wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

ESPN's Mel Kiper says the Packers will have their eyes on Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier with their first pick in the NFL draft May 8.

"The Packers get one of the more instinctive players in the draft, and they fill a void at linebacker next to A.J. Hawk with another Buckeye," writes Kiper in his latest mock draft. "Shazier is that modern linebacker who will play a little lighter but can shoot gaps upfield and also get through the trash and make plays sideline to sideline."

If Kiper sees Shazier as a playmaker for the Packers, he's not alone.

Several experts predict the Packers will tab Shazier with the No. 21 pick overall.

"Speed is a must if the defense is to improve. He has it," writes Pete Prisco at CBSSports.com.

JSOnline Blog  wrote:

The debate is over. It is Mosley Shazier. You heard it here.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
I am not really a big fan of Shazier, I think he'd be better off in a 4-3 where he'd have more open space to work with. In his games last year he looks like he's playing at like 210lbs he looks like a DB. He weighed 237 at the combine but I don't think that's weight he's going to be able to keep on. I just don't really think he's going to do too well in the clutter a 3-4 ILB has to deal with. Id rather have someone more stout in there. Mosely I like but I think he'd look better in AJ Hawks role and I don't know if they would complement each other that well (though I don't think that's a good enough reason to pass on him if he's available).
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
If the Packers select yet another failure LB from Ohio State, might as well start thinking about next years top 10 pick.

LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES TED THOMPSON!!
UserPostedImage
luigis
10 years ago
I don't like Shazier and I think there's no way for Mosley to fall to our pick.

I hope this is wrong!
Luis
play2win
10 years ago
Shazier is my top choice. We need the speed and instincts alongside Hawk to clean up in areas we have had essentially vacant since the loss of Bishop.

The game has changed a bit in that time too, and we have been falling victim to dynamic RBs and mobile QBs by a continued failure to stop the run.

IMO Shazier would be the forward thinking solution to many of our defensive problems. He plays run and pass equally well, has great size in pass coverage at 6-2 230, and is one of the fastest LBs in the draft. The guy is a tackling machine with great instincts, size and speed. He also knows how to get after the QB for sacks, particularly via inside rushes. He doesn't get mauled by blocks.

Ryan Shazier is my first choice on D in round 1.

143 tackles, 22.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 4 FFs, 4PDs, 6 QB hurries in 2013.

4.4-4.3 speed. This kid covers a LOT of ground and finishes plays.

115 tackles, 17 TFL, 1 INT, 5 sacks, 3 FFs, 11PDs in 2012.

15 career 10 tackle games.

You want to stop the likes of Kaepernick and Russell Wilson escaping the pocket? Tired of AP and LeShon McCoy running all over your back? Tired of TEs constantly finding openings in the middle of your Packers D? Ryan Shazier could be one of the top defenders to fix that.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Shazier is my top choice. We need the speed and instincts alongside Hawk to clean up in areas we have had essentially vacant since the loss of Bishop.

The game has changed a bit in that time too, and we have been falling victim to dynamic RBs and mobile QBs by a continued failure to stop the run.

IMO Shazier would be the forward thinking solution to many of our defensive problems. He plays run and pass equally well, has great size in pass coverage at 6-2 230, and is one of the fastest LBs in the draft. The guy is a tackling machine with great instincts, size and speed. He also knows how to get after the QB for sacks, particularly via inside rushes. He doesn't get mauled by blocks.

Ryan Shazier is my first choice on D in round 1.

143 tackles, 22.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 4 FFs, 4PDs, 6 QB hurries in 2013.

4.4-4.3 speed. This kid covers a LOT of ground and finishes plays.

115 tackles, 17 TFL, 1 INT, 5 sacks, 3 FFs, 11PDs in 2012.

15 career 10 tackle games.

You want to stop the likes of Kaepernick and Russell Wilson escaping the pocket? Tired of AP and LeShon McCoy running all over your back? Tired of TEs constantly finding openings in the middle of your Packers D? Ryan Shazier could be one of the top defenders to fix that.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

At 230 lbs, I like him as a Ronnie Lott type S.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

The debate is over. It is Mosley Shazier. You heard it here.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Somebody's going to get this right, I hope you are not the one.

I'm sure hoping Calvin Pryor or Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State fall to The Packers at 21.

Neither Mosley or especially Shazier grade out to be a #21 pick.

Shazier is an OLB, to think he can come to The Packers and be an immediate upgrade on the inside is just ridiculous.(WHO THE HELL IS MEL KYPER???)

Any of the below fall to 21 I think Ted drafts them, if none of these guys are available, look for Ted to try and find a trade partner to move down a bit or to move completely out of the 1st rnd and pick up extra 2nd and 3rd rnd picks.

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina(no way)
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State(slight possibility)
Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA(prob not)
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina(possible)
Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo( prob not)
Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama(slight possibility)
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh(could happen)
Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville(best chance of happening)

One thing I will guarantee is, if The Packers are talking about a guy now, probably not a very good chance they will be drafting him next week.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
10 years ago
I am a fan of of taking an ILB. It fills a need at ILB and it improves the DL.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
I can see a whole lot of crazy stuff going on when the whistle blows starting with Houston trading out of the #1 spot. Atlanta's been known to make major moves to get the guy they want and they are popping up in discussions to grab Clowney.

If the very early QB needy teams pass on qb's or trade out this could really get nuts. Teams will start grabbing the phones to get a trade done to get their guy.

With a lot of the QB's in this draft losing steam it throws everything off. Bridgewater, for example, was a big contender for the #1 pick a few weeks ago and he's not even on the map today.

I just have this feeling Day 1 may be much more eventful then all these teams sitting tight and taking the guy everyone thought they would.

"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
10 years ago
The read at Draftek and Jersey Al:

As the Draft nears, we come crawling back to the one player that makes the most sense for the Packers. Looking to improve team speed and aggressiveness on defense, Shazier is two, two, two picks in one. (Fans of a certain age will get that). After watching Packers linebackers not named Matthews fruitlessly try to lay a hand on Colin Kaepernick over the last two seasons, Green Bay drafts their "Kaepernick Killer." Combine his 4.4 speed with natural instincts for the ball and explosive closing acceleration, and the Packers' chances to get past the 49ers in the Playoffs instantly improve. A huge impact upgrade from AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp 

http://draftheadquarters.com/Seven-Round-Mock.htm 
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (7h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (9h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (12h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (13h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.