DakotaT
10 years ago

This is what Ted Thompson has generally been very good at. Not letting the guys he really thinks are the key players hit the open market. If he thinks he wants Tramon around for the next 4 or 5 years he will get a restructuring done. If he is willing to part ways after next season he may cut the dude this season and save 7.5 million dollars or he may keep him around and count the whole 9.5 against the cap.

My guess is that if he keeps him around for the full amount this year (which I doubt will happen) he will let him walk next year.

Williams won't have to give up any money at all and he will get any SB in one fell swoop rather than spread out over the entire season. Plus he has the satisfaction of knowing he will be secure for the next 4 or 5 years. That's what he gains by restructuring.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

And then we get to watch a declining player, who is already tentative about being physical? Our corner situation just might come down to how much faith the Packers have in House, Hayward, and Hyde. I don't think an all out cutting of Tramon Williams is out of the question. What I do know is letting Shields get away will be a huge mistake.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

And then we get to watch a declining player, who is already tentative about being physical? Our corner situation just might come down to how much faith the Packers have in House, Hayward, and Hyde. I don't think an all out cutting of Tramon Williams is out of the question. What I do know is letting Shields get away will be a huge mistake.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Dakota, I couldn't agree more.

Shields is our very best CB, and Ted should lock him up with the same kind of mega deal that kept Tramon around all these years.

I was a House fan, but that has waned after seeing his subpar play and sheer regression this season.

Tramon is an outstanding veteran player who has underperformed for two years, who could restructure and stay, or possibly leave altogether due to his high price tag.

This may be a year where we cut our losses with poor to marginal performers weighed against contract, if we are to truly raise the talent bar. Players under contract I would like to see cut, with high cap figures, and unmatched performance include: A J Hawk, Brad Jones, and possibly Tramon Williams. Take the cap hits now and move along.

Not to take away from Hawk's improved season, but his ceiling is now lower, as is Jones' and Williams'. It would be beneficial for Ted to consider that.

Fat chance.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Why is everyone so certain that Orakpo will even hit FA?

Washington's and Dallas' cap penalty ends after this season. They'll have an extra 20-30 million or so to spend. They'd be crazy if they'd just let a player of Orakpo's caliber walk. Franchise tag seems like a very real possibility.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

given the track record of Ted's recent top picks (injuries galore), Trading would not be a bad option.

2012: 2 have had significant injuries, all 3 have been on IR.

R1:Perry, pretty consistently injured, decent, but not great production. playing out of position.
R2:Worthy, lost this season
R2:Hayward, may as well have been on IR all year.

2011: the entire class (aside from Cobb, who has been on IR once) has not done jack shit for this team.

2010:
R1:Bulaga, on IR twice
R2:Neal, has not played a full season throughout his entire rookie contract. and really only has had one productive season.

2009:
R1: Matthews, annual hammy issues
R1: Raji, blows and/or sucks

in short, R1/R2 have not been kind to us. if that would be their asking price.

however,

this is Ted we are talking about, so nothing will happen.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
10 years ago

given the track record of Ted's recent top picks (injuries galore), Trading would not be a bad option.

2012: 2 have had significant injuries, all 3 have been on IR.

R1:Perry, pretty consistently injured, decent, but not great production. playing out of position.
R2:Worthy, lost this season
R2:Hayward, may as well have been on IR all year.

2011: the entire class (aside from Cobb, who has been on IR once) has not done jack shit for this team.

2010:
R1:Bulaga, on IR twice
R2:Neal, has not played a full season throughout his entire rookie contract. and really only has had one productive season.

2009:
R1: Matthews, annual hammy issues
R1: Raji, blows and/or sucks

in short, R1/R2 have not been kind to us. if that would be their asking price.

however,

this is Ted we are talking about, so nothing will happen.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Great idea gunns! Sign & trade deal.

Actually, I was hoping we worked a trade with BUF for Byrd earlier last season, even if it meant giving up a R1. Top flight FS. Just what we need. Would love to see a deal worked out with Orakpo.
musccy
10 years ago

There are ONLY 3 players, maybe 4 on the list that I feel MUST be re-signed:
Shields
Quarless
EDS
Starks

This notion of "we have to re-sign all of our own players" thing is exactly what has gotten us in trouble.

