play2win
10 years ago

What do you guys think happens with the OL next year?

I think we should keep Bakhtiari at LT. He struggled out of the gate and wasn't great in run blocking but he did improve throughout the year and was a bit undersized. It depends if he can put on some weight/strength during the offseason which I think he can but he's got more exp playing LT than Bulaga does now. I say let Sherrod compete with Bakhtiari at LT and let Bulaga lock down RT where we know he can play. I am also hoping EDS can be re signed, guy had a really underrated year at C and pretty much looked every bit as good as Wells has.

Here's what I'm thinking

LT - Bakhtiari/Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - EDS (I guess Tretter if EDS is not signed though I'd not be too excited about that)
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga

I think that's a great set up assuming Bakhtiari can do what he needs to do in the offseason or even Sherrod with the first offseason of his career. Then we've got an experienced guy in Barclay who can play G/T as a back up. Bulaga should be GtG since his injury was so early and hopefully something can get done with EDS because he proved he can be reliable.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I think this is the best set up for the Packers moving forward. I like Bakhtiari and Sitton together, and I think Bakhtiari will be a much different player in year 2, much improved. I'm also excited to see what we have in Tretter. But, I think our OL is going to be fine with this lineup in 2014.
Yerko
10 years ago
I think everyone should be pleased with the way Bahktairi played this season. He was a 4th round draft pick that was undersized and was looking to be developed and before the season had even started, he was thrown into the left tackle position. Add to that, his competition across from him was not very easy throughout the entire season. He held his own and had some development.

I am excited for this unit of the team next year, if all goes accordingly. If Ted Thompson can get EDS back, you finally have a unit of guys together for more than two years. Sitton-EDS-Lang have proven to be a good middle anchor for this offensive line and retaining that piece will make the entire unit better.

Next season, we will see competition at at the tackle positions. Throw away the "1st round draft pick" tag for Sherrod and Bulaga. They will and should be competing for a starting spot at LT and RT. This line can have many options at the tackle positions. I see it going down like this....

LT- Bahktiari
LG- Sitton
C- EDS
RG- Lang
RT- Bulaga

This will leave Tretter as the back-up center and with the way McCarthy likes to use some of his linemen, Sherrod and Barclay would be able to fill in any of the other positions in case of injury. This is my prediction because I am not getting my hopes up about Sherrod. His injury was terrible and his rehabilitation kept him out of the game for two years. He's the long shot out of the entire unit, imo.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Sitton is sure.
Every other OL player on the roster has questions. Some won't evolve/develop/come back and some might. I wish I could be optimistic. But I can't.

Oh, a couple will probably be sufficient to the team's needs and anchor two other positions; some of the existing "potential" will be realized. But whether it is center, the other guard, and/or tackles, there are going to be a couple starters who are going to be weak/mediocre, and the depth is going to be weak/mediocre pretty much across the board.one of the other four positions. I simply don't think the current roster has enough for the problems to be solved.

There are more problems on defense -- the offensive side problems are only on the line whereas the defense has problems in line, at linebacker, and in the backfield. But there were substantial issues on the offensive line at the end of the season last year, and there are substantial issues on the offensive line now. I think that confidence that the current roster is going to improve its performance enough is misplaced confidence.

Back in the days when I used to rant about Colledge,Spitz, Moll, et al, we had one player of serious quality (Tausch) and one player whose best years were behind him (Clifton), and a lot of potential and a lot of expected development/growth/return from injuries. Now we have one stud (Sitton), players that provide some small grounds for optimism (Lang, Dietrich-Smith, Bulaga returning) and a lot of unproven pro "potential" (Sherrod, Baktiari, Tretter).

Free agency and trades for stud OL is simply not going to happen under TT. And now, clearly, there are multiple big needs on defense (DT, ILB, SS/FS, OLB/DE) that are likely to dominate the high draft picks. So we're looking at, what, at most, late-round draft picks?

I don't see how anyone can be surprised that Rodgers went down for multiple games this year. Given the performance, so far, of OL personnel not named Sitton, I think it will be luck if it doesn't happen again.

A solitary ace can draw or bluff on the river to a winning hand from time to time. But most of the time you're just going to be relegated to ranting about the unfairness of the game (the equivalent of "injuries") or complaining about the dealer ("bad calls by the ref") as you go home again. Broke. Again. Because mostly you're playing a hand that should have been folded on the flop or earlier.

OL-wise, the Packers enter this off-season the way they have entered every offseason since Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy came to town. Whether because of hubris, skills decline, or salary cap hell, pick whatever reason you want -- 2005 and 2006 found the Packers without Wahle, Rivera, and Flanagan, and watching. They needed a lot better OL performance than was on likely with the current roster then....and they still need it now.

So for me, in the end, it doesn't much matter which five you pencil in as starters or where. I don't think the current OL roster has enough to get the level of performance that a championship contender needs.

Bleh. Thinking about the Packer's likely OL in 2014 is just to depressing. Might as well go back to work.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

While he definitely got outplayed at times, there weren't that many times where Bahk seemed totally overwhelmed by playing LT. He also showed a lot of backbone in the playoff game vs Aldon Smith and constantly got in his face and didn't back down at all. If EDS can't be resigned, I wouldn't be surprised if Barclay takes over the position. Though if they want him to play center at all, they need to have him work on it all offseason, not TC and allowing him to work through mistakes by not yo-yoing him around between positions like they did.

