play2win
9 years ago

Since when do we give any credence to "people"? First thing to remember is that a huge segment of Packer fans were not really Packer fans. They were favorites who worshiped at the altar of Kiln so the impression that you are thinking about is tainted at best.

So for me I am not rewriting history. (I know you are not implying that I am.) The day before the draft I would have been looking at other players. When Aaron fell THAT far there was only one player I wanted. I don't know why there even had to be a discussion. The only reason GB delayed making the selection was to wait and see if another team was going to offer them a ton of draft picks.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, only the blind Favreians couldn't see the wealth of talent that had just landed in Ted's lap.

Favre had been throwing the retirement thing around for 3 years prior to that draft and selecting Rodgers at that point made a great deal of sense. Even to myself, who really wanted one last great push to the Lombardi with a draft that addressed those particular team needs.

Really, just what the team needed to stay successful for another decade plus...

But I thought beast's last post was exceptional. Well done bro. The guy is doing what he loves, and is highly accomplished as our GM.
beast
9 years ago

So for me I am not rewriting history. (I know you are not implying that I am.)

Yeah I didn't quite know how to say it. My point was the perspective on drafting Rodgers in 2005 and now are different, simple because clearly Rodgers is one of the best QBs in the game now.

First thing to remember is that a huge segment of Packer fans were not really Packer fans. They were favorites who worshiped at the altar of Kiln so the impression that you are thinking about is tainted at best.

It might be tainted but what I remember is a lot of people (at least claiming to be Packers fans) wearing Packers gear, following the Packers and being upset with the Rodgers pick and criticizing it for most of the first two years. Maybe not on this site, but it was what I seemed to see.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

It might be tainted but what I remember is a lot of people (at least claiming to be Packers fans) wearing Packers gear, following the Packers and being upset with the Rodgers pick and criticizing it for most of the first two years. Maybe not on this site, but it was what I seemed to see.

Originally Posted by: beast 

They did. They wore the gear but most are gone. There was plenty of complaining here too. Most are gone.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

Minnesota seems to go with consensus guys early...and they've been more successful than us way up high. Yes, they've had their Ponder's... Moss, Harvin, AD, Patterson... guys who are difference makers and change games. Hard pressed to find 4 better going back 30 years for the Packers in the 1st round.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Really? Harvin is talented, but far overrated. Maybe if he could actually stay available, but a player offers no value on the bench, which is where he seems to end up more so than not due to injuries. Moss and Peterson are generational type players. Patterson is talented but hasn't proved much yet. He needs more time.

Even with that being said, I would still EASILY take Aaron Rodgers. Add to that a few other decent-to-good first round picks such as CM3, Hawk, Raji, Nick Perry, (top pick Jordy Nelson), and a litany of other great picks in others rounds, and I'll take the Packers past draft history every time. Yes, the QB position is that important. From my perspective, one great pick at QB brings much more value than a few other great positional players. A team simply has to have a QB, however that happens. Be it luck, skill, trades, grooming, etc. It has to happen. For that reason alone, the Packers have obviously came out on top, despite drafting later then the Vikings most of the past several years. Even if it could be argued that the Vikings have had better first round picks, who cares? They still haven't had better drafts overall, so they still lose. The draft is much more than the 1st round. Your point seems silly to me.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
My main issue with Ted Thompson is he has never consulted with me prior to acquiring a free agent or making a draft selection. How dare he!! How does he know I'm ignorant to the facts? I. Have. Played. Madden. And. WON IT ALL!!

I mean, c'mon, Madden domination since '90's has to count for something. Right? Ted? You hearing me? Ted???

I could have warned him about those Safeties he brought on board. Then again, so could have Stevie Wonder.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

My main issue with Ted Thompson is he has never consulted with me prior to acquiring a free agent or making a draft selection. How dare he!! How does he know I'm ignorant to the facts? I. Have. Played. Madden. And. WON IT ALL!!

I mean, c'mon, Madden domination since '90's has to count for something. Right? Ted? You hearing me? Ted???

I could have warned him about those Safeties he brought on board. Then again, so could have Stevie Wonder.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This does not even make sense. You create this board and invite people in to share their idea. uffda comes in and expresses his feeling and he gets bashed for doing so.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Datone Jones was consensus for where we picked? Wow. Just wow on that statement, Steve.

Bulaga was a LT prospect who wasn't going to be a LT in the pros... a much better fit for RT... so down the board he fell to be picked by us. We stopped the slide.

Hawk I don't even want to comment about, I'm still upset about that waste of an overall #5 pick, Perry by no means was anywhere near a consensus pick...he was a tweener and more toward a reach than a consensus. Raji was taken higher than he should've been but we were desperate for a NT.

Obviously, our perceptions are very different. I'm not a big Ted Thompson supporter or hater... he's middle of the road to me buoyed by the fact he hit on Aaron Rodgers. That is and will remain his saving grace. I love the guy late rounds and UDFA but can't stand him up high and have strong negative feelings for his inactivity in free agency.

The bashing doesn't bother me one bit... even if it's from the site's owner. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As off as you think mine are, it's the same for me regarding a lot of what I see here. Too much kool aid consumption in Packerland.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

This does not even make sense. You create this board and invite people in to share their idea. uffda comes in and expresses his feeling and he gets bashed for doing so.

The topic is about issues with Ted Thompson. I stated mine in a self mocking fashion and you're gonna take me to task for it? I am not sure what has crawled up your rooster tail the last few days my friend, but I hope it evacuates soon.

uffda udfa, I absolutely meant no bashing towards you whatsoever and if you have taken my post as such, I apologize. I do appreciate your contributions to the discussion board.

My post, which I felt was clear, is stating I want input on decisions although I have ZERO merit to request as such. Well, you know, other than whooping some ass in Madden for a couple decades. 🙂
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
Datone Jones:
#27 overall, CBS 
#27 overall, NFLDraftScout 
Packers pick, Walterfootball mock 
#29 mock draft, McShay 

Nick Perry:
#27 NFLDraftScout 
#27 overall, CBS

Packers Pick, NFL Network mock draft 

These guys were both legit forseen picks for GB or at least forseen as possible 1st round picks. If you think they came out of nowhere you weren't paying attention to those drafts much.

As far as Hawk you are moving the goalposts. Whether he was a good pick or not he was widely considered a good pick or the right pick at #5 at the time. Same thing with Raji at #9.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

The topic is about issues with Ted Thompson. I stated mine in a self mocking fashion and you're gonna take me to task for it? I am not sure what has crawled up your rooster tail the last few days my friend, but I hope it evacuates soon.

uffda udfa, I absolutely meant no bashing towards you whatsoever and if you have taken my post as such, I apologize. I do appreciate your contributions to the discussion board.

My post, which I felt was clear, is stating I want input on decisions although I have ZERO merit to request as such. Well, you know, other than whooping some ass in Madden for a couple decades. :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It seemed as if you were disagreeing with uffda's opinion on how Uncle Ted runs his team. Obviously none of us ,that I am aware of, have much first hand knowledge of these players. I totally missed the point of the sarcasm.

My apologies for misreading your post.

As for me, my mom's dementia issue weighs heavy on me along with the sibling "discussions" as to what is the best way to handle it and wondering what she will be like when my daughter is married 1 year from now but I was not trying to let it spill over here or anyplace else. I didn't realize my posts reflected it. I will try and handle it better.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (3h) : damn those vikings
beast (3h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (10h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (11h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.