wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I know this is a hypothetical argument, but I don't like the premise....something can be done to ensure you win a Super Bowl on 5 year intervals, and the Packers aren't currently doing that. What is this magical formula for success? How can I say what I'd live with/accept if I don't know what the team is doing to somehow achieve this.

Are they selling the farm on FAs? I'm not a fan because they don't always pan out and it leads to cap hell.

Are they trading away 5 draft picks to get 3 first rounders? First rounders don't always pan out (J. Reyonlds, J. Harrell, T. Mandarich, T. Buckley...)

Settle for a mid-tear QB that you only have to pay 5-8mil/year on so you can spend more on other positions? Not a fan, I've loved watching Favre and Rodgers at their best.

Of course I'd love the Packers to win (at least) once every 5 years, I'd probably give up beer for that (OK, who am I kidding) but I also enjoy that the Packers are at least competitive each year and I'd much rather go into 5 off seasons with hope than just 1 out of every 5.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

musccy I said 5 years as a part of my post. sschind didn't limit it to any specific time period. Just winning the SB. You can say every 2 years or every 10 years. That is your choice.

As for how they do it, it doesn't matter. If they trade away all the picks for another 1st rounder or sign a bunch of FAs it doesn't matter. He is only saying they will win a SB guaranteed. What is it worth to you?

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I think I am on the same page as steve on this one. I would rather have a chance every year and be competitive than be awful for many years and be a winner. I will admit that I hate losing more than I like winning and I love winning. I would probably put up with players and coaches that I despise if that meant they put us over the top or perhaps some cap hell years that made us less competitive. An 0fer season. No way. A 0-16 season would hurt me more than a Superbowl win would make me happy. Don't know if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Of course this whole thread is fantasy. He started by saying there is no way to guarantee a SB. Don't get hung up on that people.

It is the off season. There is not a lot going on at this time. All we have to discuss is:

Which current players will they try and re-sign?
Which college players should they draft?
Which FA should they sign?
What does the team need to do to be more like ______?

After reading the posts so far I can see most people would rather float along hoping for something wonderful to happen instead of taking sschind up on his guarantee. Personally I find it a little silly but if that is what you want I don't care.

I guess it comes down to some people like to hunt squirrels and fish for crappie while others like to hunt Elm and go deep sea fishing.

Kanta I understand you saying how much you would hate the 0fer season. If they won the SB every 5 years I don't think I would like it either. But as I said, I could take it if it was only every 3 years. Keep in mind I sit int he stands for 2 of those games. I have a 8-10 hr drive plus a room and meals and gas and other expenses. I agree it would be painful.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

musccy I said 5 years as a part of my post. sschind didn't limit it to any specific time period. Just winning the SB. You can say every 2 years or every 10 years. That is your choice.

As for how they do it, it doesn't matter. If they trade away all the picks for another 1st rounder or sign a bunch of FAs it doesn't matter. He is only saying they will win a SB guaranteed. What is it worth to you?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

2, 5, or 10 years isn't the point to me either. My point is that even though this is a hypothetical question, it seems that the tone behind this and the previous thread was there was something that could be done to guarantee (or at least appreciably increase the chances) a SB and the Packers weren't doing that.

To answer the intent of this thread, I would not be comfortable with the team doing anything that could appreciably jeopardize the team's chances of being competitive each September.
musccy
10 years ago

After reading the posts so far I can see most people would rather float along hoping for something wonderful to happen instead of taking sschind up on his guarantee. Personally I find it a little silly but if that is what you want I don't care.

I guess it comes down to some people like to hunt squirrels and fish for crappie while others like to hunt Elm and go deep sea fishing.

I don't look at it so much as crappies vs. deep sea fishing. When I go musky fishing, I don't ever fish "numbers" lakes that have tons of small muskies in them. I also don't ever fish really deep cold oligotrophic lakes where you know there are giants but they're few and far between - I like to know I have a pretty good chance of catching one and although the potential for a monster isn't phenomenal, it is still there.
steveishere
10 years ago

Of course this whole thread is fantasy. He started by saying there is no way to guarantee a SB. Don't get hung up on that people.

It is the off season. There is not a lot going on at this time. All we have to discuss is:

Which current players will they try and re-sign?
Which college players should they draft?
Which FA should they sign?
What does the team need to do to be more like ______?

