you only get so many opportunities. He already had one opportunity, and he knew he had to be ready for that second one if ever came along. He realized that he had to work harder and be more on top of the things that he had to be on top of.

For a time last season, Wynn was the Packers No. 1 running back. Jackson opened 2007 as the starter but sustained a shin injury in the third game. Wynn started the next four games, put up decent numbers (a 4.1-yard average) but injured a shoulder in Week 8 against Denver and was placed on season-ending injured reserve the next day. That followed a rookie training camp in which he missed time because of a stomach virus and a quadriceps injury.

The 2008 training camp was more of the same. He sustained a concussion and missed more practice time.

If you recall, the decision to move on, the only negative that I would say about DeShawn, was his availability, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. That factored into the decision of him being released at that time. He has come back and has done a great job.

As a member of the practice squad, Wynn didnt miss a practice and showed an attention to detail while playing on the scout team.

Hes done the little things like doing a great job in the jog-through playing linebacker, Philbin said. You can say, well what does that mean for playing the game? Those things carry over. He goes through the gauntlet running the ball better than anybody weve got. When you bust your butt, sometimes it bounces your way every once in a while.

It might be a stretch to say Wynn has come back as a different player, but there appears to be little doubt that getting released had an effect on him. Asked whether it humbled Wynn, Bennett said, I would think so. Philbin called it a little bit of a wake-up call.

What happens from here on is anybodys guess. Jackson is expected to play Sunday against Indianapolis and probably will return to his role as the No. 2 back behind starter Ryan Grant. Wynn could play on special teams and receive spot duty on offense. He didnt carry the ball against the Seahawks and caught one pass for 7 yards.

Another injury, even a minor one, could mean the end.

Accountability and availability, that was the biggest thing, Bennett said. When you look at him now versus last year, hes down 12 pounds. Hes under 230 pounds. Hes in the best shape of his life. When youre doing the practice squad the offense, the defense, opponent looks I think it helped him. I think hes in a position now to make the most of his opportunity.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
Super article. I glad Wynn is making the most of his 2nd chance. There are very few sure things in the NFL. It is a bit hard to understand how a 7th round draft pick would not be bust his butt on every play both in practice and in the game. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and contributes when called on.
UserPostedImage
shanks2122
15 years ago
good for wynn
never really had much hope for him but im glad to see him succeed a little
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago
The guy's got NFL talent. Nobody's ever doubted that. It's just a question of whether his body can hold up to the wear and tear of an NFL season. It would be great to have him stay healthy and do a good job for us this year.
blank
millertime
15 years ago
good read

i was wondering why we cut him so early. now it makes sense.

props Ted Thompson !
agopackgo4
15 years ago
nice to see someone take advantage of an extra chance..unlike some people.....Mr. Pac-Man...
Cheesey
15 years ago
I like Wynn, and hope he plays a big role in our teams success.
He's a brusier type of back.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

The guy's got NFL talent. Nobody's ever doubted that. It's just a question of whether his body can hold up to the wear and tear of an NFL season. It would be great to have him stay healthy and do a good job for us this year.

"Greg C." wrote:

I agree, but on the comment about his body not being able to hold up. I disagree. I think he needs to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured. Right now I think he's under the assumption that if his leg is sore, he's injured.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
15 years ago
He needs to talk to Mr. Rodgers
ChilliMaddensChilli
15 years ago
Reader's Digest version: Blumpkin got hurt
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (15h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (18h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (20h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (21h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.