MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY – While Mike McCarthy was right when he said that there was much to be learned from the 2013 season, there is one stark lesson that stands above all others:

The Green Bay Packers just aren’t very good without Aaron Rodgers at quarterback.

In a quarterback-driven league, that’s not an indictment, it’s simply the truth. McCarthy’s offense is – by the coach’s own admission – built around the quarterback, and while the emergence of rookie running back Eddie Lacy certainly enhances McCarthy’s scheme, Rodgers still is the one who makes it go.

That’s precisely why the Packers head coach thought the 2013 offense was going to be the most productive in Packers history. Then Rodgers broke his left collarbone on Nov. 4, and it all went to hell in the donut hole of a CT scan machine.

To be sure, prodigal backup quarterback Matt Flynn’s return saved the season, as he engineered four fourth-quarter comebacks that resulted in a tie with Minnesota and one-point victories over Atlanta and Dallas (he also had a fourth-quarter comeback against Pittsburgh, but the Packers ended up losing that game) after veteran Seneca Wallace and ex-practice squad third-stringer Scott Tolzien initially started in Rodgers’ stead.

To their credit, the Packers managed to still win the NFC North at 8-7-1 – despite going 0-for-November (0-4-1) and 2-5-1 without Rodgers – but even their biggest boosters must admit that it was largely because the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears choked away their respective seasons.

While Rodgers’ return against the Bears on Dec. 29 – and his game-winning, fourth-quarter, last-minute, fourth-down touchdown pass to Randall Cobb – sent the Packers into the playoffs, perhaps it also delivered one final, valuable lesson in appreciation for the Packers as an organization and for their passionate fans: That a two-decade run of uninterrupted elite quarterback play – with Brett Favre from 1992 through 2007 and with Rodgers from 2008 through 2013 – is not a birthright and not something to be taken for granted.

That could be why, when someone asked McCarthy during his season wrap-up press conference Wednesday whether his team was too reliant on Rodgers, the coach didn’t really know what to say.

While he wanted to answer the question honestly, doing so meant tacitly admitting that the Packers not only weren’t good enough to rise above such a devastating loss, they couldn’t even tread water without him.

“Well, I mean, Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the National Football League. So to say you’re too reliant on him, it depends on what side of the fence you want to look at,” McCarthy replied. “Does he make a difference on a football team? Absolutely. I think that’s stating the obvious. He makes a difference, not only when we walks on the field on Sunday, but when he’s involved in the meetings as a starting quarterback, when he’s practicing, the energy, the ability, the experience, the attitude that he brings to practice field. Clearly he makes a difference when he plays.

“How many teams play with four quarterbacks in a season and win a division championship? So, yeah, it was definitely a challenge. Was our confidence challenged? Absolutely it was challenged. But that’s part of the evaluation. You have to go back and look at, ‘Who stepped up during those times? Who stepped up when Seneca was in there? Who stepped up when Scott played and Matt? Those are the things you have to make sure you go back and look at and make sure that’s part of your evaluation.”

Whether McCarthy’s evaluation will lead to a different ending to the 2014 season than the Packers experienced in 2013 remains to be seen.

In the meantime, here's a look back on the year that was:

The AWARDS

Most valuable player: Aaron Rodgers, QB
Never has a player’s absence been more profoundly felt in Green Bay, at least not since the franchise’s renaissance began with GM Ron Wolf’s hiring in late 1991. The Packers were lucky that they never truly found out what life would have been like without Brett Favre. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the ultimate NFL ironman would have missed some time in today’s safety-conscious (in a CYA kind of way) NFL with some of his injuries, and that wouldn’t have been any more an indictment of his legendary toughness than it should be of Rodgers after he missed essentially eight games. While Rodgers would not explicitly say that he played before his collarbone was 100 percent healed, he returned in the nick of time to extend the Packers’ run of division titles to three and their streak of playoff berths to five. But Rodgers unRodgerslike performance in the team’s 23-20 NFC Wild Card Playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers only underscored the point: They need Rodgers on top of his game in order to win anything of significance.
“The performance I had wasn’t good enough to win,” Rodgers said on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN, 100.5 FM ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com at midweek. “I put a lot on my shoulders. The team expects greatness out of me every week. They didn’t get it on Sunday. So I’m disappointed about that.”

Most valuable player not named Aaron Rodgers: Eddie Lacy, RB
What an incredible breath of fresh air Lacy was. Quiet, humble and easy to like, Lacy not only transforms into a violent, tackle-busting runner with the ball in his hands, he transformed the offense, too. If only Rodgers had been able to join in him the backfield for all 16 games. Even when Ryan Grant was running for 1,200-plus yards during the 2008 and 2009 seasons, the Packers didn’t have a running back who commanded such respect from a defense. Lacy will do for Rodgers what franchise all-time leading rusher Ahman Green did for Favre in the mid-2000s.