Kanta I understand you saying how much you would hate the 0fer season. If they won the SB every 5 years I don't think I would like it either. But as I said, I could take it if it was only every 3 years. Keep in mind I sit int he stands for 2 of those games. I have a 8-10 hr drive plus a room and meals and gas and other expenses. I agree it would be painful.

So you could basically just stop watching football for 5 years and just watch the Superbowl the 5th year and you'd be fine with that? Not me I enjoy the games and the struggle that teams go through. It's not just "floating along hoping for something wonderful to happen" it's enjoying watching good football every year. If you know your team is going to be shit for 4 years and then win the 5th year how is that enjoyable? It isn't it's miserable and for what? To see 53 guys get a superbowl ring, yipee good for them but that doesn't really do anything for me. Why even be a football fan in that case?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

2, 5, or 10 years isn't the point to me either. My point is that even though this is a hypothetical question, it seems that the tone behind this and the previous thread was there was something that could be done to guarantee (or at least appreciably increase the chances) a SB and the Packers weren't doing that.

To answer the intent of this thread, I would not be comfortable with the team doing anything that could appreciably jeopardize the team's chances of being competitive each September.

no there is not. Sschind even points out this is all hypothetical. To me that means we are just sitting around killing a few hours talking and pretending.

but I don't begrudge your point of view. If that is how you want to look at it I am ok with that.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
All this talk about a Super Bowl win every 5 years, come to think of it, we are still on track to do that, and what in between? 15-1, 11-5, 8-7-1 despite Rodgers being hurt - not too shabby. Now all we have to do is put together a SB win not even next year, but the year after next. That's doable even without all the improvements we have discussed ....... but let's get that FA Safety, maybe Ward, and let's finally not trade down, and hit on some LB draft picks, among other things. We do that, and it's a slam dunk, not a matter of everything falling right.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

So you could basically just stop watching football for 5 years and just watch the Superbowl the 5th year and you'd be fine with that? Not me I enjoy the games and the struggle that teams go through. It's not just "floating along hoping for something wonderful to happen" it's enjoying watching good football every year. If you know your team is going to be shit for 4 years and then win the 5th year how is that enjoyable? It isn't it's miserable and for what? To see 53 guys get a superbowl ring, yipee good for them but that doesn't really do anything for me. Why even be a football fan in that case?

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I don't support GB just because they win more than they lose. I will still watch in the "off years".

And who said they would have a crappy team all 4 years? In my scenario they are 10-6 in year 4. Even year 3 at 8-8 there will be some pretty exciting games. Year 2 as well. They will have more near misses than hits but there will still be exciting plays and exciting games.

So if I use the narrow interpretation that many of you are using, you are saying you would not be a fan of the Packers unless they win. I will be. And I will be backing it up by more than just sitting in front of the tv or buying a t shirt or sweatshirt every once in a while.

Of all the posts made I did like the comment steveishere made or at least I think he made it when he said it would not be as exciting knowing that THIS is the year that they win it all. That it would like of ruin it for him.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
hahahaha I still don't buy it. We go 10-6 next year with a promise of a SB win the next season? That wouldn't suck, but it wouldn't be enough to satisfy me either. Take any individual game against anybody, even Seattle - the current flavor of the year; I just can't see the Packers not winning - assuming Aaron Rodgers is playing, and that is with the current crappy D, the marginal O Line, etc. Add some quality in a few key spots to that, and how could we not do a lot better than 10-6?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I don't look at it so much as crappies vs. deep sea fishing. When I go musky fishing, I don't ever fish "numbers" lakes that have tons of small muskies in them. I also don't ever fish really deep cold oligotrophic lakes where you know there are giants but they're few and far between - I like to know I have a pretty good chance of catching one and although the potential for a monster isn't phenomenal, it is still there.

no problem. But I'll bet some people (maybe the pros) would prefer to spend their time on the big lakes looking for the record breaker. Others simply want to catch fish any fish.

I am comfortable enough with the team's past success that I am not afraid of enduring a few bad years to get the big prize.

After 15 years and 3 SBs with some mediocre seasons mixed in perhaps I would go back to wanting a team that consistently finished at 10-6. Maybe I would lower my spread from 5 years to 2 or 3 years as the max range of acceptability.

Since this is all make believe none of this really matters.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (2h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (2h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (3h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (3h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (14h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (15h) : damn those vikings
beast (15h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (22h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (23h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (23h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.