I mean, thinking we cannot do better than Mike Neal, Lattimore, Kuhn, Jones.... Really? I like some of these guys just fine, but we should be able to do better. And, we can.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I never said the team should sign every player, but also realize that's a lot of quality depth that would have to be replaced by rookies and FAs. Don't forget special teams is an important factor to look at.

I'd add Jones, Jolly, Flynn, and possibly Lattimore or Francois to your list as well.
play2win
10 years ago

I never said the team should sign every player, but also realize that's a lot of quality depth that would have to be replaced by rookies and FAs. Don't forget special teams is an important factor to look at.

I'd add Jones, Jolly, Flynn, and possibly Lattimore or Francois to your list as well.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Yeah, I thought the same and my apologies for not wording that better. I just meant Ted's mantra, and how many fans follow that. My bad musccy.

Sure, there are some who are good. But, we want to upgrade. We should upgrade. Looking back, I would like to see more of Chris Banjo. Had Banjo started in place of all of those Jennings starts, I bet we would have gone 10-6 or 11-5.

MD Jennings just could not make a play on the ball, and that's all we saw from Banjo in preseason. I blame Capers there.
musccy
10 years ago

Why is everyone so certain that Orakpo will even hit FA?

Washington's and Dallas' cap penalty ends after this season. They'll have an extra 20-30 million or so to spend. They'd be crazy if they'd just let a player of Orakpo's caliber walk. Franchise tag seems like a very real possibility.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

The first sentence is indirectly a point I think many of us miss.

Just because there happens to be a FA out there doesn't mean the Packers didn't make a play at them, or that the FA wants to come to GB.

Steven Jackson is a good example. Granted, I believe it was because the Packers low-balled him relative to Atlanta (and in hindsight that was a good thing) but point being how many other "Steven Jackson's" are there where the Packers made a play at them, but the FA wasn't interested. It takes two to tango.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Regarding Orakpo, it's true there will be a lot of demand for him; It's also true that Thompson very seldom even tries for such signings - most seasons, most situations, I go along with that; I'd be happy to have the Packers get him, but considering his injury(s) and probable cost, I'd rather see us sign Worilds, who is younger, apparently less of a health risk, and maybe just as good. The bottom line is, we will have a MUCH better team if we can get a quality OLB opposite Matthews, and either of those guys is more sure than what we could draft without moving up.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

But you said in another post he would get another big payday. Why would he get another big payday if he was going to be a declining player.

All I know is that several of us were discussing a Williams restructuring, you came in and said we were pulling stuff out of our asses (not sure where you are getting your inside information from) and then started harping on the importance of signing Shields, a point on which no one disagrees.

I also agree with you that cutting Williams is a distinct possibility. I pretty much said as much when I said it is not very likely that Williams will play for the Packers in 2014 with a 9.5 million cap hit. The other option is a restructure which I think is more likely.
Bigbyfan
10 years ago

Regarding Orakpo, it's true there will be a lot of demand for him; It's also true that Thompson very seldom even tries for such signings - most seasons, most situations, I go along with that; I'd be happy to have the Packers get him, but considering his injury(s) and probable cost, I'd rather see us sign Worilds, who is younger, apparently less of a health risk, and maybe just as good. The bottom line is, we will have a MUCH better team if we can get a quality OLB opposite Matthews, and either of those guys is more sure than what we could draft without moving up.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

All we need is another highly paid, injury prone OLB...

My dream offseason

Give Jarius Byrd whatever he wants to come to GB.
Sign Shields and EDS long term.
Give Jolly and Pickett one year deals.
Sign Jones only if it you can get him for real cheap.
Bring back Flynn to be Rodgers' career back up.
Restructure Tramon's contract (even though he was one of our only players on defense who showed up the last few weeks)
Trade up in draft to pick Mosley if he can be had outside the top 10.
Cut Brad Jones.
I win the lottery.

This would do wonders for our title chances next year and beyond.

Edit: see if you can sign Cobb and Nelson to extensions before they're free agents next year
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.