“It’ll be great to have Aaron and Eddie back and ready to go next year,” offensive coordinator Tom Clements said. “It just makes it so the defense has to defend against everything – the run, the pass, all types of passes, the various runs. It makes, as long as you can execute, it makes playing offense fun. So we’re looking forward to it.”

Comeback player of the year: Johnny Jolly, DT
While there were other candidates, it’s hard to top the incredible story that Jolly was. After three years away from the game while serving an NFL suspension for substance abuse – not to mention six months of a six-year prison sentence in his native Houston – Jolly went from being an addict who was high while watching the team win Super Bowl XLV without him three years earlier to a key contributor on the defensive line. Slowed by a groin injury at midseason and felled by a neck injury that landed him on injured reserve, Jolly didn’t get to write a storybook ending to his 2013 season, but he did prove to be much more than a feel-good story by playing well and giving the locker room a much-needed energy boost. An unrestricted free agent, if his neck is OK he’s worth bringing back, even at age 30.

Offensive player of the year: Jordy Nelson, WR
Nelson did everything he could to explain away his career highs in receptions (85) and receiving yards (1,314) as merely functions of him being healthy for 16 games, and while his position has some merit after he missed four games and parts of two others with a hamstring injury in 2012, it does a disservice to just how good Nelson was this season. Despite playing with Rodgers, Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn, his production remained consistent – despite fellow receivers Randall Cobb and James Jones being sidelined or slowed by injury.

“I’m not saying more things were designed for me, but obviously [Jarrett] Boykin didn’t have many reps in games and Myles [White] was our third receiver for a bit. So the focus kind of came to me,” Nelson said. “A lot of it is about the opportunity. The more opportunities you get the more comfortable you’ll be in running those routes and how to get open.”

Defensive player of the year: Mike Daniels, DT
Remember when Cullen Jenkins was such a good pass-rushing complement to outside linebacker Clay Matthews that defensive coordinator Dom Capers started lining the two up on opposite sides of the formation – even though Jenkins was a down lineman and Matthews a linebacker – so they could play off each other? Perhaps that’ll be the approach with Daniels going forward. One of six straight picks used on defensive players in the 2012 NFL Draft, Daniels, a fourth-round pick, was the only one who consistently contributed this season. While Matthews was sidelined by a broken thumb – twice – and fellow 2009 first-round pick B.J. Raji’s role diminished, the Packers may have unearthed an actual playmaker who was right under their noses.

“It’s football. We’ve been playing this game our whole lives. It doesn’t matter the system, whatever. If you’re a good player, you’re going to make the plays,” Daniels said. “We’re good players.”

Special teams player of the year: Mason Crosby, K
What an astonishing turnaround story Crosby was. A year after putting his job in serious peril by making only 21 of 33 field-goal attempts, Crosby rose to the training-camp challenge of Giorgio Tavecchio, then answered when the team cut his salary from $2.4 million to $800,00 and dared him to earn it back through incentives. And wouldn’t you know, he hit every one – just like he hit almost every kick he attempted. Crosby finished the year having made 33 of 37 kicks for an 89.7 accuracy rate, only 26 points higher than the league-worst 63.6 percent “success” rate he had last year.

“My goal was 90 percent, and I wanted to be there. So in that sense it’s almost a positive to me,” Crosby said of having something to shoot for next year. “I accomplished a lot of goals and a lot of things I wanted to do. But I want to be over that 90 percent for a season. So that definitely will keep my focus sharp for the offseason and I’ll keep working toward that.”

Rookie of the year: David Bakhtiari, LT.
Yes, Lacy would seem to be the frontrunner for the NFL offensive rookie of the year award, which will be announced on the eve of Super Bowl XLVIII at the annual NFL Honors event. But he wasn’t the only rookie to deliver, and there’s an argument to be made that after veteran Bryan Bulaga’s season-ending knee injury in training camp, the entire season could have been lost had Bakhtiari, a rookie fourth-round pick from Colorado, hadn’t risen to the challenge. While he wasn’t perfect, there’s no denying he was one of the season’s saviors.

“I’m a realist. Things are going to happen. It’s how you’re able to respond to it,” Bakhtiari said. “I’m pretty sure the organization is happy. They haven’t said anything to me. And I still have my job, so I guess they trust me a little bit.”

Source  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
If they signed Flynn as soon as he was cut by the Raiders, we go .500 in that span, at least.