LT: Bahk/Sherrod
LG: Sitton
C: EDS/Barclay
RG: Lang
RT: Bulaga/Sherrod

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Bakhtiari and Sherrod are those tall, long armed guys that are prototypical for the L side. Bulaga can get it done there, but he's played on the R side now for awhile, so I'd just as soon keep him there.

Bakhtiari and Sherrod can compete to start. Whoever doesn't win that battle can be the backup swing tackle. So the depth will be Bakh/Sherrod, then Barclay...

Sitton and Lang will start at G with Barclay and probably Tretter and Van Roten backing them up. This of course depends on who wins the starting C spot, EDS or Tretter. EDS has proven he can get it done, but he's not elite. Still, he's won the job until someone proves they're better than him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago

Sitton is sure.
Every other OL player on the roster has questions. Some won't evolve/develop/come back and some might. I wish I could be optimistic. But I can't.

Oh, a couple will probably be sufficient to the team's needs and anchor two other positions; some of the existing "potential" will be realized. But whether it is center, the other guard, and/or tackles, there are going to be a couple starters who are going to be weak/mediocre, and the depth is going to be weak/mediocre pretty much across the board.one of the other four positions. I simply don't think the current roster has enough for the problems to be solved.

There are more problems on defense -- the offensive side problems are only on the line whereas the defense has problems in line, at linebacker, and in the backfield. But there were substantial issues on the offensive line at the end of the season last year, and there are substantial issues on the offensive line now. I think that confidence that the current roster is going to improve its performance enough is misplaced confidence.

Back in the days when I used to rant about Colledge,Spitz, Moll, et al, we had one player of serious quality (Tausch) and one player whose best years were behind him (Clifton), and a lot of potential and a lot of expected development/growth/return from injuries. Now we have one stud (Sitton), players that provide some small grounds for optimism (Lang, Dietrich-Smith, Bulaga returning) and a lot of unproven pro "potential" (Sherrod, Baktiari, Tretter).

Free agency and trades for stud OL is simply not going to happen under TT. And now, clearly, there are multiple big needs on defense (DT, ILB, SS/FS, OLB/DE) that are likely to dominate the high draft picks. So we're looking at, what, at most, late-round draft picks?

I don't see how anyone can be surprised that Rodgers went down for multiple games this year. Given the performance, so far, of OL personnel not named Sitton, I think it will be luck if it doesn't happen again.

A solitary ace can draw or bluff on the river to a winning hand from time to time. But most of the time you're just going to be relegated to ranting about the unfairness of the game (the equivalent of "injuries") or complaining about the dealer ("bad calls by the ref") as you go home again. Broke. Again. Because mostly you're playing a hand that should have been folded on the flop or earlier.

OL-wise, the Packers enter this off-season the way they have entered every offseason since Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy came to town. Whether because of hubris, skills decline, or salary cap hell, pick whatever reason you want -- 2005 and 2006 found the Packers without Wahle, Rivera, and Flanagan, and watching. They needed a lot better OL performance than was on likely with the current roster then....and they still need it now.

So for me, in the end, it doesn't much matter which five you pencil in as starters or where. I don't think the current OL roster has enough to get the level of performance that a championship contender needs.

Bleh. Thinking about the Packer's likely OL in 2014 is just to depressing. Might as well go back to work.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I don't know, I think the Packers offensive line is shaping up to look the best it has in years, as long as guys don't go down with season ending injuries early. They aren't likely to be great or elite, but I think they will be pretty good, which is about as good as we can hope for. Aaron Rodgers and Eddie Lacy with just a GOOD offensive line will be more than good enough to be a contender. I think Bulaga returns to be a good RT that can mostly hold his own. That allows the Packers to give more help to whomever the LT will be.

So while the offensive line could be better, I don't think it's going to necessarily be a weakness. They will have "good" players almost across the board, and probably a couple of solid backups. That's a lot better than many other teams around the league have. Moreover, it's not unreasonable to think there could be a higher round draft pick (2nd-4th rounder) brought in that could end up pushing for a starting position.

Unless the offensive line is devastated by injuries, I'm not overly concerned about that unit. I am, however, concerned about the defense as a whole. From Clay Mathews to MD Jennings, or whoever else will be playing safety.

luigis
10 years ago
I'm really curious about the many posters that consider Sherrod a probable starter.

He's never healthy and when he was healthy he was behing Newhouse in the depth chart.
Try to think how anyone can be worst than Newhouse... difficult isn't it?

The prospect that intrigues me is Tretter. I think he can fight for a starting spot at center.

Luis
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
LT: Derek Sherrod
LG: Josh Sitton
C: T.J. Lang
RG: David Bakhtiari
RT: Bryan Bulaga
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

LT: Derek Sherrod
LG: Josh Sitton
C: T.J. Lang
RG: David Bakhtiari
RT: Bryan Bulaga

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Bacteria's way too lanky to play inside.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

I'm really curious about the many posters that consider Sherrod a probable starter.

He's never healthy and when he was healthy he was behing Newhouse in the depth chart.

The prospect that intrigues me is Tretter. I think he can fight for a starting spot at center.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Dude was drafted in the strike year, so he never had an offseason. Still hasn't. But he will now. (Not to jinx him of course.)

Didn't he go his final two years of college without giving up a sack? He's got the skills.

They messed him up trying to play him at G. He was coming on at RT when he got hurt.

steveishere
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Sherrod has had 1 injury. He's never had an offseason and as far as being "healthy" he was cleared for practice yes but he hadn't put on a set of pads for 2 years, where he was on the depth chart doesn't necessarily reflect his ability. had he come back before the season started and had an offseason and a years worth of practices and then was still buried on the depth chart then year that says something.