The Seneca Wallace fiasco was a fluke. Mike will always under normal circumstances have a developmental player ready in that place. Tolzien's a year away.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
10 years ago
I can't argue with those awards. Seem pretty spot on if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

If they signed Flynn as soon as he was cut by the Raiders, we go .500 in that span, at least.

The Seneca Wallace fiasco was a fluke. Mike will always under normal circumstances have a developmental player ready in that place. Tolzien's a year away.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Let's say October 10th, 2013 is when they could have signed Matt Flynn without waiver claim or what have you. That is just prior to the Ravens game. Who do you cut for a guy who had rumors about a bum elbow? You can't cut Seneca Wallace because you had groomed him all this time to be the backup. You have to wait til Flynn is up to speed. Give that a week or two.

So, we're just shy of the Ravens game and need to add a 3rd QB to the roster even though the staff feels Wallace has shown them he can fill in spot duty just fine for Rodgers. That makes a lot of sense when you remove the masterful hindsight 20/20 from it.

Then what if they cut a WR to make room? Wait, hindsight says they wouldn't cut a WR because Cobb got injured during the Ravens game.

Ok okay, so you say then they should have signed him after the Ravens game to fill the spot by Cobb. You're right, except the Bills did just that.

This whole should have signed Flynn sooner rant lacks any credible thinking process involved and looks at the pickup strictly from a "Hey it worked for me in Madden"-approach.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Let's say October 10th, 2013 is when they could have signed Matt Flynn without waiver claim or what have you. That is just prior to the Ravens game. Who do you cut for a guy who had rumors about a bum elbow? You can't cut Seneca Wallace because you had groomed him all this time to be the backup. You have to wait til Flynn is up to speed. Give that a week or two.

So, we're just shy of the Ravens game and need to add a 3rd QB to the roster even though the staff feels Wallace has shown them he can fill in spot duty just fine for Rodgers. That makes a lot of sense when you remove the masterful hindsight 20/20 from it.

Then what if they cut a WR to make room? Wait, hindsight says they wouldn't cut a WR because Cobb got injured during the Ravens game.

Ok okay, so you say then they should have signed him after the Ravens game to fill the spot by Cobb. You're right, except the Bills did just that.

This whole should have signed Flynn sooner rant lacks any credible thinking process involved and looks at the pickup strictly from a "Hey it worked for me in Madden"-approach.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've never played Madden in my entire life.

Maybe they didn't realize Wallace was a fraud. Still, they should've made the move sooner.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago
I understand it's more complicated than it usually seems, but I think many of us wanted Flynn as soon as he was cut by the Raiders. That's not hindsight, at all. I didn't think much of the bum elbow issue, and it couldn't have been THAT bad since it looked OK a few weeks later. It would have been worth the risk to sign him immediately. There was someone on the bottom of the roster that could have been cut, imo, at least when it comes to such an important position.

Either way, I was confident the Packers wouldn't be going anywhere in the playoffs unless they somehow played a team like the Vikings in the first round, so it really doesn't matter.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I understand it's more complicated than it usually seems, but I think many of us wanted Flynn as soon as he was cut by the Raiders. That's not hindsight, at all. I didn't think much of the bum elbow issue, and it couldn't have been THAT bad since it looked OK a few weeks later. It would have been worth the risk to sign him immediately. There was someone on the bottom of the roster that could have been cut, imo, at least when it comes to such an important position.

Either way, I was confident the Packers wouldn't be going anywhere in the playoffs unless they somehow played a team like the Vikings in the first round, so it really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Shitcan Seneca. I think Tolzien was on the PS at the time. Anyway, they could also have IR'd someone. Seemed like every week or two they'd be IRing someone.

They might have even gotten a roster exemption for him for a week or two. If his arm really was hurt, they could have at least taken a look at him.
Rockmolder
10 years ago

I've never played Madden in my entire life.

Maybe they didn't realize Wallace was a fraud. Still, they should've made the move sooner.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

After years of being a competent back-up, you got all that from that one game where he went in cold, having barely run with the 1st team and that 5/5, 25 yard start he had against the Eagles, before ending up on IR?
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago
Good try at a rationalization to have RoY not be Lacy, but seriously, it's Lacy. Hard to have a defensive player of the year, but I would think Shields more than Daniels. Hawk had a pretty good year and although I will never be a fan, his commitment to the team and to keeping himself on the field is something I certainly respect.
nerdmann
10 years ago

After years of being a competent back-up, you got all that from that one game where he went in cold, having barely run with the 1st team and that 5/5, 25 yard start he had against the Eagles, before ending up on IR?

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Seneca was done. Maybe 3 years ago he still had something. Not this year.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (10h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (11h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (11h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (12h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.